DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

See my Mini 2 easily

A few weeks ago, I started getting messages that my Mini 2 was losing connection with the controller. After puzzling for a couple of flights I realized that the reflective tape I had added to help with visibility was the only thing that changed between no problem and the problem starting. So I removed the tape, and the problem went away. Must have been metallic tape, interfering with the signal. It didn't really help much with the visibility much anyway, so I haven't bothered to research further.

A few weeks ago, I started getting messages that my Mini 2 was losing connection with the controller. After puzzling for a couple of flights I realized that the reflective tape I had added to help with visibility was the only thing that changed between no problem and the problem starting. So I removed the tape, and the problem went away. Must have been metallic tape, interfering with the signal. It didn't really help much with the visibility much anyway, so I haven't bothered to research further.
Can I ask where you had applied the tape?

few weeks ago, I started getting messages that my Mini 2 was losing connection with the controller. After puzzling for a couple of flights I realized that the reflective tape I had added to help with visibility was the only thing that changed between no problem and the problem starting.
Here's a thought. A while ago, couple of weeks or so, some folks stated complaining about losing connection to their drone and I've seen some scuttlebutt about it being an update issue with Fly App Version 1.6.9 and when they upgraded to Version 1.6.12, it went away…

Did you upgrade to 1.6.9 about that time and have you recently upgraded to 1.6.12?

Just a thought because a lot of that reflective "metallic" tape is just Mylar that simulates a metallic finish… But some is made from a form of malleable metal and even Mylar will block some signal…

Perhaps you just need one of those Vinyl Drone Skins in a bright color, a bit more expensive but not as expensive as a lost drone…

Good Luck!

Here's a thought. A while ago, couple of weeks or so, some folks stated complaining about losing connection to their drone and I've seen some scuttlebutt about it being an update issue with Fly App Version 1.6.9 and when they upgraded to Version 1.6.12, it went away…

Did you upgrade to 1.6.9 about that time and have you recently upgraded to 1.6.12?

Just a thought because a lot of that reflective "metallic" tape is just Mylar that simulates a metallic finish… But some is made from a form of malleable metal and even Mylar will block some signal…

Perhaps you just need one of those Vinyl Drone Skins in a bright color, a bit more expensive but not as expensive as a lost drone…

Good Luck!
Possible. But to test I’d need to put the same tape in the same places, and I’m not willing to risk that.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Can I ask where you had applied the tape?
Some strips on the legs, a small piece on the belly. My theory is that the legs were the problem. But the post suggesting it was coincidental could also be right. Though now that I think about it, I’m not sure how the app on the phone can disrupt the connection from the controller to the drone.

Some strips on the legs, a small piece on the belly. My theory is that the legs were the problem. But the post suggesting it was coincidental could also be right. Though now that I think about it, I’m not sure how the app on the phone can disrupt the connection from the controller to the drone.
By "legs" if you mean the little landing legs that come straight down from under the two front motors that could definitely be your problem. You should not put anything that could interfere with any signals on there. The antennas that communicates to the RC are built into those little legs. See pic to see where I applied my prism tape. I have no issues.

Attachments

• Tape.jpg
    Tape.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 18
By "legs" if you mean the little landing legs that come straight down from under the two front motors that could definitely be your problem. You should not put anything that could interfere with any signals on there. The antennas that communicates to the RC are built into those little legs. See pic to see where I applied my prism tape. I have no issues.
No, I meant pretty much the same place you show yours. Either my tape is different, or some other factor was at play.

I was using that Red, Yellow and Blue Electrical Tape for all 4 of Mine! That Reflected Tape is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!
I don't know what reflective tape you have but i bought some and it was either very good (if the light hit it at the right angle ) or else it just looked an average red colour (darkish too :(

I like the idea of the prismatic type shown above. will do a local search for that.

I don't know what reflective tape you have but i bought some and it was either very good (if the light hit it at the right angle ) or else it just looked an average red colour (darkish too :(

I like the idea of the prismatic type shown above. will do a local search for that.
I bought this on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5H44Q1B. Works great and is just the right width, you just have to cut to length.

Hi All - I found this the other day after stumbling onto this thread. The Part # and Line seem to match your receipt. This idea sounds great for better visibility.

View attachment 142195

Jackh - did you say the adhesive this product uses is not permanent and comes off the Mini2 easily w/o any residue?
For some stupid reason amazon does not want to ship this item to Belgium, and I cannot find a webshop that has the right one and is willing to send it to me :(

For some stupid reason amazon does not want to ship this item to Belgium, and I cannot find a webshop that has the right one and is willing to send it to me :(
You want 6" (about 15 cm)? Pm your address...I'd be happy to share, and don't think international post for a small bit would be that expensive.

This is a great idea!
Especially where I have "floaters" in my eyes that are sometimes the same size as my drone . I got a roll of 2" tape on Amazon- its important that it says "self adhering" otherwise you'll just get a roll of ribbon (PM me if you need any ribbon!):p adheres well and if you make a mistake/want to redo, it peels right off!

I made a video today showing the mini sparkling as it flew. I cannot post it here, so I took a frame from the vid. This is the drone 300 ft from me on a clear today. It flashes and changes colors (red, green, white, orange) as it moves. Looks like a strobe light!

Best I can do....

View attachment 141417
It looks great on the picture. The reality is not that great - almost useless. Try buying a flashLED. instead...

It looks great on the picture. The reality is not that great - almost useless. Try buying a flashLED. instead...
That has not been my experience. I have found the prism tape applied to the trailing edges of the arms and the battery door to reflect the sun very nicely and allow me to very quickly locate my UAS, with the obvious caveat that the sun needs to be shinning. But certainly everyone should do what works best for them.

Hi Jackh.
I am not talking "small blue LED" but

VIFLY Universal Strobe LED​

I can see the drone with VIFLY strobing in sunshine on the distance of 300m.

Honestly: Why is this thread so annoyingly long? So many people asking for OReillys link to the tape, that is apparently very crucial for a successful solution. Why don't you give us the exact link to the tape on OReillys website? Why don't you publish your video on Youtube? My impression (from the pictures of velcro tapes on the backdoor of your drone) is, that you actually put a VIFLY on the drone, take the video with the VIFLY flashing and cut the frame out from it. I have (thanks to you) purchased a bunch of different reflexive tapes, seriously tried to fly in full sunshine with them and haven't noticed any useful reflexion. I do not want to fight your suggestion, I want to save precious time a disappointment for people trying to follow it.

In actual fact, early on I posted the picture, OReilly's SKU, and price of this product. I also mentioned it is NOT shown on their website.
And yes for night flying I do also have a strobe which is besides the point.
I could not post a video in this forum which I ALSO pointed out. The pic shown was a frame from the video I did make.
You implying that I really used a strobe to create this effect is insulting and stupid. So piss off.

Finally since you are too lazy to have read the thread, you missed all the other posts warning that this tape is different than the rest. Many tried to use other tape and failed to achieve the same effect. You just piled on the stupid train and bought stuff already proven to not work the same. That's your loss.

You were given exact details what to use and many have used it to find the same results I reported. I am not to blame for your purchase decisions.
You just can't fix stupid.

In actual fact, early on I posted the picture, OReilly's SKU, and price of this product. I also mentioned it is NOT shown on their website.
And yes for night flying I do also have a strobe which is besides the point.
I could not post a video in this forum which I ALSO pointed out. The pic shown was a frame from the video I did make.
You implying that I really used a strobe to create this effect is insulting and stupid. So piss off.

Finally since you are too lazy to have read the thread, you missed all the other posts warning that this tape is different than the rest. Many tried to use other tape and failed to achieve the same effect. You just piled on the stupid train and bought stuff already proven to not work the same. That's your loss.

You were given exact details what to use and many have used it to find the same results I reported. I am not to blame for your purchase decisions.
You just can't fix stupid.
Hi again Jackh,
I have tried to be polite inspite the fact that English is not my strong side. Calling people "lazy", "stupid", "piss off", "case closed" etc. doesn't solve their problems. Put the video on Youtube. For the night flying you use the velcro on the top of the drone, so what for is the velcro on the backdoor?

For all others who are happy with the reflex tape: Can you, please, give me the link to a working tape that I can buy in (or at least from) Europe?

Hey tonys_0

You said yourself "I can see the drone with VIFLY strobing in sunshine on the distance of 300m.".
How about just letting it go and just use your strobe.
I have the option of using my strobe on the top or on the back of my drone which is the point of the velcro in 2 places.
FYI, I stopped supporting Youtube years ago. I removed all my videos there a long time ago.

BTW, let's be clear, it was YOU being impolite to me that elicited my reaction.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d