DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Satellite lock after firmware update

After the firmware update it takes FOREVER to lock on satellites after power up. It’s absurd. Any way to speed this up? I am assuming this is a universal issue? Is DJI aware?
How much testing have you done after the firmware update?
Was it just once, or have you seen consistently long acquisition times?
The firmware update likely resets the GPS which would mean the next powerup would be a cold GPS start, which requires downloading the GPS almanac all over again.

How much testing have you done after the firmware update?
Was it just once, or have you seen consistently long acquisition times?
The firmware update likely resets the GPS which would mean the next powerup would be a cold GPS start, which requires downloading the GPS almanac all over again.
I’ve done three flights since the firmware update and it’s super slow each time. are you saying it’s not happening to you?

Reactions: dtp
I’ve done three flights since the firmware update and it’s super slow each time. are you saying it’s not happening to you?
I was just asking for more information to help understand the issue.

After a Cold start it took mine about 90 seconds to get a good lock, after a flight then a battery change just a few seconds. Didn't notice much difference between before or after firmware update.

If the update flashed the GPS module then this may cause a GPS cold start, as Meta4 has mentioned, can't say I noticed though.

What sort of Acquisition times are you looking at & where were you trying to get a lock? Inside, outside, city urban countryside?

GPS signals are very weak and can be blocked quite easily. If you want to see what coverage you have, you can install an App on the RCP or your smart phone, the one I have on my RCP is 'GPS Status' which won't show what the aircraft is seeing but will give you an idea what sort of coverage you're getting for a specific location.

Make sure that your location is correct (talking RCP here) as it may start with those locations when looking up in the almanac. Again it may not be relevant but worth checking everything.

Interesting. I had assumed that this was universal. I saw a few other posts about this on Facebook but nothing here. It’s from my backyard but it’s on a cliff big open area in the hills so satellites should be no problem but more importantly, it acquired satellites remarkably quickly before the firmware update (as in, I turned on the drone, plugged in the phone and it was ready to go). Now I wait for 5 minutes. It’s like night and day and seems clear to me that it’s due to firmware nothing else has changed including the location of take off

After the firmware update it takes FOREVER to lock on satellites after power up. It’s absurd. Any way to speed this up? I am assuming this is a universal issue? Is DJI aware?
I have noticed this as well, sometimes im 100$% battery and im 96% percent by the time I get GPS lock and home point set. This is taking WAY longer than my Air2 still which usually gets lock in 1 1/2 mins.. I will time the Mavic 3 tomorrow but I feel its taking 3-4 mins...

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Drone Works
I guess the question is I am still within the return window on Amazon or should I just return it and get a new one if I’m one of the few having this issue

Prior to the update though I was extremely impressed with how quickly it locked on the satellites however seems to be terribly slow now

It’s so slow now that it makes it almost unusable because I’m sitting somewhere with a Drone just sitting on the ground waiting for five minutes or longer. And 10% of the battery draining in the meantime

I did both compass and Imu calibration after the firmware update

Last edited:
I guess the question is I am still within the return window on Amazon or should I just return it and get a new one if I’m one of the few having this issue

Prior to the update though I was extremely impressed with how quickly it locked on the satellites however seems to be terribly slow now

It’s so slow now that it makes it almost unusable because I’m sitting somewhere with a Drone just sitting on the ground waiting for five minutes or longer. And 10% of the battery draining in the meantime

I did both compass and Imu calibration after the firmware update
10 mins is way longer than me... Is this repeating itself at multiple locations? I only have the issue with the first battery of the flights if I switch I get it quickly for secondary batteries.

10 mins is way longer than me... Is this repeating itself at multiple locations? I only have the issue with the first battery of the flights if I switch I get it quickly for secondary batteries.
I just went to another location today and waited over 10 minutes while I typed out that last post. Ive flown here before with no issues. granted it was a little cloudy but in that period of time i got 11 satellites but never enough to record a homepoint. So i just gave up. I never flew it. I've never EVER had that experience with any other drone where I couldn't even lock on to enough to fly. I jusut checked facebook and some folks are complaining about this as well but if it is just some and not all then I think i will just return my drone to amazon and have them send me a new one. Clearly the firmware caused the issue to surface but may be a hardware component as well if its only affecting some folks....

I just went to another location today and waited over 10 minutes while I typed out that last post. Ive flown here before with no issues. granted it was a little cloudy but in that period of time i got 11 satellites but never enough to record a homepoint. So i just gave up. I never flew it. I've never EVER had that experience with any other drone where I couldn't even lock on to enough to fly. I jusut checked facebook and some folks are complaining about this as well but if it is just some and not all then I think i will just return my drone to amazon and have them send me a new one. Clearly the firmware caused the issue to surface but may be a hardware component as well if its only affecting some folks....
yah, that seems very odd. No idea when the next firmware will actually be out... I can return mine up until the end of January and am still on the fence myself.

I would encourage you to chat with DJI and just report your experience as well so that they can fix it. I just did and they said they have not received any other reports of the same issue after firmware update

I notice the same thing. Take forever to lock the satellites and is getting way less. Before the firmware, i was locking about 24. Now if a get 15 I am lucky.

Reactions: Baja170
I would encourage you to chat with DJI and just report your experience as well so that they can fix it. I just did and they said they have not received any other reports of the same issue after firmware update
This isn't a slight against you by any means, but their support is so disjointed its ridiculous. I have a hard time trusting them when all they do is default to "send it to us for repair". I'm not sure if they're just responding from a script, but I personally know 3 people that have made this same complaint to their support team.

I haven't noticed anything unusual. Cold boot always takes a while. Warm boot is pretty normal.

I don't know what's happening with some M3s and the satellites, but I have absolutely no problems here. After reading this message just now, I turned my M3 on INDOORS just to check the signal. I hadn't had a problem in the past but hadn't really looked at my watch. I just wanted to know for sure now. INDOORS, my M3 gained 10 satellites in 50 secs and at 60 secs had 12 satellites and got the announcement that my homepoint had been updated -- 60 secs, 12 sats, Indoors! I upgraded to 1.5.4 five days ago. I don't think I have a satellite problem (neither have I had any of the many reported issues) but I sorry that some of you do! Keep safe and happy flying!

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
I had issues with getting satellites today. Normally I can get 14-16 right away. Took a long time to get 9 & still said weak. Then went up 25 feet & got 11. But, It's not just effecting the M3. This has been happening for the last week.

Cheers, Jon

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet