DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rugged, waterproof case for $40!!

Do you spray plasti dip on the top or bottom?
I've done the Plasti-Dip spray a couple of times, and it really works:
  • Finalize your foam plucking; you can't easily change it after Plasti-Dip spraying
  • Set up outdoors, in the shade, on a sawhorse table or the like; the overspray is nothing you want in the garage
  • Take the foam out of the case
  • Spray from all sides, and don't miss the "caverns" created in the plucking
  • It takes 3 (or 4) coats to make the foam essentially tear-proof; one coat is barely noticeable and makes no real difference
  • Allow time between coats, but not a "full-dry"
  • IMPORTANT (I think): Give the foam a couple of days to off-gas the solvents before you put it to use; you don't want solvent gases wafting through your drone

• Finalize your foam plucking; you can't easily change it after Plasti-Dip spraying
  • Set up outdoors, in the shade, on a sawhorse table or the like; the overspray is nothing you want in the garage
  • It takes 3 (or 4) coats to make the foam essentially tear-proof; one coat is barely noticeable and makes no real difference
  • IMPORTANT (I think): Give the foam a couple of days to off-gas the solvents before you put it to use; you don't want solvent gases wafting through your drone
Appreciate the step by step instructions! ??

thanks

Good instructions. I have "sprayed" both my Pelican 1200 cases (foam) for my MM and MA and have used many times MM combustion in case.jpg MA casejpg.jpg. This treatment holds up well. My Pelican 1400 for my MA2 arrives today. Will do the same. As recommended once you complete plucking, remove foam from the case, several light coats, pause between coats to tack dry and finally, allow a good final dry.

A word of caution on the "budget waterproof cases" if you're buying them for waterproofness--look else where. The hinges are of low quality, as is the gasket/seal and lid hasps, and the lids are almost always warped--all of which lead to leaks. While I've had Pelican cases in service for 30+ years with zero issues, these budget cases are just that--budget cases. I've got friends who are whitewater rafting guides, and they REALLY wanted these to work out as they cost much less than the name brands, but even with the ones that don't leak right off the bat, these cases just can't hold up to rigorous use. If you're buying one for shock protection only, then they're a decent deal for that, but as with most thing you ultimately get what you pay for. For me personally, I'm not putting my $1k+ drone into a $20 case and expecting good things--especially if water submersion is a real possibility.

A word of caution on the "budget waterproof cases" if you're buying them for waterproofness--look else where. The hinges are of low quality, as is the gasket/seal and lid hasps, and the lids are almost always warped--all of which lead to leaks. While I've had Pelican cases in service for 30+ years with zero issues, these budget cases are just that--budget cases. I've got friends who are whitewater rafting guides, and they REALLY wanted these to work out as they cost much less than the name brands, but even with the ones that don't leak right off the bat, these cases just can't hold up to rigorous use. If you're buying one for shock protection only, then they're a decent deal for that, but as with most thing you ultimately get what you pay for. For me personally, I'm not putting my $1k+ drone into a $20 case and expecting good things--especially if water submersion is a real possibility.
Agreed. If I were lugging my equipment along for anything near water, I would consider a more trusted/reputable brand. Personally, I wanted something that would simply provide some the physical protection that the soft case couldn’t from falls or potentially being crushed by something else in my trunk, etc. I imagine most people are probably in the market for similar reasons. I don’t know that I would feel safe bringing my drone along on a whitewater rafting trip at all. In all fairness though, my definition of thrill-seeking is taking my children out to quiet restaurants. ??‍♂️?

If water protection is needed why not go with the raincoat guy + this budget case? Win win, budget case and you can fly in the rain to boot.

Received my case yesterday, and eagerly, "plucked" the foam and sprayed 4 coats of Plastic-Dip, dried over night outside to air it out and here are the results: MA2 case in sm.jpg MA2 case out sm.jpg. I deliberately disguise my cases with various stickers, so as not to resemble a weapon cases. I picked orange to match my quad. Quite happy with the results and will get some flying in today. BTW: The small case that came with the FlyMore is a capable case and (was) is easy enough to toss in my backpack. I use the hard shell for those knock about days and I like to keep my sticks on the controller. Enjoy your flying.

Received my case yesterday, and eagerly, "plucked" the foam and sprayed 4 coats of Plastic-Dip, dried over night outside to air it out and here are the results: View attachment 104817 View attachment 104818. I deliberately disguise my cases with various stickers, so as not to resemble a weapon cases. I picked orange to match my quad. Quite happy with the results and will get some flying in today. BTW: The small case that came with the FlyMore is a capable case and (was) is easy enough to toss in my backpack. I use the hard shell for those knock about days and I like to keep my sticks on the controller. Enjoy your flying.

whats your case measurements?

whats your case measurements?
This is a Pelican 1400. I use the 1200 for my MM and MA. Measurement for their entire line are found here. Pelican Cases. Hope you find your case. For comparison, this is mycase stack; 1400 (MA2) on bottom with 1200's middle (MM) and top (MA).case stack sm.jpg

Last edited:
Do you spray plasti dip on the top or bottom?
ive never done it but most ive seen was the tops. but im sure the bottom would not hurt

Never used PlastiDip but I did get the Apache case and would like to give this a shot. How’d you get yours done? Just tape off the edges and go to town over the existing foam?
i havent done it but have seen it done. i would just remove the foam and spray it on its own

ive never done it but most ive seen was the tops. but im sure the bottom would not hurt

i havent done it but have seen it done. i would just remove the foam and spray it on its own
You have the right idea. I am also sure there is a youtube video. wish you the best.

Received my case yesterday, and eagerly, "plucked" the foam and sprayed 4 coats of Plastic-Dip, dried over night outside to air it out and here are the results: View attachment 104817 View attachment 104818. I deliberately disguise my cases with various stickers, so as not to resemble a weapon cases. I picked orange to match my quad. Quite happy with the results and will get some flying in today. BTW: The small case that came with the FlyMore is a capable case and (was) is easy enough to toss in my backpack. I use the hard shell for those knock about days and I like to keep my sticks on the controller. Enjoy your flying.
ThunderBird 3....FAB

Should I spray it with plastic dip also!?
Your call. I have tried both ways w/without and favor the rigidity and it strengthens the pluck foam, especially around the top edges, where there is a lot of item removal.
Hope this helps. It has been said, pluck for your items, remove foam from box, prepare area in well ventilated space. spray 3-4 light coats, dry between coats. Air for a couple of days.
There are youtubes that can also guide you. Wish you well.

Reactions: tonydeli7
Your call. I have tried both ways w/without and favor the rigidity and it strengthens the pluck foam, especially around the top edges, where there is a lot of item removal.
Hope this helps. It has been said, pluck for your items, remove foam from box, prepare area in well ventilated space. spray 3-4 light coats, dry between coats. Air for a couple of days.
There are youtubes that can also guide you. Wish you well.

Just ordered a Plasti Dip(gunmetal) spray :)
Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: wjkrysak
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun