DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID Broadcasting Module

just looking to get a module for a Mini 2
As of right now, you won't need a module until at least September 16, 2023 (see more details here). It might make sense to wait it out a bit and see if DJI adds it to the Mini 2.

So far, DJI added RID functionality to the Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro. You can follow future updates to that list here.

As of right now there is only one (1), FAA approved module - Made by DroneTag. There is almost certainly going to be more modules on the market before the Final Rule is implemented and; it is very likely price and perhaps size and weight of newer modules will decrease going forward

If you want a module, best bet is to wait and watch.

Reactions: Oman and Ted B
As of right now there is only one (1), FAA approved module - Made by DroneTag. There is almost certainly going to be more modules on the market before the Final Rule is implemented and; it is very likely price and perhaps size and weight of newer modules will decrease going forward

If you want a module, best bet is to wait and watch.
I saw one more RID module that is FAA-approved from uAvionix called pingRID: https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs/RID000000132

I placed an order for one, and should get it mid-April.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Just wait, more will come out. I say a prototype last week. Wish I could share more.

The problem with these modules is, we attach them to the Mini and suddenly they are overweight. The whole idea of having them below 250 grams is gone. I certainly hope that DJI offers RID on the Mini 2 like they have on the Mini 3.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
The problem with these modules is, we attach them to the Mini and suddenly they are overweight. The whole idea of having them below 250 grams is gone. I certainly hope that DJI offers RID on the Mini 2 like they have on the Mini 3.
That is one of the issues with this.

Reactions: mobilehomer
As I stated...I am not looking for discussion on the matter....I just wanted to know where to acquire one......now holding out hope that DJI will make it compatible, since it has been pointed out that it is a possibility👍

Am I missing something? The only advantage of sub 250 drones in the US; is the ability to not register so long as you are flying solely for recreational purposes.

RID only applies to drones that by law must be registered. Therefore if you are flying a sub 250 gram drone recreationally, why would you put a module on it in the first place? - it is not required correct?

On the other hand if you are flying a sub 250 gram drone under 107; you must register anyway, so the "whole idea of having them below 250 grams" will have been negated by being 107 not RID. In that instance what does it matter?

Am I missing something? The only advantage of sub 250 drones in the US; is the ability to not register so long as you are flying solely for recreational purposes.

RID only applies to drones that by law must be registered. Therefore if you are flying a sub 250 gram drone recreationally, why would you put a module on it in the first place? - it is not required correct?

On the other hand if you are flying a sub 250 gram drone under 107; you must register anyway, so the "whole idea of having them below 250 grams" will have been negated by being 107 not RID. In that instance what does it matter?
The Mini 3 and mini 3 pro are broadcasting RID currently,registering or not,and weight does not matter
as RID was implemented with the latest firmware up date.Recreation or commercial use does not matter,
as the difference between the two can't be detected by DJI.So they implemented RID across the board.

I saw one more RID module that is FAA-approved from uAvionix called pingRID: UAS Declaration of Compliance

I placed an order for one, and should get it mid-April.
21 grams in weight and $299 (USD). It would be an option for the older drones that don't fall in the 250g segment. pingRID - uAvionix

If you do have an older drone, then you have to weigh the value of spending that much money to your drone current. If DJI doesn't do a firmware update to the Mavic 2, I would consider something like this to extend the life of the drone. I wouldn't be happy having to pay that much, but my M2 is not yet obsolete for my needs.

The Mini 3 and mini 3 pro are broadcasting RID currently,registering or not,and weight does not matter
as RID was implemented with the latest firmware up date.Recreation or commercial use does not matter,
as the difference between the two can't be detected by DJI.So they implemented RID across the board.
Yes, I understand that DJI has thrown it's own curveball into the mix, but I was addressing a sub 250 gram drone that does NOT have built in RID and the associated questions as I quoted.

Unless the rules have been changed, RID is required for sub 250g drones only when the usage of the drone would require registration. Hobbyist operation of a sub-250g drone shouldn't require RID.

Source: Executive Summary Final Rule on Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft (Part 89)

Unless the rules have been changed, RID is required for sub 250g drones only when the usage of the drone would require registration. Hobbyist operation of a sub-250g drone shouldn't require RID.

Source: Executive Summary Final Rule on Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft (Part 89)

Yes, I stated that in my post that you quoted:
RID only applies to drones that by law must be registered. Therefore if you are flying a sub 250 gram drone recreationally, why would you put a module on it in the first place?

It’s possible that the FAA could slip the date for compliance, as they did for manufacturers. Or, they could keep the date and postpone enforcement for awhile. There’s a few options. I don’t think RID is going to settle in right away. Maybe a year or two. Whatever the case, I’ll wait for a small RID transmitter with proven function.

I only have a Mini 2 ...but sometimes post on Youtube...technically that is other than recreational,
but the mini 3 pro has it anyway weather you need or like it. there should be a way to turn it off

.....From a video I saw, you can go to pre flight check and see if your RID is broadcasting...has any one looked at it to see if there is an on off switch for it?...That was not explained in the video I mentioned

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54