DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH malfunction?

Some people struggle with planning a simple flight.
Line of sight is somewhat important with these toys.
All I see here is a lack of gray matter.

Maybe he had the remote controller signal lost setting set to hover. The flight log would likely reveal what happened. I guess it's more fun to make a 16+ minute video than review the flight log and figure out what really happened.

Maybe he had the remote controller signal lost setting set to hover.

Yes, this is the only explanation that makes sense to me.

edit: On second thoughts that's not right, the "hover" setting still brings the drone back to it's home position, it just doesn't land it. My best guess now is that he panicked when he lost signal and did something that aborted or cancelled the RTH.

Last edited:
On second thoughts that's not right, the "hover" setting still brings the drone back to it's home position, it just doesn't land it
The hover setting makes the drone hover in place at the point where the signal is lost. It will not attempt to fly home.

A good one for beginner training videos - file it under either “VLOS, importance of maintaining” or “narratives, escaping from obnoxiously dumb”. Filed either way, they would help teach a good lesson!

Is it entirely possible the owner hit the Pause button instead of initiating RTH?

While some details are not mention, I don't see that anything went wrong. He lost the signal when the drone was at 60'. Smart RTH kicked in and the drone was set to 300' or so. It started to fly up from 75 to 300'. As it started to fly above that tall building it reconnected. The video is cut but when it returns, the drove is flying back to the home point. What we don't know is if it started to do this as part of RTH or if it rose above the building, the controller reconnected as the building was no longer in the way and it started to RTH on it's own.

But I don't see anything indication that RTH did not work correctly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos