DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

See my Mini 2 easily

How far way from you have you seen the reflection? 300 feet is only one football field. Have you tried it a a mile away? Thanks.

I went to 600 ft and could see it. Never went a mile. I'll leave that to you.
There is no doubt that today's small drones can fly much further than our eyes can discern them from a clear sky, or even clouds. Reflecting sunlight certainly helps increase the visibility of the drone, but I imagine that any rotation(turning) of the aircraft could stop you from seeing it unless there were tape on all sides. Still, worth experimenting. Thanks for your input.

I made a video today showing the mini sparkling as it flew. I cannot post it here, so I took a frame from the vid. This is the drone 300 ft from me on a clear today. It flashes and changes colors (red, green, white, orange) as it moves. Looks like a strobe light!

Best I can do....

View attachment 141417
Awesome! Thanks!!

Looks great and something that I would definitely like to do. I often catch myself glancing down to my controller and then, when I return to see my drone, I have lost it visually.
My local O'Reilly's doesn't seem to have that exact tape. Could you post the manufacturer's name and the model or name of the tape.
Thanks!
Doug

Thanks, just ordered some. Have been trying to get something that works for a while.....will report back

It comes in different colors.
This is what I found on eBay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-123517.png
    Screenshot_20220108-123517.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Looks great and something that I would definitely like to do. I often catch myself glancing down to my controller and then, when I return to see my drone, I have lost it visually.
My local O'Reilly's doesn't seem to have that exact tape. Could you post the manufacturer's name and the model or name of the tape.
Thanks!
Doug
It is a 3M Prism tape. Looks silver. The colored ones do not reflect well. This one reflects back green, red, orange as it moves. Go to O'Reilly website. It is 3" wide and a few meters long. Plenty there. I found it in stock no problem.

It is a 3M Prism tape. Looks silver. The colored ones do not reflect well. This one reflects back green, red, orange as it moves. Go to O'Reilly website. It is 3" wide and a few meters long. Plenty there. I found it in stock no problem.
Yes eBay had silver also

I put this reflective tape on the motor arms on the side facing rear. Now when my Mini is just a tiny black speck in the sky, or I lost VLOS I just hover and slowly rotate and watch for the bright daytime strobe effect. Works very well, AND I know it's orientation.

I also put it on the top to keep the birds away. So far so good.
View attachment 141328
This is a good idea. I will give this a shot on my P4P, which I regularly fly 1/2 mile out or more.

D

I made a video today showing the mini sparkling as it flew. I cannot post it here, so I took a frame from the vid. This is the drone 300 ft from me on a clear today. It flashes and changes colors (red, green, white, orange) as it moves. Looks like a strobe light!

Best I can do....

View attachment 141417
Looks too good to be true - I will try and find such reflective tape. thanks.

Going to look into that myself, the reflective tape on the MM2.

This looks great. I'v put some 'white' prism tape on the front legs of my Mini 2 and a red version on the rear - I'm hoping that in addition to helping visibility this will help to determine orientation as well. Unfortunately, once I got to a local beauty spot to test this - first time the weather had been amenable to flying on a day off since mid-Decmber for me - I discovered at the last minute that I had left my phone at home!

Reactions: Speshal
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus