DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

S7 edge Nougat overheating

Genecidal

Reactions
Not sure if anyone has this issue but since the nougat update my S7 edge overheats whilst flying. To the point where the screen begins to artifact and get purple banding and then simply crashes phone. Ive run a temp monitor with go4 open and disconnected from controller and mavic with no temp increase so i think its only when flying.
Had no issue pre-update....any ideas?

Kill all other apps before starting Go4.

Hi, I have Marshmellow (6.0.1) still and no issues. Will probably upgrade soon and keep you posted if something similar happens. Although, I'm sure there are ways to restore your older version of the android OS - I have never personally done this though, but im sure it's only a few Google searches away.

Not sure if anyone has this issue but since the nougat update my S7 edge overheats whilst flying. To the point where the screen begins to artifact and get purple banding and then simply crashes phone. Ive run a temp monitor with go4 open and disconnected from controller and mavic with no temp increase so i think its only when flying.
Had no issue pre-update....any ideas?

Hi, I have problems with Nougat crashing the GO4 APP on me from time to time. But since flying with everything else shut down and in aeroplane mode it seems to be happening less frequently. Hope that helps. Here is my channel:

Never had an issue like this pre nougat. Ive also had random reboots. Not happy. Might have to look into this roll back idea.

I've flown many times with my S7 Edge and only ever had about 3 instances where the app closes and I have to reopen. Since 7.0 update I havent had any issues however I havent flown as much as on 6.0 yet. One thing to note was that when I upgraded to 7.0 the phone seemed a little sluggish so I performed a full factory reset and 7.0 performs brilliantly now.

I've flown many times with my S7 Edge and only ever had about 3 instances where the app closes and I have to reopen. Since 7.0 update I havent had any issues however I havent flown as much as on 6.0 yet. One thing to note was that when I upgraded to 7.0 the phone seemed a little sluggish so I performed a full factory reset and 7.0 performs brilliantly now.

Good to hear. Do you do anything in particular to configure your S7 Edge before flying each time. Such as:-
1) Kill all apps first Y/N
2) Switch to flight mode Y/N
3) Start DJIGo4 by tapping the DJIGo4 icon OR instead, by allowing it to auto launch when inserting USB lead?

Just trying to establish what it is that allows you to have a good experience with it, while others are having issue. If I can can see your methodology, I might feel encouraged to update myself.

Good to hear. Do you do anything in particular to configure your S7 Edge before flying each time. Such as:-
1) Kill all apps first Y/N
2) Switch to flight mode Y/N
3) Start DJIGo4 by tapping the DJIGo4 icon OR instead, by allowing it to auto launch when inserting USB lead?

Just trying to establish what it is that allows you to have a good experience with it, while others are having issue. If I can can see your methodology, I might feel encouraged to update myself.

Yes I kill all background apps. I don't switch to flight mode but I do turn off WIFI. I let the DJI GO app open itself.

Putting the device into flight mode would possibly be better but I'm fine with just turning WIFI off.

Hi all,
I'm new here, since yesterday I'm a proud owner of a Mavic drone. Today, when flying it for the first time, I had the same situacion in my S7 Edge (choppy video, slow response and hot as hell).
I'm on Nougat and my cellphone version is SM-G935FD.
Hope there is a solution soon. I'm pretty happy with my bird, and I'm pretty sure that this issue will be solved soon.
Have a nice day!
Gaston

Might want to disable video cache, even if it doesn't make much sense technically some have said it reduced the load quite a bit.

Hi Kilrah,
Thanks for your reply. I just came back from flying my bird for a moment and I had the same situation (overheating, lots of lag, and unresponsiveness from the touchscreen).
It's awkward to think that the processing power of the S7 Edge is not enough for the DJI Go app.
What I didn't is to put my phone in airplane mode, I will try that in the next flight.
Any additional hint is welcome.
Greetings,
Gaston

I would be very careful with the S7 edge. DJI software is known to have issues on the android OS.

I would be very careful with the S7 edge. DJI software is known to have issues on the android OS.
Hi AcesupZ,
Sure, I'm trying in a "controlled" environment, to test it before going a little bit further.
Today I went up for about 10 minutes, in flight mode, and disabling video caching, but again the phone started overheating and showed some artifacts on its screen, being very laggy.
After that, I checked the applications settings, and the DJI Go 4 had 809 Mb maxiumum RAM usage. I think it's too much, next time I will kill all the open apps to see what happen.
Of course, any comment will be welcome.
Thank you!
Gaston

I've been having problems with the DJI Go 4 app where it closes on its own just as others are stating. Contacted DJI about the problem. Their response is 'use an approved device'.
I'm using S7 (which is approved)
They also wanted my crash logs. Well there isn't any. The app closing itself doesn't produce a crash log.
I have been using a resource monitor the last few times and here's what I've noticed.
While flying the RAM is getting used up. Slowly but still getting used. It seems once the RAM hits 90% used is where the app closes. I'm starting to suspect the app is just gobbling the RAM and not cleaning its cache thus using the availability of RAM and Android is just choosing to close DJI.

Anyone else want to test this and let's see if it's a more probable reason for the issues we're having.

Update: the random app closes are happening even on the S8+. This must be a DJI software issue with Android nougat

G'day all! Same problem here I've seen many posts on this issue and hope they can sort it out soon. I've got a Samsung S7 and getting a Samsung S8+ next week but I hear they are going to be no better... I've turned off all apps. Aeroplane mode. WiFi off. Fast charging off. I don't think at this stage there is anything else we can do. But I've got to say, what an awesome bit of gear these Mavic's are. When the app is stable I can't fault this beautiful machine. Oh yeah and this is my 1st post/comment! Great community here I've learnt so so much just from reading the forums in the last two weeks. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun