DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home without Smart RTH?

lomposlapos

Reactions
Other than Smart RTH, what options I have to bring back an out-of-sight drone directly over the landing site?

if you use another device, phone, tablet, CS, etc you can see the orientation of the aircraft and it will list, among other things, the real-time distance from you home point. So you can pilot it by these things if you find yourself accidentally out of VLOS. You might also recognize the terrain landmarks to bring it home.

The manual has four pages on RTH and it's probably the most important aspect of flying the Mavic to understand.
See from p15 here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/20190417/Mavic_2_Pro_Zoom_User_Manual_v2.0_en_.pdf
Go to a large, open area and do some testing to understand how RTH works and how to start it and cancel it.
Thats good advice. I observe the drone doing at least one RTH every time I go out with it, to get familiar with what it does.

The only comment I have as a result of what I've learned about Smart RTH is to turn off the obstacle avoidance in RTH so it returns at double the speed and doesnt pull up all the time when flyign toward the sun.

Reactions: mereflyer
Thats good advice. I observe the drone doing at least one RTH every time I go out with it, to get familiar with what it does.

The only comment I have as a result of what I've learned about Smart RTH is to turn off the obstacle avoidance in RTH so it returns at double the speed and doesnt pull up all the time when flyign toward the sun.
I just set my RTH altitude to 40 meters. Unless I’m in an unfamiliar treed or mountainous area.

Other than Smart RTH, what options I have to bring back an out-of-sight drone directly over the landing site?

If you're using Litchi you should be able to set the controller to home lock and pull back on the right stick, should bring it right to you. Make sure you have enough altitude to pass over any obsticles.

There is probably a way to set home lock in the DJI app but I'm not familiar. In Litchi it's right on the screen, left side.

Reactions: Gryphon962
If you're using Litchi you should be able to set the controller to home lock and pull back on the right stick, should bring it right to you. Make sure you have enough altitude to pass over any obsticles.

There is probably a way to set home lock in the DJI app but I'm not familiar. In Litchi it's right on the screen, left side.

THIS. Huge + for Litchi with this feature. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: Hauptmann

The drone sets home point at take-off automatically in DJIGo. It will announce it and show a banner on the screen.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf