DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH didn't worked and Mavic is lost

Actually, I really should clarify what I said... The Mavic won't set itself a new Home Point while in flight, but if you land and stop the props then take off again, it does set a new Home Point.

Beg to differ. That's exactly what happened with the OP's flight. See G.E. image above.

Yes, you are right. Just had a look at the raw data.
I wondered myself already why the program displays the coordinates as pure integers.
This is due to a bug in CsvView which will be fixed in the next release. The bug presents itself when the value is constant, as it was in this case.

Reactions: JLane and Keule
A quick google - turns out it was an Eastwood quote in "Magnum Force". I suppose I was trying to make the point that, even with the sheer engineering brilliance of the MP, it's important to concede what it can do and what it can't (or shouldn't) do .

Reactions: Gary cato
Is it me, or are the incessant "you were irresponsible" drone police posts just adding NOTHING to the conversation? PM the guy. Start your own thread. But for Crissakes, why do you feel you have to publicly shame and lecture the guy?

To any lurkers who may be reading this and need some help:

1) Post your txt/DAT/video
2) Pray that @BudWalker, @msinger, @Cyberpower678, or @AlanTheBeast get to your info first
3) Put on your flame suit
4) Hunker down and accept the fact that there are a ton of drone police who relish the opportunity to rub your nose in any errors you may have made (legitimate or not).

These needless chest-thumping, I-know-better-than-you posts have a chilling effect on the forums. We all benefit from the misfortune of others - but only when they're brave enough to post what happened. That is much less likely to occur if they fear immediate condescension.
Well said

Beg to differ. That's exactly what happened with the OP's flight. See G.E. image above.
Sorry for the confusion. This post was like a 2nd part to my previous post, where I said that the Mavic would never set a NEW Home Point on its own. ie. Once it has set one, it won't do it again unless you tell it to, or unless you take off again.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
One thing that didn't occur to me until just now is that, assuming the Mavic did initiate an RTH and landing, it's quite possible that with all the buildings around it could have lost the GPS lock again and entered ATTI mode on its way down. I believe that the RTH behavior in ATTI mode is simply to hover, since it doesn't have the ability to navigate. So if it went into ATTI mode on the way down in an RTH landing, it may have aborted the landing and tried to hover. (Can anybody confirm if that's what would happen?) Then, if it tried to hover while in ATTI mode, it would have had no way to compensate for the wind, and could have been blown who-knows-where while hovering in ATTI mode.

Reactions: Rbruz
One thing that didn't occur to me until just now is that, assuming the Mavic did initiate an RTH and landing, it's quite possible that with all the buildings around it could have lost the GPS lock again and entered ATTI mode on its way down. I believe that the RTH behavior in ATTI mode is simply to hover, since it doesn't have the ability to navigate. So if it went into ATTI mode on the way down in an RTH landing, it may have aborted the landing and tried to hover. (Can anybody confirm if that's what would happen?) Then, if it tried to hover while in ATTI mode, it would have had no way to compensate for the wind, and could have been blown who-knows-where while hovering in ATTI mode.

Very possible.

Is it me, or are the incessant "you were irresponsible" drone police posts just adding NOTHING to the conversation? PM the guy. Start your own thread. But for Crissakes, why do you feel you have to publicly shame and lecture the guy?

2) Pray that @BudWalker, @msinger, @Cyberpower678, or @AlanTheBeast get to your info first
4) Hunker down and accept the fact that there are a ton of drone police who relish the opportunity to rub your nose in any errors you may have made (legitimate or not).

These needless chest-thumping, I-know-better-than-you posts have a chilling effect on the forums. We all benefit from the misfortune of others - but only when they're brave enough to post what happened. That is much less likely to occur if they fear immediate condescension.

Thank you!

Reactions: erkme73
I'm not saying that the mistakes that are made aren't deserving of criticism. My point is by calling them out publicly (vs. a private message), you're not only shaming them, but you're directly intimidating others who may have valuable experiences that they'll choose not to share for fear of public rebuke.

I think that everyone has clear that most of the times the issues related to a loss or a crash relies on the human error (overconfidence, eager to flight your new drone, taking risk to get "the" photo, poor training, etc.). I have it clear since it happened it was my fault, my only question is on what happened with the RTH function.

I though more than twice to post my story, I'm still very angry with me and I know someone will point a finger on my errors (it is natural), no one wants to hear or read that even when it is a true and a valid statement.

The reason of why I decided to post my experience was to my interest to know what happened technically speaking, and to share my mistakes in order to help to prevent someone else to do the same as I did. I think everyone comes to this forums share experiences some times good ones (tips, hints, etc.) and the bad ones as the one I related on my thread.

I cannot agree more with that statement, it was an irresponsible decision to start the flight under such poor conditions, I'm the only one to be blamed for the loss. I started to flight based on my previous flights on that zone with a P3P (no major issues, just a loss in flight that lasted 30 seconds), I think it was an overconfidence and bad judgment which resulted in this catastrophe.

However, I still not sure why the drone never came back to the home point? even when it was at 30M above me...

Thank you to all of you who have spent time checking my logs. I hope that these stories (mine and from others) would be helpful to everyone in order to avoid our mistakes and an expensive lesson.
Thanks for sharing our experience and I still hope that you may yet find it. Disregard all the drone police and "holier than thou" posts. Karma always comes back around.

Hi guys

Sadly yesterday I lost my Mavic, it was hoovering over me at 380m (1246 ft aprox) in a large space between three skyscrapers (all of them bellow 250m tall or 820ft) when I lost the connection. Before loosing the connection I pressed the RTH button (set at 300m) however, despite the home point was set and all the sensors were enabled the drone never returned back, I moved from my position in order to re gain control of the drone, but I never got contact with the drone again. Arter 40 min of despair and anguish I never saw again the drone.

I've checked the logs of the drone, it said there was strong interference seconds before the lost. The sequence of the connection was the following: GPS-P, Wifi, lost connection (one second), GPS-P, Wifi. After this nothing but the lost of the drone. Having set the home point and the sensors were enabled, what could possibly be the reason of why the drone never came back? Could this be attributed to a system malfunction? I'm aware that it was too high and I were in the centre of the city where the interference is higher, but I still don't know why it never came back.

Regards.
Hello Cesar,
I too live in Mexico City and flew around that area one week before your flight.
vlcsnap-2017-04-25-20h17m38s077.png
My flight path and my take of point were a bit different. I was standing on Reforma but I will say a 150m-200m west of your location. That day the Mavic lost GPS lock and the app asked me to turn on location on the phone. That never occurred to me in my two years flying. Fortunately the bird was on sight and under control, so I could fly it home safely. When that happened though, I wasn't flying near the towers, I was more west bound, returning from El Castillo. I reviewed yesterday my flight logs and the GPS was solid when I flew near the towers.
Sorry for your loss.

"A man has got know his limitations" - Cool Hand Luke.
1. GPS Health - pause (don't rush) and be sure prior to take off with 10+ GPS, ascend to 30' and confirm RTH - check map.
2. Starts and ends with #1 (coupled with pre-flight checklist).
Get a little 'overconfident' and you'll overlook the small details...
No, that was Dirty Harry, loved those Dirty Harry movies growing up, and that Smith & Wesson Model 29, Do ya feel lucky punk

Last edited:

You are not wrong, my friend. These "police" are just taking up space here and make it difficult to keep on track with the subject. I am grateful for people who share their experiences here for all of us to learn more about the do's and don'ts. And here I am taking up space on an off-topic just couldn't resist giving you an Atta boy.

I think that everyone has clear that most of the times the issues related to a loss or a crash relies on the human error (overconfidence, eager to flight your new drone, taking risk to get "the" photo, poor training, etc.). I have it clear since it happened it was my fault, my only question is on what happened with the RTH function.

I though more than twice to post my story, I'm still very angry with me and I know someone will point a finger on my errors (it is natural), no one wants to hear or read that even when it is a true and a valid statement.

The reason of why I decided to post my experience was to my interest to know what happened technically speaking, and to share my mistakes in order to help to prevent someone else to do the same as I did. I think everyone comes to this forums share experiences some times good ones (tips, hints, etc.) and the bad ones as the one I related on my thread.

I for one thank you for sharing your bad experience. I certainly have benefited from your information and those who replied with HELPFUL comments.
Don't pay attention to those who are so insecure that they must ridicule others in order to prop up their own inadequacies.

Yes, RC displayed the "connecting" message as well as the telemetry, but it only showed the same data before the loss (the battery had about 86% or 20 min left). To be honest I do not remember if I heard the beeping sound at the same moment when I activated the RTH, I was really scared at that moment I only remember trying to find a better spot to made contact with it, but I do remember to heard it two or three minutes after. The phone had a red disconnected bar.

I know that it was not wise to fly near skyscrapers with helipads, that was totally my fault, but my point is why the drone didn't came back after it loss the signal from the RC.

Thanks!
Were you flying with your phone alone?

Hi guys

Sadly yesterday I lost my Mavic, it was hoovering over me at 380m (1246 ft aprox) in a large space between three skyscrapers (all of them bellow 250m tall or 820ft) when I lost the connection. Before loosing the connection I pressed the RTH button (set at 300m) however, despite the home point was set and all the sensors were enabled the drone never returned back, I moved from my position in order to re gain control of the drone, but I never got contact with the drone again. Arter 40 min of despair and anguish I never saw again the drone.

I've checked the logs of the drone, it said there was strong interference seconds before the lost. The sequence of the connection was the following: GPS-P, Wifi, lost connection (one second), GPS-P, Wifi. After this nothing but the lost of the drone. Having set the home point and the sensors were enabled, what could possibly be the reason of why the drone never came back? Could this be attributed to a system malfunction? I'm aware that it was too high and I were in the centre of the city where the interference is higher, but I still don't know why it never came back.

Regards.

Every one needs to remember that these are radio freq. Big RF like from Radio, Tv, Police, Military, Airports Ect. or even Ham operators all can have high RF power which can inter fear with any transmissions if there close.. There not always transmitting 24/7. Ham radio for instance can put out 2k watts---which is many times more power than Mavic's transmitter. We have the FCC laws for this on all our devises bought in the USA.. Don't know about other countries,, It could be what is called BLEED OVER.

Reactions: Rbruz
@wr0j

Zero to do with being insecure!

Many of us have been flying RC well over 20yrs and being a kook is no excuse, the reason the manual covers how and where to fly, is safety, promoting what this guy did is horrid. If this bird came down on a kid and blinded them, you would sing another tune!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flymehome