DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Satellite lock after firmware update

I'm not quite as worked up, but I totally get your points. Its beyond annoying and requires a hot fix immediately, nit along with some later FW package.

My concern is, there won't be a "fix", because this is not a "Bug". It was quite deliberate.

If you have been following Mavic 3 closely there was more than a few "my Mavic 3 did something strange" reports.
Many of them pointed at a poor home point.

Mavic 3 uses BeiDou GPS, Mavic 2 Pro and A2S do not.

I think DJI saw a problem that the GPS accuracy threshold they use to acquire home point was not quite good enough, for reliable home point. So to "fix" it, they now wait for a more accurate fix. That takes longer !!

Because they "raised the bar" the chances of you falling below some critical new thresholds also increases.
If the drone thinks the fix is poor it won't let you increase altitude (because it's not confident it's accurate enough).
There was one report of that in this thread. Member got home point, lifted off, then he couldn't climb.

My Video shows that behavior on the ground (with a reasonably clear sky). It's good enough for home point, then a minute later it's NOT, then it's good, then it's not. This can happen mid flight.
When the criteria was looser, this didn't happen. Now that they decided to push the accuracy harder you have to deal with a whole new set of problems.

The only "fix" they can do is put it back how it was. And you can do that right NOW.
Install (Unsigned) DJI Assistant 2 and you can install previous firmware.
Now maybe they can find a happy medium, I'm not sure, I don't trust them for $4600.00
I don't like that this was their solution, because it's a sign of a desperate move, they knew it would take longer to meet that threshold. But the risk of a bad home point trumped it.
That's my HUNCH !! I could be totally wrong, but I don't think I am.
If they just put it back it's gonna be really hard to verify it's as robust as say a Mavic A2S.
By that time, my return window will be up. I'm not risking it.

I write software for a living. One of my apps is totally dependent on GPS (location and speed)

‎V1Driver

I allow my users to set how good a fix the app needs to perform it's functions.
DJI changed that value. My app only has one threshold "Good or Bad" and all functions depend on it.
DJI has several accuracy thresholds, Home Point, Allowed to increase Altitude, Issuing Warnings, Impact on RTH etc.
They moved them all.

51780599080_4b2c5b50c4_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
BTW GPS issue is the straw that broke the camels back other reasons for return.

Glitchy Live Video 400ft out, assuming that will get fixed.
The need to buy a RC Pro to really maximize the Mavic 3 (which brings BASE to $3400, fly more will be $4000+).
The fact that DJI doesn't Digitally Sign Assistant 2 App (an app from China).
Using the Go Fly App.
Needing the Drone powered up to transfer files.
Any time ANYTHING is wrong, DJI's solution is, send us the drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: waternut13134
Brilliant ... all based on a hunch with no interest in looking at the data to see what is actually happening.
How do you explain the users not having this issue?
I know exactly why ~5 members have no issue and ~20 do. You should know as well.

I have no interest in gambling $4600.00

If my hunch is right, I saved being stuck with a dud. If my hunch is wrong I can buy it again in 6 months if things ever get sorted out.

But if you are the resident expert, good luck to everyone.

BTW you are another reason I’m returning it. I can’t speak my opinions without being labeled an idiot. Constantly harassed and insulted on the most popular forum for the Mavics. You took all the joy out of owning it and I could share what I’ve learned and MY reasoning without being hassled.

Last edited:
I know exactly why ~5 members have no issue and ~20 do. You should know as well.

I have no interest in gambling $4600.00

If my hunch is right, I saved being stuck with a dud. If my hunch is wrong I can buy it again in 6 months if things ever get sorted out.

But if you are the resident expert, good luck to everyone.

BTW you are another reason I’m returning it. I can’t speak my opinions without being labeled an idiot. Constantly harassed and insulted on the most popular forum for the Mavics. You took all the joy out of owning it and sharing what I’ve learned and MY reasoning.
Well then, not much point in hanging around. There's nothing wrong with supositioning... with some acknowledgment that it is just that. I am glad you don't think your wrong. You will always have your absolute certainty in your own opinion... I know a great way to avoid being "constantly harassed". You should try it. I made some comments understanding your point of view and you replied like I needed to be educated. I've worked in and around software development for 40+ years, and last I checked the flight management out of DJI has been and remains best of breed. Notice I didn't say bug free, faultless, perfect etc. They have resolved more bugs in a month than Autel has in 2+ years of Evo 2 development. I enjoy the Autel, but don't have high expectations in terms of software/fw development. You seem to know exactly what DJI did, are doing and will do. Thats incredible.

Well then, not much point in hanging around. There's nothing wrong with supositioning... with some acknowledgment that it is just that. I am glad you don't think your wrong. You will always have your absolute certainty in your own opinion... I know a great way to avoid being "constantly harassed". You should try it. I made some comments understanding your point of view and you replied like I needed to be educated. I've worked in and around software development for 40+ years, and last I checked the flight management out of DJI has been and remains best of breed. Notice I didn't say bug free, faultless, perfect etc. They have resolved more bugs in a month than Autel has in 2+ years of Evo 2 development. I enjoy the Autel, but don't have high expectations in terms of software/fw development. You seem to know exactly what DJI did, are doing and will do. Thats incredible.
I said it's a strong hunch. I could be wrong. But I can't afford to gamble it.
Where in my last reply does it imply you need to be educated, sorry if it came across that way.
I was trying to explain why I don't think this was an accident and you could be waiting a long time for a "fix".

If it really was a bug, I think they would have fixed it by now.

Try it, try flashing the old firmware and watch closely wall clock, number of sats, GPS Status, when home point is set, keep watching after home point is set. Then do it on the new firmware. It's pretty simple.

Your result WILL vary over time and location. But the difference between the two firmwares is pretty clear.

I said it's a strong hunch. I could be wrong. But I can't afford to gamble it.
Where in my last reply does it imply you need to be educated, sorry if it came across that way.
I was trying to explain why I don't think this was an accident and you could be waiting a long time for a "fix".

If it really was a bug, I think they would have fixed it by now.

Try it, try flashing the old firmware and watch closely wall clock, number of sats, GPS Status, when home point is set, keep watching after home point is set. Then do it on the new firmware. It's pretty simple.

Your result WILL vary over time and location. But the difference between the two firmwares is pretty clear.
Oh I absolutely believe it's the FW update.The change is night and day and happens to a wide group of people based on complaints. I don't wish to roll back. It's been a couple weeks. I am surprised DJI hasn't addressed it faster, but experience tells me it will absolutely be improved. When Mini 2 Smart batteries wouldn't discharge in the hub or drone, it took months and I was convinced it was unsolvable because Mini 2 batteries needed a signal line open due to no power switch. I literally couldn't conceive a solution. Fortunately DJI could conceive one and did. I was impressed, and have taken a more patient approach since, so far with expectations being met or exceeded. As I said, they are far from bug free. Interestingly I have seen this exact issue with Fimi X8SE, fixed in a FW update, then broken again, fixed again, lol! So apart from dropping Glonass we do know it can work better. But they may not want to drop the branch they have moved to. Basically I get very impatient, but would rather have a stable build than a quick fix. But a hot fix is absolutely called for!

Oh I absolutely believe it's the FW update.The change is night and day and happens to a wide group of people based on complaints. I don't wish to roll back. It's been a couple weeks. I am surprised DJI hasn't addressed it faster, but experience tells me it will absolutely be improved. When Mini 2 Smart batteries wouldn't discharge in the hub or drone, it took months and I was convinced it was unsolvable because Mini 2 batteries needed a signal line open due to no power switch. I literally couldn't conceive a solution. Fortunately DJI could conceive one and did. I was impressed, and have taken a more patient approach since, so far with expectations being met or exceeded. As I said, they are far from bug free. Interestingly I have seen this exact issue with Fimi X8SE, fixed in a FW update, then broken again, fixed again, lol! So apart from dropping Glonass we do know it can work better. But they may not want to drop the branch they have moved to. Basically I get very impatient, but would rather have a stable build than a quick fix. But a hot fix is absolutely called for!
I was just reading the Facebook groups for Mavic 3. If I had read that, I would have returned it weeks ago.

