DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID Placement on the Mavic Pro v1

GregS

Reactions
Did a search and found nothing. Where do I attach the RID on my Mavic Pro v1 so I don't block GPS?

It's located here in the top half of the drone (right behind the battery compartment):

1699238730123.png

1699238744737.png

1699238753586.png

1699238967205.png

Reactions: Starz and BigAl07
Isn’t there two gps’s on the pro one in front one in the rear

I'm glad somebody knows about these things!
Thought maybe that is where it is, but wasn't sure.
Of course it's right where I have a decal. Gone now!

Of course it's right where I have a decal. Gone now!
A vinyl/paper decal? That won't negatively affect the GPS signal.

I wasn't clear about the decal placement. The decal is where I need to place the RID.

The most balanced location and likely to interfere the least with onboard equipment and receivers would be on top of the battery. Unfortunately that means losing your visual indicator and swapping it along with every battery.

When my Dronetag Beacon arrives (if it ever does) I’m going to try it on the top just forward of the battery and see how it performs.

In reality, the module should be mounted on the bottom since it’s broadcasting to the ground, not the sky.

The most balanced location and likely to interfere the least with onboard equipment and receivers would be on top of the battery. Unfortunately that means losing your visual indicator and swapping it along with every battery.

When my Dronetag Beacon arrives (if it ever does) I’m going to try it on the top just forward of the battery and see how it performs.

In reality, the module should be mounted on the bottom since it’s broadcasting to the ground, not the sky.
The purpose of the RID is to let aircraft know your position, altitude, and speed. Not to broadcast to the ground. Wi-Fi or cell service will be able to pick that up.

The purpose of the RID is to let aircraft know your position, altitude, and speed
In the case of drones, it's mainly being used to detect drones flying in locations where they shouldn't be flying.

Here's why the FAA says we need RID (source):

"Remote ID lays the foundation of the safety and security groundwork needed for more complex drone operations. Remote ID also helps the FAA, law enforcement, and other federal agencies locate the control station when a drone appears to be flying in an unsafe manner or where it is not allowed to fly."

Last edited:
Reactions: jrseramur
The purpose of the RID is to let aircraft know your position, altitude, and speed. Not to broadcast to the ground. Wi-Fi or cell service will be able to pick that up.
On what equipment in manned aircraft are pilots receiving remote ID data from drones?

All aircraft are supposed to have that equipment. I was flying a Piper 140 yesterday and it has the equipment to receive that info the RID transmits.

That doesn’t answer my question. I want to know on what equipment do manned aircraft receive drone remote ID data? I’m asking because I know remote ID modules aren’t ADS-B transmitters, and are also broadcasting relatively short distances. I would be surprised if manned aircraft were receiving signals from RID modules, but if they are on what equipment are they receiving them?

That doesn’t answer my question. I want to know on what equipment do manned aircraft receive drone remote ID data? I’m asking because I know remote ID modules aren’t ADS-B transmitters, and are also broadcasting relatively short distances. I would be surprised if manned aircraft were receiving signals from RID modules, but if they are on what equipment are they receiving them?
Also, I’m not looking for an argument, I’m just trying to fully understand Remote ID because my understanding is that it’s designed to broadcast so that people on the ground can identify the drone, understand why it’s there, and have enough information to report it if it’s being operated unsafely. This is honestly the first I’ve heard that manned aircraft are also receiving those signals.

The battery is ideal for my RID placement. All lights show. I have the Holy Stone RID which is very small and 90 USD. Got mine in 2 days. Works great.

Attachments

• 20231112_115626.jpg
    20231112_115626.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: jrseramur
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member