DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID FIRMWARE UPGRADE/UPDATE IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS..

Not so sure about that. The Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro both have active RID.
I think I remember the FAA rule for manufacturers saying if you're going to keep producing or making a drone, you have to include RID. At the time, the Mini 3 was being made and needed to continue to be made and Mini 3 was coming. However, what I don't remember is whether these orders were given to manufacturers for all of their drones or just the drones over 250g. We all know that in order to "operate" a drone, under 250g is not RID required.

Still, the Mini 3 has a heavy battery and in some instances, it seems like DJI does not consider the Mini 3 to be a sub-250g drone in every case so they do things to point this out (like, label the battery instead of the drone or not selling the heavy battery in the EU). Could it be the same for Mini 3 because of that battery, they take no chances? I don't recall the Mini 2 having such a battery.

Either way, one last sw update for the Mini 2 should be made available making RID optional. :)

I think I remember the FAA rule for manufacturers saying if you're going to keep producing or making a drone, you have to include RID. At the time, the Mini 3 was being made and needed to continue to be made and Mini 3 was coming. However, what I don't remember is whether these orders were given to manufacturers for all of their drones or just the drones over 250g. We all know that in order to "operate" a drone, under 250g is not RID required.

Still, the Mini 3 has a heavy battery and in some instances, it seems like DJI does not consider the Mini 3 to be a sub-250g drone in every case so they do things to point this out (like, label the battery instead of the drone or not selling the heavy battery in the EU). Could it be the same for Mini 3 because of that battery, they take no chances? I don't recall the Mini 2 having such a battery.

Either way, one last sw update for the Mini 2 should be made available making RID optional. :)
Any drone used for Part 107 use must have RID, regardless of weight.

Reactions: Torque
Any drone used for Part 107 use must have RID, regardless of weight.
I am aware which is exactly why DJI probably doesn't mind Mini 2 taking a module which will likely put it over 250g but you would need to register anyway if you are commercial. I guess my question was about "making" drones vs. "operating" drones. If you make a drone, as a drone manufacturer or a DIY drone builder at home, are you required to make that drone with RID after Sep last year even if the drone is under 250g? If the answer is no then it seems like DJI believe the Mini 3 Pro doesn't meet that requirement so the built-in RID so they could keep making them....that's my guess.

Some people say that only LEOs and not the general public having access to remote ID broadcast information especially not with controller location. What's the point of registering if they can just look you up?

However, since this was the LEOs and security agencies idea, does that change how you feel about even the LEOs having access to any of the remote ID broadcast?

I might put the LEOs and the Karens in the same category of being equally belligerent.

I bought my Mavic Air 2 from my neighbor while he was down here from Canada.

To *legally* fly the Mavic Air 2 in Canada, he needs to complete Part 107 of the Aviation Rules and Regulations!

While I *have* done this back in 1992, I do *not* need this to fly here in the USA.

As a holder of an Airmans Certificate, no longer eligible to fly due to not being able to pass a Class III Medical, I simply registered with the FAA and received my UAS Certificate. I also have flown R/C aircraft since 1989, and currently have two electric powered aircraft to go fly with.
@BigBsquared , exactly which UAS Certificate are you referring to? In order to legally fly under Part 107 you also have to take( and pass) the Online (FREE) Part 107 Modules etc. If you're not current with your BFR you take the one for non-Part 61 Pilots but if you're current with BFR you take that one for Part 61 Pilots.

If you need specific links just let me know and I'll be happy to provide them for you.

Part 107 and. just like the optional Plus battery, DJI sells prop guards for the Mini 2.
I addressed p107 – too small a customer base to make the investment. In the cost/benefit tradeoff, dealing with vanishingly small portion of the Mini 2 customer base using Mini 2's for commercial operations is tolerable.

Same argument for prop guards. The percentage of Mini 2 owners that have bought DJI prop guards is miniscule. Of that subset, the portion that fly with them outdoors is even smaller.

Not worth the investment. More than tolerable to deal with a few complaints.

BTW, don't take any of this as endorsement or approval of DJI's decisions. I just have some familiarity with these situations, and this is almost always the business decision made.

@BigBsquared , exactly which UAS Certificate are you referring to? In order to legally fly under Part 107 you also have to take( and pass) the Online (FREE) Part 107 Modules etc. If you're not current with your BFR you take the one for non-Part 61 Pilots but if you're current with BFR you take that one for Part 61 Pilots.

If you need specific links just let me know and I'll be happy to provide them for you.
I have the FAA DRONE ZONE Recreational Flyer Registration.

This Registration is to be placed on ALL remote control flying devices.

It also includes R/C Aircraft, NOT just Drones!

I requested this in 2019. It is good until November of 2023. Whereupon I *will* renew this!

This registration does NOT require *ANY* Part 106 *nor* Part 106!

Please log into the FAA Drone Zone and *see* for yourself!

I will also point to MY requirements, <Drone Laws in Florida (2023) - UAV Coach>

All of the UAS Registrations from the FAA Begin with "FA". This is followed by a mix of letters and numbers that are 8 characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my Mavic Air 2 from my neighbor while he was down here from Canada.

To *legally* fly the Mavic Air 2 in Canada, he needs to complete Part 107 of the Aviation Rules and Regulations!

While I *have* done this back in 1992, I do *not* need this to fly here in the USA.

As a holder of an Airmans Certificate, no longer eligible to fly due to not being able to pass a Class III Medical, I simply registered with the FAA and received my UAS Certificate. I also have flown R/C aircraft since 1989, and currently have two electric powered aircraft to go fly with.

If you have a drivers license, your part 61 should allow you to fly sport aircraft, as a driver’s license suffices for the medical for operating sport light aircraft (VFR day only)

If you have a drivers license, your part 61 should allow you to fly sport aircraft, as a driver’s license suffices for the medical for operating sport light aircraft (VFR day only)
Now at my age of 73, I no longer have intention of returning to flying. Too old, and on a fixed income.

Retired SFC, Sergeant First Class, 1988, and Social Security.

I was only originally certified for VFR, never upgraded to IFR.

I was mostly interested in flying Aerobatic Aircraft. Have also flown the Sukhoi SU-29.

Renting such aircraft just doesn't fit budgetary constraints.

Have enjoyed the hours under my belt, but would *have* to go through a good deal of refresher training, regardless of the type of Aircraft to be flown. One MUST establish CURRENCY!

Reactions: NightFlightAlright
Medical Certificates are a very mixed bag! Having taken the physicals for Class III Certificate several times, It was always chasing a bouncing ball!

It became much worse after being diagnosed with Type II Diabetes!

In 1997 I began taking Serotonin uptake inhibitors to assist with *verbal* anger issues.

The series of these is a big NO by the FAA.

Reactions: NightFlightAlright
@BigBsquared you are a good candidate for an Avata 👍
Why in the world would I go for an AVATA when I already own the Mavic Air 2 with the complete upgrade package?

Definitely do not need a second drone!

The budget at 73 with fixed income gets stretched enough as it is. I have already invested in the Mavic Air 2 package, two R/C Electric powered Aircraft along with all the requisite LiPo battery packs, a 6 CH R/C system, chargers, ability to cycle the Lipo packages to prevent flying with a suspect flight pack.

@BigBsquared, My statement was based on your background as a private pilot, and the flying you've done.

Maybe someone on the forum near you in Ft Meyers could meet up and let you try the Avata with the MC(2). Then you'd understand, and might very well sell your carefully procured Air 2 to fund an Avata replacement.

If your purpose is taking cinematic video and/or aerial photos, then the Air 2 will serve you well.

If your looking for the thrill of flying, mostvof us with both types of drones would steer you to the Avata, especially those with lots of stick/yoke time in a manned plane.

The Avata camera certainly isn't sufficient for most professional still-photo uses, but it's no slouch either. Plenty good for outdoor, personal imagery, especially video.

You should at least try it out if you can.

@BigBsquared, My statement was based on your background as a private pilot, and the flying you've done.

Maybe someone on the forum near you in Ft Meyers could meet up and let you try the Avata with the MC(2). Then you'd understand, and might very well sell your carefully procured Air 2 to fund an Avata replacement.

If your purpose is taking cinematic video and/or aerial photos, then the Air 2 will serve you well.

If your looking for the thrill of flying, mostvof us with both types of drones would steer you to the Avata, especially those with lots of stick/yoke time in a manned plane.

The Avata camera certainly isn't sufficient for most professional still-photo uses, but it's no slouch either. Plenty good for outdoor, personal imagery, especially video.

You should at least try it out if you can.
My biggest desire IS the Aerial Photo ability! Have been taking detailed photos of roofs.

I do it just because I can. I don't do this for *any* commercial purpose.

The Air 2 Camera capabilities ARE why I went for it!

RID FIRMWARE UPGRADE/UPDATE - IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T YET SEEN THIS..
Dronedj has some conflicting information on this. On one hand they say, 'According to the latest timeline shared by the tech giant, a Remote ID firmware upgrade for the Mavic Air 2 might not drop until September 30, 2023.' But if you follow the links to RID capable aircraft, the Air2 is not listed. Several other model in what might be called the "Air2 Family" are included but not the straight up original. So delayed or not, will a DJI software upgrade make the Mavic Air2 remote id compatible?

I hate to say this but you can't make a blanket statement like that because you will be wrong.
I have been flying my mini 2 as a part 107 since May of 2021 and every single flight (over a hundred) was as part 107. In this case, I would need to have a RID module on there once Sept rolls around. This was the big factor in my decision to sell it to a newbie who can earn his training wheels. I upgraded to the Mavic 3 Pro and not looking back. There may not be a big reason for them to recode the mini2 for RID but I would have had to buy a $300 RID module for it. because I never "just" take off and "drone" around...

I hate to say this but you can't make a blanket statement like that because you will be wrong.
I have been flying my mini 2 as a part 107 since May of 2021 and every single flight (over a hundred) was as part 107. In this case, I would need to have a RID module on there once Sept rolls around. This was the big factor in my decision to sell it to a newbie who can earn his training wheels. I upgraded to the Mavic 3 Pro and not looking back. There may not be a big reason for them to recode the mini2 for RID but I would have had to buy a $300 RID module for it. because I never "just" take off and "drone" around...
It's just how messed up the whole she bang is.

Secret meetings to determine how to do this remote ID thing. Law enforcement wants the FAAs jurisdiction just to give people a hard time. Allow just anybody access to your RID broadcast. We really wanted network remote ID instead of broadcast because that shows how invasive the government was. But you have to have part 107 for anything except a little sliver we call recreational. Even then, we'd use RID to decide whether your flight was politically correct or not.

You don't need an observer to help watch the drone, you need an observer to help watch for LEOs, and Karens. And although you are limited to VLOS, why do you need remote ID? Why do I need permission to take pictures of my roof?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart