DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

See my Mini 2 easily

Hey Jack, I went to my local O'reilly store and they couldn't find anything that you had written about( poly based tape). Do you have a code number that I could look it up and order through their website?
Thanks,
Tommy

T0926 crome trimbrite 3"x5'
Barcode 0 312119 00926 3
Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_20220324_104123.jpg
    IMG_20220324_104123.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220324_104035.jpg
    IMG_20220324_104035.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: tommytavor
Just ordered some from Amazon. Great idea. I may match it up with two strobes. Now all I need are some days where the wind isn't gusting at 25 mph and it's not raining...

I put this reflective tape on the motor arms on the side facing rear. Now when my Mini is just a tiny black speck in the sky, or I lost VLOS I just hover and slowly rotate and watch for the bright daytime strobe effect. Works very well, AND I know it's orientation.

I also put it on the top to keep the birds away. So far so good.
View attachment 141328
Great idea! Thanks for sharing. 👍

I put this reflective tape on the motor arms on the side facing rear. Now when my Mini is just a tiny black speck in the sky, or I lost VLOS I just hover and slowly rotate and watch for the bright daytime strobe effect. Works very well, AND I know it's orientation.

I also put it on the top to keep the birds away. So far so good.
View attachment 141328
I looked on amazon and found reflective tape, but not in the pattern on yours. Since I fly at Sundown I would be interested if the reflective tape works differently at different angles from the sun? It would seem by simply rotating that the tape would work well?

I looked on amazon and found reflective tape, but not in the pattern on yours. Since I fly at Sundown I would be interested if the reflective tape works differently at different angles from the sun? It would seem by simply rotating that the tape would work well?
I have a 5' roll of that Prism tape and it's enough to outfit a fleet of mini 2s. I live just north of Austin if you'd like a section of it.

I found some prism tape on Amazon that looks like it would work. It comes in various colors. Anyone have experience with might be the best color to use?

I found some prism tape on Amazon that looks like it would work. It comes in various colors. Anyone have experience with might be the best color to use?
Mine is the T0926 chrome trimbrite 3"x5'. Silver/chrome with a 'prism' pattern and multicolor depending on sun/light angle of refraction.

Mine is the T0926 chrome trimbrite 3"x5'. Silver/chrome with a 'prism' pattern and multicolor depending on sun/light angle of refraction.
I’m going to try this stuff from Amazon:

I’m going to try this stuff from Amazon:
If you want a variety of colors try this on Amazon:

They are 3" x 4" sample sheets. Plenty to cover multiple drones. Just ordered some myself.

Forgive me if I've replied to this thread previously. If I have I'm going to double down on what I probably said...

Why mess around with tape if you're going to fly at dusk? The reflective tape is expensive and while I'm sure it helps, there is nothing like having one or more strobes on your drone. I've tried reflective tape when I got my first drone, a Mini 1 two years ago.

What I would suggest is getting one Vifly strobe for $15 or a 3 pack for $40. They are bright, cheap and each one can be set to red, green or clear and are as bright as a Firehouse Arc II strobe. They'll be much better than reflective tape during the day and at night the distance you can see it is exponential. The darker the sky the farther you can see the strobes.

One configuration I use on my Mini 2 is one forward facing red strobe, one green strobe fastened by velcro on the rear battery hatch and one clear one on the bottom. There are lots of ways to configure your strobes depending on how many you have, but to start I'd recommend the 3 pack of the Vifly for $40 which will give you a lot of flexibility day or night.

Attachments

• Mini_Strobe_topmount.jpg
    Mini_Strobe_topmount.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 24
If you don't use too much, you can probably keep a sub 250g drone under the limit with the reflective tape. Not possible with the strobes.
My naked Mini 2 is 232 grams. A vifly strobe is 6 grams with velcro attached, measured on a jewelry scale. How many vifly strobes can you add without going over? Maybe 3. The smaller Firehouse strobes are 4 grams. If you don't add leg extentions or any other accessories you can have more than one strobe without going over 250 grams. But if you're in the US, 250 grams is largely irrelevant if you spend the $5 and 10 minutes of time to register with the FAA.

FWIW and for the sake of conversation, the Mini 3 is different pushing the envelope at 249 grams naked. That's probably why DJI cut off the legs so it could stuff sensors and a different camera and larger sensor inside.

Reactions: LoudThunder
This tape is commonly used on golf course green pins to help allow digital range finders find the pin distance.
This is a GREAT idea and I would think with a little creative effort you might be able to DIY skin most of the drone with it. The tape IS kind of heavy... Not sure if it would put you over the 250g mark on the mini 2, tho... +1

I sent a note to decalgirl (DecalGirl | Custom Cases, Skins + Wraps for Your Electronics!) a while back asking if they could make a skin out of the prism material. They said they would have to check with their supplier. Haven't heard anything back and nothing new on the web site.

Maybe if a few more folks submit a similar request they might look at it more closely.

Such a GREAT DIY idea! I'm impressed. +1. I'm thinking about maybe completely skinning the drone with a little home project. Would it interfere with the GPS and what not. Or would you guys just recommend putting strips on like has been shown in this thread?

In my experience thus far, I think only some strips are needed. If you cover it, then you can introduce other problems. Namely to the camera function and image quality.
I have been using mine a while now and encountered flying around these birds again. They displayed no interest in my drone since. This is by no means some scientific conclusion, but a before and after observation in my case.
YMMV

In my experience thus far, I think only some strips are needed. If you cover it, then you can introduce other problems. Namely to the camera function and image quality.
I have been using mine a while now and encountered flying around these birds again. They displayed no interest in my drone since. This is by no means some scientific conclusion, but a before and after observation in my case.
YMMV
Hmm.. Thanks for your quick response. You may be correct.. I was just trying to find some kind of way to be "creative" about it.. Either way I think this is just a MARVELOUS idea! Hmph

I made a video today showing the mini sparkling as it flew. I cannot post it here, so I took a frame from the vid. This is the drone 300 ft from me on a clear today. It flashes and changes colors (red, green, white, orange) as it moves. Looks like a strobe light!

Best I can do....

View attachment 141417
That's amazing! Thanks for the image.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost