DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

S9+ Users, frequent disconnection

wartycauldron

Reactions
I wonder if any of you guys use the S9+?
The first few flights, I've been experiencing frequent disconnection as well as frequent restart of the GO4 App midflight.

There was one time that the Mavic totally disconnected even from the RC, (have experienced this before but it was because of an interference), usually Mavic would return home and once there is no interference it would automatically reconnect with the RC.

So what happened was during two of my flights the Mavic dc-ed from the remote and went auto home and never really reconnected with the RC. And on another flight while mavic was returning home I tried disconnecting the S9 from the remote and suddenly the connection between the mavic and the rc is back.

Will be using my old phone for my mavic now, I just wanted some feedback from s9+ users if they are also experiencing this kind of situation

Reactions: Eug.lesh
I have been facing the same issue with the mobile disconnection from the RC. I've Samsung Note 8. I tried several times to reinstall the app but didn't solve completely. I read in a few forums that this might be an interference from a different app on the android that tries to use the USB port disconnecting from the DJI application. I uninstalled the smart switch from Samsung hoping that solves but so far didn't. I'm trying to find out which application is causing this issue. Please keep us posted if you found a solution and I will do the same. In this meanwhile make sure before your flight to record properly your home point so in the worst case scenario you can push RTH button on the RC.

The first few flights, I've been experiencing frequent disconnection as well as frequent restart of the GO4 App midflight.

There was one time that the Mavic totally disconnected even from the RC, (have experienced this before but it was because of an interference), usually Mavic would return home and once there is no interference it would automatically reconnect with the RC.

So what happened was during two of my flights the Mavic dc-ed from the remote and went auto home and never really reconnected with the RC. And on another flight while mavic was returning home I tried disconnecting the S9 from the remote and suddenly the connection between the mavic and the rc is back.

Will be using my old phone for my mavic now, I just wanted some feedback from s9+ users if they are also experiencing this kind of situation
I've been using the S9+ without a bit of problem with it disconnecting or the app restarting.

Bentbrent

Thanks for this. I just picked up the S9+ but I'll take baby steps next time I'm flying with it just to be safe (can you ever really be safe/sure with a drone?).

Do post an update @wartycauldron and @ThiBone if you find the "offending" app.

I also am a Galaxy S9+ user and am having the exact same issue - frequent disconnects, and not just the app disconnecting, but the RC is also disconnecting - thankfully the only thing saving my bacon is the automatic Return to Home feature. I have tried switching USB-C cables from the stock one DJI provides to a high speed cable I purchased myself, but it still disconnects. It isn't consistent to reproduce, however because the other day I flew approximately 3 miles out (with a spotter with me) clear line of sight, and several miles around me without a single issue. Then I took it out the next day and flew just literally 100 feet, and the drone totally disconnected from the app AND the RC, and fortunately it came back home using the Return to Home feature. I am so frustrated with this problem - I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and can't seem to remedy the problem. I used an old Motorola Droid Turbo phone that I have and that has not experienced any disconnect problems, so.... I'm really thinking this is a Samsung problem....

Funny, and thanks for the humor, but am seriously looking for a solution to this obvious widespread issue that tons of people are having.

I see more issues talked about with the latest version of android OS (8 I think?) what version are people running without issue?

I see more issues talked about with the latest version of android OS (8 I think?) what version are people running without issue?
I was using the previous OS version and had the issue. Updated to the new OS version and the issue kept the same. I think is more related to the firmware and/or app conflicting the USB port.

I have a S9+ and no issues disconnecting from the app during flight. I did however have a problem with the phone disconnecting from the bluetooth connection in my truck. The fix was to go into the system apps and "clear data" from the bluetooth app. Apparently it contained conflicting data causing it to drop off line, and the conflict seemed to be caused by starting my truck, while the phone BT was connected to something else. Maybe a similar problem that clearing app data might cure

There is a lot of issues related also by iPhone users. It is not the phone. Some people are suggesting to downgrade the firmware update.

That is the standard suggestion when people dont understand whats happening.

The App works. proven by the posts in this thread that report no issues with the same hardware/software combination. Apple has WAY less reported issues than Android.
the "TONS of people with the same issue" isnt really basis to declare a problem with the app. If people posted every time things worked perfectly, I am sure those posts would outnumber the problem posts 20 to 1.

It is like the firmware debates. There has been complaints on EVERY firmware release when it was first released blaming them for ruining drones.

The phone app is just a remote control extension powered via software. If the phone cant properly run the software, then you will have issues. Part of being an Android user is to understand all the features and functions of the device and OS. Android ONLY thrives because people dont like Microsoft and Apple taking the controls for them. And people buy it because Android IS NOT Apple or Microsoft. NOT because android is the best. Take some time to make sure Things like app data cleared and cache working, and USB permissions arent screwed up, or any of the several other Android user controls are set correctly. (I gave up on android a couple years ago)
You cant just blame software/firmware every time the computer quits working.
Good luck with your trouble. Do some reading here there are several posts that eventually get these issues solved. But I hope you resist the downgrading software approach and find the real solution!

I think is more related to the firmware and/or app conflicting the USB port.
I think it very likely it is related to another app trying to grab the USB port on the smart device. While I was up reconnoitering some future Litchi Missions yesterday I experienced similar disconnects. I have both DJI Go 4 and Litchi on my S9+. I know that is not recommended, but thought force stopping DJI Go 4 would stop the app from going after the USB port. Not so! Even after a force stop DJI Go 4 would continue going after the port causing Litchi to disconnect. I thought it might be because DJI Go 4 was set as the default. Cleared the default. Popups appeared asking me what app I wanted to use, suggest DJI Go 4 and Litchi. Uninstalled DJI Go 4 and Litchi worked perfectly.

As for firmware updates, I have done all since I bought my first Mavic in January of 2017. Really have never had any issues. Not saying others didn't, but for me no issues. I think overall DJI does a pretty darn good job on their releases.

Buy an iPhone. Problem solved.
Said like a true iOS loyalist, but in this case you're probably right. I have been flying with an iPAD Mini 2 without issues. During that time I have tried multiple Android devices including my Samsung S9+, and have found them to be much less reliable. I blame many different hardware platforms, and since Android is open source, too many variations of the OS itself.

Reactions: ac0j
Said like a true iOS loyalist, but in this case you're probably right. I have been flying with an iPAD Mini 2 without issues. During that time I have tried multiple Android devices including my Samsung S9+, and have found them to be much less reliable. I blame many different hardware platforms, and since Android is open source, too many variations of the OS itself.

Exactly!!! How is DJI supposed to write a software that works on 100s of different android versions?
Every phone / tablet manufacturer uses their own versions of Android. You can not put the OS off an LG phone on a Samsung. WHY? Because it is different!

I think it very likely it is related to another app trying to grab the USB port on the smart device. While I was up reconnoitering some future Litchi Missions yesterday I experienced similar disconnects. I have both DJI Go 4 and Litchi on my S9+. I know that is not recommended, but thought force stopping DJI Go 4 would stop the app from going after the USB port. Not so! Even after a force stop DJI Go 4 would continue going after the port causing Litchi to disconnect. I thought it might be because DJI Go 4 was set as the default. Cleared the default. Popups appeared asking me what app I wanted to use, suggest DJI Go 4 and Litchi. Uninstalled DJI Go 4 and Litchi worked perfectly.

As for firmware updates, I have done all since I bought my first Mavic in January of 2017. Really have never had any issues. Not saying others didn't, but for me no issues. I think overall DJI does a pretty darn good job on their releases.
I agree. Does anyone know if there is an app to monitor which app is accessing or prioritizing the access to the USB port?

After a few tentatives and workarounds I got a solution. I got no issue after switching to airplane mode the telephone before opening the DJI GO. Attempted more than 10 flights and it's working as before.

Reactions: BangkokFlyBoy

I got my S9+ a few weeks ago and it was working fine until I got a total disconnection during flight and my HP not set. From that point in it was not showing map or updating HP. However, I plugged in my long USB cable into RC from my phone, instead of the small cable on the side of the RC, and it has been working flawless since, leading me to believe that the small cable is faulty or the female receiver port on the RC is damaged.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000