DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home calculator

Tidal

Reactions
So I flew my drone today over the ocean being very conscious of the battery and that suggested return to home metre so 4 minute sbegir edit suggested I return home I returned home thinking I was safe but nope 800m out she auto landed into the sea and I was devasted. What is at fault here?? I flew 3.8km so I should have been fine right? Just wont to find out if that return to home recommendation is very accurate?

Thanks, Josh

It goes off of distance traveled. But if your flying with the wind out there it's not using much power. When you turn around and see fighting the wind it has to work MUCH harder using way more power coming up short as you found out.

So I flew my drone today over the ocean being very conscious of the battery and that suggested return to home metre so 4 minute sbegir edit suggested I return home I returned home thinking I was safe but nope 800m out she auto landed into the sea and I was devasted. What is at fault here?? I flew 3.8km so I should have been fine right? Just wont to find out if that return to home recommendation is very accurate?

Thanks, Josh

RTH has no way of calculating wind, air temperature etc as these effect flight time and speed so at best it's a guide.

I have a few locations I fly in and it's the wind direction that really determine where I'm going to fly as I always try to have a head wind on my out bound flight nd a tail wind on my return leg.

So you dropped to the 10% battery level ?

We're you flying in sports mode or did you hit RTH mode ?

Last edited:
It goes off of distance traveled. But if your flying with the wind out there it's not using much power. When you turn around and see fighting the wind it has to work MUCH harder using way more power coming up short as you found out.

But the wind was blowing onshore in my direction so assisting it wich is why I don’t see why it fell short

What recommendation were you following?
Inside the Mavic’s pocket-sized remote controller is DJI’s brand new OcuSync transmission technology, with a range of 4.3mi (7km)*, HD 720p long range and Full HD 1080p short range video streaming.*Unobstructed, free of interference, when FCC compliant.

Inside the Mavic’s pocket-sized remote controller is DJI’s brand new OcuSync transmission technology, with a range of 4.3mi (7km)*, HD 720p long range and Full HD 1080p short range video streaming.*Unobstructed, free of interference, when FCC compliant.

What does that have to do with estimating RTH?

Could it simply be a small failure? And is it worth maybe chatting to dji?

What does that have to do with estimating RTH?
Sorry Bud, I was indicating that the recommendation he followed, was Dji's own claims... that it could fly 7 k's away..... so 3.8 k's out is way within the capabilities, especially with a tail wind on the way home??? !!

Sorry Bud, I was indicating that the recommendation he followed, was Dji's own claims... that it could fly 7 k's away..... so 3.8 k's out is way within the capabilities, especially with a tail wind on the way home??? !!

Do you think with that in mind it’s worth taking the matter up with dji?

Winds, especially over large bodies of water are often deceiving. On shore they may feel like they are blowing one direction when in reality up a 100 feet Nd out a ways can be a totally different story.

The same as how it can be a light 5 mph wind on the ground but up a cpl hundred feet the wind maybe blowing at 30 mph.

But those are completely different specifications - that's just the distance over which the communication system works, not necessarily the range of the aircraft, which depends on many other factors.

I
Winds, especially over large bodies of water are often deceiving. On shore they may feel like they are blowing one direction when in reality up a 100 feet Nd out a ways can be a totally different story.

The same as how it can be a light 5 mph wind on the ground but up a cpl hundred feet the wind maybe blowing at 30 mph.
I checked the wind offshore same story blowing In land so with the tail

Winds out at sea where 10km/h and blowing mostly onshore however I will note blowing parallel to the shore. But that shouldn’t explain falling short 800- 1.3 km short after flying 3.8 out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S