DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Tragedy

I guess I'll have to fix it first, unless that doesn't involve having a moving camera. The video is fine, but the gimbal cable isn't. I'm willing to own up to my own flying errors, but with what I've been reading about the phone app I want some insurance that they'll own up to theirs.

Edit:. BTW, I just bought it Friday. I didn't learn about the frightening Go 4 problems until last night, right after my 48 hours were up.

It sounds as if the app problems are due a a faulty USB connection with your phone, based on your earlier post. I have never had any problems with the app. Are you referring to something specific?

I guess I'll have to fix it first, unless that doesn't involve having a moving camera. The video is fine, but the gimbal cable isn't. I'm willing to own up to my own flying errors, but with what I've been reading about the phone app I want some insurance that they'll own up to theirs.

Edit:. BTW, I just bought it Friday. I didn't learn about the frightening Go 4 problems until last night, right after my 48 hours were up.
Go4 app issues aren't a new thing, they're a constant. Every FW update -- monthly at least -- wrecks connectivity for a subset of users. It's a way of life around here.

It sounds as if the app problems are due a a faulty USB connection with your phone, based on your earlier post. I have never had any problems with the app. Are you referring to something specific?

That's what I thought until I read scads of reports of people experiencing the exact same thing with Go 4 4.1.18. The controller losing the connection to the aircraft shouldn't be happening regardless of any USB comm issues. I've had the app identify my device as a Spark too.

That's what I thought until I read scads of reports of people experiencing the exact same thing with Go 4 4.1.18. The controller losing the connection to the aircraft shouldn't be happening regardless of any USB comm issues. I've had the app identify my device as a Spark too.

That's true, but the controller losing connection with the aircraft should not be due to app problems either.

The best advice I’ve gotten has been via numerous online videos.... 1) RTFM ... not Ready To Fly, but “read the F’n manual,” and, 2) spend $30 on a “toy” drone and configure the flight controls like the one you’ll be using on you Pro..

I found a “refurbished” Parrot Mambo that I used to get the muscle memory working....

That's true, but the controller losing connection with the aircraft should not be due to app problems either.
All I can say about that is that it's only happened when the phone was connected and running the app. The craft was less than 50' away. When I flew it for about an hour (got the fly more version) without the phone attached, everything stayed connected fine. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the app would have the ability to force a reconnect if it wrongfully thought the link to the drone was down. I have an older Moto g2 that I will try.

I rarely use RTH, except to show people what it is. It is a good safety net, but you should not use it as a hammock. Manual approaches and landings are better 98% of the time. There are too many variables and potential issues to use it for normal operations IMO.

Yeah, I wish mavic had a selectable atti mode although even atti mode the computer is basically flying the quad,....
One of the reasons I didn't sell my P2 is that I keep it to fly in full manual. Nothing better to learn how to fly a quad! Loops, flips, and nothing assisting you.

Reactions: Callum
I've been reading the manual. I've also been reading the play store reviews. Should have done my normal research before buying. I'm not buying an iPhone just to get the Go 4 app to work. In all fairness, it could be that Android 7 deserves some of the blame here. Anyone know how I can get an older version of the app? Very disappointed that the world's best hobby drone is reliant upon the world's worst Android app.

I've been reading the manual. I've also been reading the play store reviews. Should have done my normal research before buying. I'm not buying an iPhone just to get the Go 4 app to work. In all fairness, it could be that Android 7 deserves some of the blame here. Anyone know how I can get an older version of the app? Very disappointed that the world's best hobby drone is reliant upon the world's worst Android app.

DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD APKs - APKMirror

Make sure to turn off Auto updates in your Google store.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Afremont
I definitely will be reading the documentation.
Thumbswayup

For anyone reading this thread and thinking about buying a DJI product. Read the documentation BEFORE you fly, not AFTER. Time and time again I see / hear about someone out flying who don't have a clue about their aircraft. Please read the manuals and watch the YT videos

I think it's also appropriate to commend the OP for acknowledging his own errors and being willing to take a lot of advice without being defensive about it.

Not all of the mistakes were his -- blame also lies with the DJI Marketing Department and also DJIs software engineers.

Welcome to the forum.

cars are sold ready to drive, but you need a lesson or two.

RTF means everything is in the box to enable you to fly, ie. drone, battery, remote, cables, blades ect

You need to have a license to drive a car, or to buy one from a dealer. If everyone listened to you, we would all have to be a licensed pilot to buy one. That way everyone would be given ground school, or a test on the manual. I would prefer we all work together. But, we are so stupid we can't even come out and say that RTF meaning different things to different people. We had rather, "discuss" small details to prove that each of us is right. Which could have the impact of some drone owner, wishing he had never came here for help. Which I thought this forum was for. If I used their logic(read manual, don't answer ?) , if I ask them for the time of day, they would say, "Go get a watch". Oh, the guy who is helping with my grammar, I don't mine sharing you with everyone else. I don't want you to put(I), before (E)everone. You get that?:D I'm done. No more to say. Sorry AFREMONT for the distraction.

You need to have a license to drive a car, or to buy one from a dealer. If everyone listened to you, we would all have to be a licensed pilot to buy one. That way everyone would be given ground school, or a test on the manual. I would prefer we all work together. But, we are so stupid we can't even come out and say that RTF meaning different things to different people. We had rather, "discuss" small details to prove that each of us is right. Which could have the impact of some drone owner, wishing he had never came here for help. Which I thought this forum was for. If I used their logic(read manual, don't answer ?) , if I ask them for the time of day, they would say, "Go get a watch". Oh, the guy who is helping with my grammar, I don't mine sharing you with everyone else. I don't want you to put(I), before (E)everone. You get that?:D I'm done. No more to say. Sorry AFREMONT for the distraction.
:)

Thanks for that link, I'll definitely be trying that version. I don't need the latest features, just something that works.

And, for the manual, I understand

I think I watched all their videos. I have to say it appears that they put the emphasis on extravagant features, not getting started. I also have to say that compared to learning to fly RC planes 25 years ago, this is a cakewalk. I couldn't resist getting it off the ground since "I already know how to fly". ;) Just like with RC planes, I quickly gave into the temptation of showing off for a friend (we used to fly planes upside down) without knowing how RTH really works. Hopefully I learned a valuable lesson the hard way, but that's been a lifelong trait as well. I'm here to learn, and hopefully help others in the future. Reading the manual is just a start, it's not going to tell me everything I want/need to know. That's why I'm trying to keep my questions to things that aren't in the manual.

Last night I spent a lot of time learning about draconian Texas drone law. It was very disappointing to say the least. Living in the airspace of no less than 6 agencies isn't a lot of fun either. Hopefully my little community doesn't follow the lead of some other small towns and outright ban drones in our parks.

I really appreciate the help and advice from those that have gone before me. There's a lot to learn about rules and regulations too. I will do my best to be a good drone operator and promote this hobby in a positive light. There seems to be a lot of uneducated people that have the impression that all drone operators are out to snatch their privacy away from them by peeping in their windows and taking videos of them sunning themselves.

Hello, first post and new to drones. I'm sure this is all my in doing, but I do have a question. I used to fly RC planes a lot, but it's been a while.

Yesterday, I was showing my new Mavic Pro to friend. I flew it around the front yard at less than 20' and all was fine until I was going to show him how it could fly itself back to home. I pushed the button and the drone immediately rocketed straight up into a tree canopy and then proceeded to do it a couple more times before dropping to the concrete driveway (naturally). I broke the camera gimbal mount (actually the anti-vibration plate) and ripped the flat circuit cable in half. Video still works, but of course I get motor overload messages about the gimbal. I watched a bunch of repair videos and I think I can fix this myself for about $40. At least I don't seem to need a full $300 camera setup or even the metallic thread video cable. I've worked on mechanical wristwatches before, so I think I can delicately handle this surgery.

My question is about overhead obstacle avoidance. Does it have any ability to do that?

BTW, I won't be flying in the yard anymore until I know every aspect of the software features. Before the crash, I also got messages about heavy interference and experienced blocky video to my phone even at very close range. Is that likely from the phone's WiFi being turned on during flying?

Thanks for reading.
Yup, you got affected by the Christmas Tree Syndrome. Unpacking and playing without reading...
You may have watch about 100 videos of half tutorials and half crashes before using your mavic. First week flying in newbie mode (mavic locked in 30 meters from taking off point, like linked to a rope) with no trees around and surely no friends.
Yes, you find out in the hard way that is no obstacles avoidance sensors for the overhead.. . Also is a RTH minimum altitude set to avoid to hit the top of the trees while returning to home. The mavic going to reach this minimum altitude asa you press RTH. if you under the tree he will crash into it while ascending...

Took it to a reasonably safe place today (is there really a truly safe place) and flew in beginner mode until I got a low battery warning. Took it to 90+ feet once and to bear the limits horizontally a couple of times. Most of the time it was about 20' off the ground. No phone connected, just the controller. Not one single issue.

Got home just in time to collect my repair parts from the Amazon delivery guy. Next flight will be with phone attached and an older version of Go 4 app installed. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a fully functional gimbal. I'll try to finish reading the manual tonight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest