DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

See my Mini 2 easily

Jackh

Reactions
I put this reflective tape on the motor arms on the side facing rear. Now when my Mini is just a tiny black speck in the sky, or I lost VLOS I just hover and slowly rotate and watch for the bright daytime strobe effect. Works very well, AND I know it's orientation.

I also put it on the top to keep the birds away. So far so good.
reflect.jpg

Does it also reflect torch light for those unwelcome occasions when you might be looking for a crashed drone in scrub or trees etc.?

Uum be wary of putting what may be metal containing tape on the top of the drone, there might be a risk of impairing GPS reception. If I a wrong someone please correct me.

Reactions: Gary R
We don't want to test that !!!! LOLL... Not me. Now seriously is a good idea. Nice job.

Does it also reflect torch light for those unwelcome occasions when you might be looking for a crashed drone in scrub or trees etc.?

Uum be wary of putting what may be metal containing tape on the top of the drone, there might be a risk of impairing GPS reception. If I a wrong someone please correct me.
I assumed that was intentional tape to block GPS and simulate ATTI mode :)
Reflective tape looks great! I might try something similar on my Air 2s. I'm wary of sticking too much on my Mini 2 - it's easy to put it over 250 grams.

Which tape exactly is that and where did you buy it?
Is there a reason you chose to put it on the rear rather than on the front?

It is reflective tape I bought from OReillys auto supply. (Best Price) . No metal foil, polymer based. It reflects ALL light from any source. That is it's function.

I used the rear so there won't be any effect to the camera operation and birds generally attack from behind. I have flown several missions, including Litchi waypoint missions with no problems to operations.

If it’s working well, then it’s probably going to be a good solution. Try flying a little way out, and if you start to see signal interference at a closer range than what you believe it should, then I’d attribute it to the tape. However, if it’s truly just polymer based, your experiment will likely show no degradation, and we can call it good. Keep us posted, I may want to try it on my Mini-1

Reactions: Dadwag1965
I put this reflective tape on the motor arms on the side facing rear. Now when my Mini is just a tiny black speck in the sky, or I lost VLOS I just hover and slowly rotate and watch for the bright daytime strobe effect. Works very well, AND I know it's orientation.

View attachment 141328
I like the idea. You don’t possibly have a video of your drone in flight do you?

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies

View attachment 141328
hmmmmm...let me reflect on that!
Dale

View attachment 141328
I was using that Red, Yellow and Blue Electrical Tape for all 4 of Mine! That Reflected Tape is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 141328
Great idea - high visibility definitely improves your VLOS. I put skins from Decalgirl on my M2P, which helped a lot.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: MikeRW and Bandit1
OK--thanks. Amazon has a number of choices as well but you have to buy 9 feet or so.
I've ordered some from Amazon before; it's not the same at all - thicker and not as good at sticking to the drone. You could try a car-wrap place for an offcut. Trim-Line sold me a small amount at a great price.

It's a shame we couldn't have model like decals they have no weight too them very thin

I made a video today showing the mini sparkling as it flew. I cannot post it here, so I took a frame from the vid. This is the drone 300 ft from me on a clear today. It flashes and changes colors (red, green, white, orange) as it moves. Looks like a strobe light!

Best I can do....

Reflection.jpg

I made a video today showing the mini sparkling as it flew. I cannot post it here, so I took a frame from the vid. This is the drone 300 ft from me on a clear today. It flashes and changes colors (red, green, white, orange) as it moves. Looks like a strobe light!

Best I can do....

View attachment 141417
That's impressive! It does look like a strobe. Can you post a short video clip? It might give some more idea of distance and reflectivity.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead