DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID

Tonyzak

Reactions
I havent. flown my Mavic zoom for awhile and Im tying to get up to date on the new regs regarding Tracking drones. Im sure the subject is covered on a forum somewhere but i cannot find any posts. I don't even know what to search for. What app do i need to Track a drone ? Does a Mavic 2 Zoom have the ability to transmit my location ? And any other thing I need to know.

Thank you

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom as well and currently it does not transmit RID. In order to be complaint with the upcoming March deadline, I am hoping DJI will deliver a software update to M2Z by end of December and all is good. In the meantime, feel free to purchase your own external broadcast RID module like the approved HolyStone RID device which you can attach to any drone to make it RID compliant.

Does a Mavic 2 Zoom have the ability to transmit my location ?
Not yet, but DJI is planning on releasing a firmware update by December 31, 2023 to allow the Mavic 2 Zoom to broadcast RID data without the need for an external module (more details here). Once that firmware has been released, install it and you'll be good to go.

The FAA keeps a list of DJI drones that are currently compliant here. Once the new firmware has been released for the Mavic 2 Zoom, you should see that drone on their list.

In the meantime, you don't have to do anything. There's no need to purchase an external module as the FAA has extended the start of the enforcement period for cases like this (more details here).

If you prefer, you can reach out to the FAA directly for additional guidance on this matter. The FAA does not participate in this forum, so any advice you see here should not be considered the official opinion of the FAA.

Last edited:
I'm believe you mean a Mavic 2 Zoom. DJI claims they will release an update to make it compliant before the end of December. Wait and see I guess, if not you (and I) will need to purchase an external RID module.

Not yet, but DJI is planning on releasing a firmware update by December 31, 2023 to allow the Mavic 2 Zoom to broadcast RID data without the need for an external module (more details here). Once that firmware has been released, install it and you'll be good to go.

The FAA keeps a list of DJI drones that are currently compliant here. Once the new firmware has been released for the Mavic 2 Zoom, you should see that drone on their list.

In the meantime, you don't have to do anything. There's no need to purchase an external module as the FAA has extended the start of the enforcement period for cases like this (more details here).

If you prefer, you can reach out to the FAA directly for additional guidance on this matter. The FAA does not participate in this forum, so any advice you see here should not be considered the official opinion of the FAA.
When I spoke with DJI a while back, they told me that the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom will be compliant with the update if you are using a Smart Controller. Do you know if that's true or will they be compliant without the Smart Controller? I have both drones and a Smart Controller. Thx

When I spoke with DJI a while back, they told me that the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom will be compliant with the update if you are using a Smart Controller. Do you know if that's true or will they be compliant without the Smart Controller? I have both drones and a Smart Controller. Thx
So I've heard this before from DJI as well (don't remember where and when) and I'm not sure why they keep saying their RID solution for the Mavic 2 is only compatible when you use the smart controller and will not work properly if you switch to the standard remote controller. Is it possible the control station coordinates cannot be properly transmitted using the standard controller plus mobile phone solution?

So I've heard this before from DJI as well (don't remember where and when) and I'm not sure why they keep saying their RID solution for the Mavic 2 is only compatible when you use the smart controller and will not work properly if you switch to the standard remote controller
I haven't heard that one yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if a DJI employee shared that incorrect information. It's probably best to rely on written documentation provided by DJI (like here in there forum). As you can see there, they clearly state the drone firmware must be updated.

Is it possible the control station coordinates cannot be properly transmitted using the standard controller plus mobile phone solution?
That's not possible since the drone itself transmits the RID data. And that also explains why the drone firmware needs to be updated instead of the remote controller firmware.

As long as the drone firmware is updated, you can use a compatible remote controller of your choice.

The needed firmware can only be installed on the aircraft. It doesn't matter which remote controller you're using.

As with other DJI drones using a smartphone, operator location is determined by the phone GPS, and thr DJI Fly app communicates that to the drone. Whether the remote is the RC-N1 shipped with newer drones, or the most awesome, one of the best remotes ever designed and delivered standard with any DJI drone Mavic 2 remote make no difference.

Utterly unbiased statement there, BTW 😁

As with other DJI drones using a smartphone, operator location is determined by the phone GPS, and thr DJI Fly app communicates that to the drone.
Indeed. But, the lack of a remote controller (or smartphone) doesn't disable the RID broadcast on the drone.

Indeed. But, the lack of a remote controller (or smartphone) doesn't disable the RID broadcast on the drone.

Maybe.

You can not launch an RID integrated drone without a valid Control Station location... it will refuse to start the motors.

An integrated drone doesn't fall back to the requirements for a legacy aircraft with an attached module. Takeoff location is not allowed as a substitute.

So while a loss of real-time Control Station location while in-flight will not compromise control in any way, it will indicate the error in the RID broadcast, and will not allow takeoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
You can not launch an RID integrated drone without a valid Control Station location... it will refuse to start the motors.

An integrated drone doesn't fall back to the requirements for a legacy aircraft with an attached module. Takeoff location is not allowed as a substitute.
Interesting stuff, but it's not related to my reply above that you quoted. There are other scenarios that will prevent an RID integrated (or non RID integrated) DJI drone from taking off too. But, we'll have to save that for a different thread since it's off topic.

I guess we'll all have to wait for DJI to get the update out to see what we need
It'll be the same as all other DJI drones that are currently RID compliant today. Just update the drone firmware and continue to fly your drone like normal. Easy-peasy.

....and a reminder to all that applies....

Update your inventory of aircraft with the FAA and enter the RID compliant drone, which is the same as the current one, before you delete the "old" aircraft which wasn't compliant before the update when it arrives from DJI.

Should be able to use the same numbers if flying recreational. Not sure about Part 107 certificate holders.

Reactions: SethB
Any idea how long it takes FCC to add a drone to the accepted list, the Air2 has the update but it’s not on the compliance list

There are several DJI drones with standard RID software but missing from the list including Air 3 and Mini 4 Pro and not, the Mavic 2. Something tells me it isn't an FAA issue.
Not sure I understand what your saying, if it’s that the air2 doesn’t have the software update it does, if it’s that it’s on the list then I have overlooked it, if it’s that it’s probably DJI that’s dropping the ball, then I have (prior to this question) sent them an email and they replied they are working with FAA to get it on the list

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas