DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID and FAA Declaration of Compliance

wilkie647

Reactions
After updating the firmware on my mavic 2 pro, rid was installed correctly. I sent the following question to FAA:
Now that DJI has released the RID firmware update for my drone (Mavic 2 Pro) and I have updated both the drone and controller, how long before it will show up on your Declaration of Compliance web page?

The response I got from the FAA was:

Your inquiry is more appropriate for DJI. While they may have pushed a firmware update to you as a customer, DJI has not submitted a remote ID DOC for the Mavic 2 Pro to the FAA as required by 14 CFR Part 89 (the remote ID rule). Absent an FAA-accepted DOC, your drone is not compliant.

I sent the FAA response to DJI and their response basically was that they're putting together a package to submit to the FAA which should be completed by April of next year.

they're putting together a package to submit to the FAA which should be completed by April of next year
And here's to hoping they actually meant March since that's the (current) new deadline.

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Here are some rough examples with the FAA RID DoC (updated):

DJI Air 3 launch date: Jul 23 (Nov 28)
DJI Mini 4 Pro launch date: Sep 25 (Nov 28)
DJI Mavic 2 sw update: Nov 23 (estimated Jan 28 - Mar 28)

After updating the firmware on my mavic 2 pro, rid was installed correctly. I sent the following question to FAA:
Now that DJI has released the RID firmware update for my drone (Mavic 2 Pro) and I have updated both the drone and controller, how long before it will show up on your Declaration of Compliance web page?

Your inquiry is more appropriate for DJI. While they may have pushed a firmware update to you as a customer, DJI has not submitted a remote ID DOC for the Mavic 2 Pro to the FAA as required by 14 CFR Part 89 (the remote ID rule). Absent an FAA-accepted DOC, your drone is not compliant.

I sent the FAA response to DJI and their response basically was that they're putting together a package to submit to the FAA which should be completed by April of next year.
I ran into a problem with registering my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday with the FAA - their form wouldn't take my information if I stated that the drone had RID. Their email back to me was the same - DJI needs to submit a Declaration of Compliance for the Mavic 2 Pro. Since the FAA has put a 6 month delay on implementing the new RID rules I guess an April date for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro really isn't a problem. Generally though, if a Mavic 2 Pro is now transmitting (as mine is), it can still be detected, however there is no information generated about the operator's name or SN of the controller (I think).

I ran into a problem with registering my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday with the FAA - their form wouldn't take my information if I stated that the drone had RID. Their email back to me was the same - DJI needs to submit a Declaration of Compliance for the Mavic 2 Pro. Since the FAA has put a 6 month delay on implementing the new RID rules I guess an April date for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro really isn't a problem. Generally though, if a Mavic 2 Pro is now transmitting (as mine is), it can still be detected, however there is no information generated about the operator's name or SN of the controller (I think).
Correction - the FAA has extended compliance by 3 months, not 6 - sorry about that. Which brings up another question - the FAA seems to hold the operator accountable even though the drone is transmitting a remote id signal according to the rules although DJI hasn't submitted a Declaration of Compliance?

Which brings up another question - the FAA seems to hold the operator accountable even though the drone is transmitting a remote id signal according to the rules although DJI hasn't submitted a Declaration of Compliance?

They're not holding you accountable, they're just stating that you're not in compliance until DJI does their part.

And I wouldn't complain about the FAA taking owner-operators to task for DJI's tardiness until you actually see someone being fined for being out of compliance. Letting those big entities wrestle with their legalese is the best we can do.

Chris

Reactions: Oldwest2
....even though the drone is transmitting a remote id signal according to the rules although DJI hasn't submitted a Declaration of Compliance?
How do you know for sure the drone is transmitting a remote id signal according to the rules until the DoC from the FAA proves it finally? It could be your drone is transmitting but it's not quite meeting the full spec. Only a DoC will green light the implementation process which is possible what is happening to FPV, their setup is not up to spec (ie. you can disconnect the mobile after take-off).

I looked on the compliance list and the Mavic 2 Pro is listed.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Mavic 2 Pro RID000000757.pdf
    80.8 KB · Views: 9
I was able to edit my one of my M2P registration to add the RID serial number on 12/14/23 to enter it correctly you add 1581F163 to the front of your M2P's serial# and then submit. Assuming you've updated to the latest firmware up to this point. The FAA and DJI now have completed a digital handshake. I can confirm this by now seeing a Remote ID Serial # in the About section in DJI Go 4 when drone is powered on with controller. ( however, it does disappear from the About section after I lift off???)

All systems seem point to that I am RID compliant. However, before I tell my entire team of pilots to complete the same procedure, I want to be sure this is broadcasting.... I don't know how to verify. Below was from an article I ran across. It almost seems like it would be working but only be visible to authorities and the FAA.

"Currently the FAA says, “The session ID will be uniquely identifiable such that law enforcement and the FAA can correlate each session ID to a specific drone's serial number, but this ability will not be publicly available. The FAA is developing a strategy for assignment of session ID to drone pilots and will consider existing policies when developing the session ID policy. In addition, the FAA will seek public comment on the session ID policy prior to finalizing it.”
When registering a Remote ID enabled drone on the FAA Drone Zone you are prompted to enter the Remote ID serial number, which will allow for tracking who is piloting which drone through the FAAs database. It has not been determined whether this will be public information or only available upon request to the FAA."

I was able to edit my one of my M2P registration to add the RID serial number on 12/14/23 to enter it correctly you add 1581F163 to the front of your M2P's serial# and then submit. Assuming you've updated to the latest firmware up to this point. The FAA and DJI now have completed a digital handshake. I can confirm this by now seeing a Remote ID Serial # in the About section in DJI Go 4 when drone is powered on with controller. ( however, it does disappear from the About section after I lift off???)

All systems seem point to that I am RID compliant. However, before I tell my entire team of pilots to complete the same procedure, I want to be sure this is broadcasting.... I don't know how to verify. Below was from an article I ran across. It almost seems like it would be working but only be visible to authorities and the FAA.

"Currently the FAA says, “The session ID will be uniquely identifiable such that law enforcement and the FAA can correlate each session ID to a specific drone's serial number, but this ability will not be publicly available. The FAA is developing a strategy for assignment of session ID to drone pilots and will consider existing policies when developing the session ID policy. In addition, the FAA will seek public comment on the session ID policy prior to finalizing it.”
When registering a Remote ID enabled drone on the FAA Drone Zone you are prompted to enter the Remote ID serial number, which will allow for tracking who is piloting which drone through the FAAs database. It has not been determined whether this will be public information or only available upon request to the FAA."

Are you able to detect the drone in flight using the Drone Scanner app or something similar?

Wouldn’t this explain why I can’t get authorization from the FAA in class D airspace?

Figured out my own question and the answer is no

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1