What a train wreck.

And some folks there are saying exactly what I am. M3 changed the threshold to SOLVE problems that existed.
No way in hell they are going back and will just suffer with the complaints of it being slow.

Post after post, "I have never seen a drone do this...".

If anyone can return theirs. I highly advise it.

Oh and here is DJI's response to my problem. I pointed them to this thread and link to the Video.
This has NOTHING to do with the connection between controller and drone (which also isn't great either).

P.S. I'm unlatching this thread. I'm done with this thing. Good luck everyone.

Thank you for getting back to DJI Technical Team,

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you with your Mavic 3, please kindly try the following steps to verify if it is working well,

a. It is recommended to fly in an open environment with less wireless interference.

b. Close other running programs in the background of the mobile device.

c. Pay attention to the direction of the antenna. Please adjust the plane of the antenna facing the position of the aircraft.

If the issues are still exist, you can start up an online repair request on your own by the following steps:

1. To get started with the online repair request click: DJI
2. Log-in to your DJI account using your username and password.
3. Select your region and country.
4. Once you have entered all of the required information, you will receive a case number along with a shipping label.

NOTE: if you cannot finish the online repair case creation, please reply to this email with the following information. Then we will create a case for you manually.

Complete Shipping Address (No PO Box. Kindly send us your complete shipping address to avoid further issues for shipping):
- House/Flat No./Building and floor:
- Street:
- City/Town:
- Province/State:
- Postal/Zip code:
Proof of purchase (reply the email with it)

DJI Care, DJI Care Refresh, Agreement Number: (If yes, please include a copy of your DJI Care proof of purchase with your RMA.)

Thank you for choosing DJI products and have a nice day!
Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

Fred

Last edited:
Post after post - in Facebook. The authority on all things...
"I have never seen a drone do this..."

lol. Google is your friend. Literally EVERY drone released from DJI since 2016 has had sporadic complaints of slow sat acquisition at one point or a another.

Good riddance.

SmartSelect_20211228-183719_Google.jpg

Reactions: c.oberschneider
So has anyone found any type of fix? Last night I wanted to take the M3 to go watch some fireworks and it took exactly 5 minutes and 36 seconds to get a lock on 12 satellites and gave the "The home point has now been updated". Once up in the air I was locked onto 23-27 satellites and even when I brought it back in it was still locked onto all of them. Its just for some reason at boot up it cant gather a lock. About 2 hours later at midnight, I took it back up and as it did take about a minute it was nowhere near the amount of time it took on the last flight. This leads me to think this has to be some sort of bug because why does it do it one time and not the next time? Either way its extremely annoying and really has me contemplating returning it until all these issues are fixed.

The easiest and most immediate way to mitigate a slow position fix is to take off from a location with the most onobstructed view of the sky as possible. Even trees can interfere with GNSS signals.

The easiest and most immediate way to mitigate a slow position fix is to take off from a location with the most onobstructed view of the sky as possible. Even trees can interfere with GNSS signals.
Yea but then the home point won’t be updated? I have no obstructions in a open field.

So has anyone found any type of fix? Last night I wanted to take the M3 to go watch some fireworks and it took exactly 5 minutes and 36 seconds to get a lock on 12 satellites and gave the "The home point has now been updated". Once up in the air I was locked onto 23-27 satellites and even when I brought it back in it was still locked onto all of them. Its just for some reason at boot up it cant gather a lock. About 2 hours later at midnight, I took it back up and as it did take about a minute it was nowhere near the amount of time it took on the last flight. This leads me to think this has to be some sort of bug because why does it do it one time and not the next time? Either way its extremely annoying and really has me contemplating returning it until all these issues are fixed.
It is "normal" behavior to re-obtain the same quality fix quickly over a short period of time. That is NOT a bug. All GPS systems behave that way. It knows where you were and predicts where SATs will be. But as time passes that prediction goes bad.

The problem is M3 uses a different GPS system and DJI saw it necessary to increase the accuracy needed for a good home position (in the new firmware). Which so happens to typically hit at around 12 Sats. With previous firmware it would obtain Home Point at around 8 Sats.

If they lowered the requirement back to what it was, they would be back to poor home point acquisition.

Get used to it, because the "Slow lock" IS THE FIX for this new GPS System they started using.

As all GPS Systems do, it will vary on your location, surroundings and time. Some days will be worse, some better even on a COLD acquisition and a "clear" sky.

I returned mine, mostly because of this issue.

Reactions: jnnyr
After the firmware update it takes FOREVER to lock on satellites after power up. It’s absurd. Any way to speed this up? I am assuming this is a universal issue? Is DJI aware?
I too am having the same issue. Even when I acquire 11-12 birds I keep getting the weak signal message. To expand, I have no variables. Have flown repeatedly from the exact same spot multiple times before and after the update and the results are uniform. After the update every single time I turn on to fly it takes a ridiculously long time to acquire sats and even when I do it stalls at around 7-9 and roughly 10 minutes to get 12 or more birds. I thought this was an isolated incident so I'm kinda glad to see it's not just me.

Last edited:
It is "normal" behavior to re-obtain the same quality fix quickly over a short period of time. That is NOT a bug. All GPS systems behave that way. It knows where you were and predicts where SATs will be. But as time passes that prediction goes bad.

The problem is M3 uses a different GPS system and DJI saw it necessary to increase the accuracy needed for a good home position (in the new firmware). Which so happens to typically hit at around 12 Sats. With previous firmware it would obtain Home Point at around 8 Sats.

If they lowered the requirement back to what it was, they would be back to poor home point acquisition.

Get used to it, because the "Slow lock" IS THE FIX for this new GPS System they started using.

As all GPS Systems do, it will vary on your location, surroundings and time. Some days will be worse, some better even on a COLD acquisition and a "clear" sky.

I returned mine, mostly because of this issue.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Just ordered a Skydio 2+ Pro Kit.

I’ve wanted this drone for a while but it’s short flight time and limited range was a deal breaker. Well they just addressed both with the plus.

Yes, I know it’s No DJI camera system. But it’s camera can look up :)

It won’t be a money pit like DJI either.

Nothing beats a Skydio for tracking. The only way to really do tracking is with a Beacon because sometimes Drone loses line of site with the subject.

The care refresh package is included and only $150 to replace. Includes lost drone.

My biggest disappointment is it won’t fly in the dark.

I hope to track myself water skiing.

Oh, they just released “waypoints” called KeyFrames. Now I see why folks wanted that from DJI on some newer drives.

Last edited:
Post after post - in Facebook. The authority on all things...
"I have never seen a drone do this..."

lol. Google is your friend. Literally EVERY drone released from DJI since 2016 has had sporadic complaints of slow sat acquisition at one point or a another.

Good riddance.

View attachment 140882
Sporadic slow Home Point is normal. Consistent slow Home Point is NOT normal. Mavic 3 sporadically achieves Home Point in a reasonable amount of time.

To be clear there is no such thing as a “GPS lock” It’s the quality of the acquisition needed for the application (which is fairly wide). To get the accuracy DJI sees fit for Home Point (and probably more) it takes longer using this alternate GPS system now that they have “fine tuned” the accuracy requirements to solve some issues (which were obvious to me if you look around).

Maybe DJI will back it down again. Which is better? users screaming about slow home point or lost drones. Maybe there is a happy medium and they conservatively pushed accuracy requirements to hard. Those that decide to keep it, enjoy being their beta testers for the new GPS system on your dime. Because that’s what’s going on here.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial