DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Security and safety concerns

Reactions
Hi all, new member.

Although I have owned previous DJI quadcopters in the past I am absolutely loving the Mavic.

Quick question. I own a set of DJI Goggles (which are brilliant) and there may be times that I have to fly solo without a spotter. I’m a little concerned that I am standing there blind unable to see my surroundings with an iPad or iPhone attached to the controller and someone could literally snatch it and run.

Any suggestions on how to deter the local bad guys from robbing me? Would a lanyard make them think twice?

Reactions: planotx42
Thats what puts me off about goggles. There's absolutely no way I'd use them alone. I like to know what's going on around me.

Reactions: necroscope
Never fly with goggles without someone to watch over the skies and surroundings.

Hi all, new member.

Although I have owned previous DJI quadcopters in the past I am absolutely loving the Mavic.

Quick question. I own a set of DJI Goggles (which are brilliant) and there may be times that I have to fly solo without a spotter. I’m a little concerned that I am standing there blind unable to see my surroundings with an iPad or iPhone attached to the controller and someone could literally snatch it and run.

Any suggestions on how to deter the local bad guys from robbing me? Would a lanyard make them think twice?

stay in your car..

To the OP...I fly solo with my goggles and I truly don't worry about someone "snatching" my gear. Mind you I also live in Philadelphia which has a high crime rate. Bottom-line is this, if someone wants to steal something from you bad enough they will take irregardless of goggles or not.

Reactions: Captain Nugget
Bear in mind that when using typical FPV goggles (ie those that obscure your vision of the surrounding and more importantly, the drone itself), you are liekly not in compliance with VLOS rules without using a visual observer.

My situational awareness gene does not allow the use of goggles when in general population. When I'm secluded or closed environment, yes.

Bear in mind that when using typical FPV goggles (ie those that obscure your vision of the surrounding and more importantly, the drone itself), you are liekly not in compliance with VLOS rules without using a visual observer.
exactly

Ugh...

Thanks for all of the replies. 99% of the time I will always have someone with me it’s just that only time I’m on my own etc.

The goggles are new to me so for the past few years I’ve been flying with an iPad.

Goggles or not I like to be quiet when I fly so I never set myself in a place where there are people around.
That would creep me out more, thinking someone or something sneaking up on me, that's prob just me, I get the same in the house using VR.

I had the same concerns when I got the chance to try the DJI Goggles, AND the Epson Moverio 300 FPV glasses..
Googles were really immersive and great. But like the OP said, you do lose your situational awareness.
That's why I went with the Moverios.
You can see the AC, and all of you surroundings, and still see the camera feed and telemetry in front of you "projected" like a "floating screen". Once you get them adjusted for yourself, and you choose the right sunshade to clip on the glasses, it is S.W.E.E.T....
A bit more pricey, but also, alot easier to schlep around, and they fit in my hardcase with all my mavic bits. One drone +accesories, one case....

I had the same concerns when I got the chance to try the DJI Goggles, AND the Epson Moverio 300 FPV glasses..
Googles were really immersive and great. But like the OP said, you do lose your situational awareness.
That's why I went with the Moverios.
You can see the AC, and all of you surroundings, and still see the camera feed and telemetry in front of you "projected" like a "floating screen". Once you get them adjusted for yourself, and you choose the right sunshade to clip on the glasses, it is S.W.E.E.T....
A bit more pricey, but also, alot easier to schlep around, and they fit in my hardcase with all my mavic bits. One drone +accesories, one case....
Few questions if you don't mind.
With the Moverio does the overlay fill your complete vision or is it like a box?

Is it a vivid image?

Do you need to adjust your focus going from looking at screen to real world?

They look bloody amazing.

Few questions if you don't mind.
With the Moverio does the overlay fill your complete vision or is it like a box?

Is it a vivid image?

Do you need to adjust your focus going from looking at screen to real world?

They look bloody amazing.

1. No, it is a box in the center of your field of vision. Specs say it's like an 80" tv from 15 meters. Seems about right.

2. Yes, you can adjust the brightness of the "overlay" from the Moverio controller. The controller is another story. Running Andyroids 5.something. a bit slow, but once booted and you are up in the air, all is good. Input kind of sux, as the controller is also a touchpad. You could pair a bt keyboard and mouse to for initial setup at home.

3. No, but it does take some getting used to, going back and forth between "projection" to "whole view" for lack of a better term/phrase. I only have maybe 4 hours on them total, got them for myself for Christmas.

4. They are! B/H had a sale on them for Christmas, a hundred bucks instant rebate.

5. Forgot this feature: It doesn't feel like a bucket on your head.......

Last edited:
Reactions: Callum
Hey anthony viscomi i live in bucks county right outside of philly ......small world. Yea man philly is no joke! I also dont worry about this. If it happens it happens....just hope they are faster then me at running :)

That would creep me out more, thinking someone or something sneaking up on me, that's prob just me
Yeah, could'nt care less about that personally.

I had the BT200 Moverios, but to me with them you get neither of a good direct view nor of an onboard one.
That and the klunkiness of the setup and the fact they didn't work well for me, my IPD is too narrow for both left and right images to be aligned correctly.

Hey anthony viscomi i live in bucks county right outside of philly ......small world. Yea man philly is no joke! I also dont worry about this. If it happens it happens....just hope they are faster then me at running :)
LOL...I'm in Levittown

Yeah, could'nt care less about that personally.

I had the BT200 Moverios, but to me with them you get neither of a good direct view nor of an onboard one.
That and the klunkiness of the setup and the fact they didn't work well for me, my IPD is too narrow for both left and right images to be aligned correctly.

Yeah, the IPD is critical. Sweet spot is 70 mm. I just got new real glasses after 5 years, and I just happen to have an IPD of 70mm! P perfect. If I remember right I think it can cover =/- 1mm.......

Now, if you happend to play the banjo in the movie Deliverance, your're out of luck.....:D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto