DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sad day....drone gone :(

I have a couple of thoughts. First, the personal property insurance is used for many other high value things besides drones. Jewelry, art, antiques, collectible guns, etc. Paying off an a few drones is not going to move the needle when almost everything else on these policies are hanging on a wall or sitting in a drawer and will only be claimed if stolen or burned in a fire.

Second, the insurance companies have unlimited freedom to drop you even without a claim. My autos were all with one company. I have never had any real big claims and we have been with the same company for over 25 years. I have had up to 6 cars (kids), motorcycle, quads, two homes, and an rv. They sent a letter to us dropping the rv after 10years. We had just put it u for sale so we didn’t care but we had fun messing with their minds that we were going to cancel every vehicles come and all real estate properties. We got a litttle discount as a result Lol. Don’t let any insurance company push you around.

Reactions: jorgelrod
I’m 71 years old as I said so I have a lot of experience with insurance. My credit is over 800 with all the bureaus which is important to State Farm. The secret here is as you get older their risk goes up. Anyone that took an actuarial course as I did understands risk and exposure. First you have a deductible and I’ve not seen anyone without a deductible. Next age! They consider us older people more risky and I’m **** sure I’m not as sharp as I was in the past! Lastly is events. My wife had a couple of accidents and the losses were too much for State Farm. So just try claiming a lot of stuff and see how long you last with State Farm. BTW over 40 years we had very few claims. You just had somebody at State Farm that independently pulled the plug on us!!

Sorry for your loss :(

I'm interested to hear how State Farm will pay out and if they drop your coverage.

Well, the call went OK. They opened a claim and told me an adjuster will be reaching out to me. On the call they asked what happened and took my story. It was no more than a 7 minute call. Will let you know what the adjuster says.

I'm having trouble understanding why State Farm would completely drop you for a $1000 drone? I could see them dropping the personal articles policy (since that's separate from your home owners policy anyway), but not all of your insurance completely. I would definitely fight back on that. My wife and I have had State Farm for over 22 years and have never had an issue with them. We've had a few small claims here and there: for example, my wife backed up our vehicle into a car in our alley and it was about $1500 in damages. They didn't give us any trouble whatsoever paying that. Again, if you just took out the personal articles policy and then made a claim within a couple of months, I could see them dropping the personal articles policy. But why would they drop you completely if you have been relatively claim-free with multi-line insurance policies with them?

At any rate, I took out the policy on my Mavic Air a couple of weeks ago and I don't intend on using it. But I will have no problem making a claim if something did happen, and I would fight them tooth and nail if they tried to drop us completely for a $1000 personal articles claim.

Reactions: Brandaloo
Ok is anybody on this forum had a claim that paid 100% of the cost of the drone???? I bet not......

Ok is anybody on this forum had a claim that paid 100% of the cost of the drone???? I bet not......

There are many incidents on this forum and Phantom Pilots as well of State Farm paying out for a personal articles claim on their drone. There are many, many reports of owners getting full replacement cost with no deductible - that's how it works. Now there are also reports of State Farm canceling after a claim, but usually this is just a cancelation of the personal articles policy, NOT your entire State Farm coverage if you have other policies. State Farm may eventually stop covering drones altogether, but for now, it's still a viable alternative to DJI Refresh. It's the ones who abuse it that ruin it for everyone. I bought a Mavic Air and took out a policy with State Farm, but I do NOT plan on making a claim unless it is absolutely legit.

I had mine insured for $1000. I'm really curious what they offer me for in this claim.

I have had a AX card since 1970. They cover new purchases with a Gold card for 90 days but they make you claim on your home owners first! I said no and they covered a drone I broke when I first started flying!

Why else would you?

Because some owners have made fraudulent claims to get another drone, and those abuses will eventually compel State Farm to stop offering the insurance.

Well, adjuster just called. He asked what happened, I told him while story. He told me I had it insured for $1000, so he's issuing me a check for $1000 and removing it from the policy. When I get another, call and they'll cover it.
Hats off to State Farm... No hassle at all.

You'll get the letter, But they will pay.

State Farm. I did not recover it.. The drone is gone. I don't care if they drop me... All my other policies are with a different company. I haven't had the policy a month. This call will be interesting tomorrow.
how much was the insurance through them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak