DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sell The Pro 2?

Klavis

Reactions
I have two questions to ask you pro mavic pilots. In my country I can now sell my mavic 2 pro for more or less the same price as I bought it for. I'm considering selling it now in anticipation of Mavic 3. what do you think? Question 2, for me the whole fun dies if I have to take drone certificate and register the drone (costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time) will mavic pro 3 potentially be able to claim things that make it impossible to fly without a certificate or registration? if that is the case then i will just keep the Mavic pro 2 becuse its hazzelfree ( until now )

It's been rumors about a Mavic 3 since the Mavic 2 was released ... & we haven't seen anything yet, your fortune teller is as good as ours I'm afraid.

And as you haven't stated which country you are referring to ... not much can be said about possible coming regulations there either.

All is up for you to decide ...

I don't think either of your questions can be answered with any sort of fact right now. Although it would seem that DJI would release an updated 'Pro' version of the Mavic at some point, nobody can really say when that will be with any authority, and it's anybody's guess what this updated Mavic will include. I will also add that with the US FAA rules gradually evolving, I could understand DJI waiting 6 -8 months (or even more) prior to releasing a new 'Pro' series Mavic. That is speculation of course, and I am not saying that the US market dictates their marketing strategy, but I think the entire UAV industry is watching things evolve in the US, as parts or all of what happens here will evolve in other countries as well.

As Brockrock notes, the FAA regulations for the US are currently in flux. It's also a similar situation in the EU and UK where we're still waiting for the final details of the new drone categories and accompanying aircraft class markings to be sorted out so that vendors like DJI can actually apply them. Despite the actual laws being passed and now on the books, AFAIK there is still no sign of when this might actually reach the stage when vendors can apply the markings to new models, and they cannot be retrospectively applied. Since any aircraft without the markings will enter a "legacy" category which can seriously limit where you can fly the aircraft in a couple of years time. understandably, a lot of potential buyers in Europe are not going to buy something like a Mavic 3 unless the class marking is present.

My guess is that it's pretty likely that DJI (and other vendors) actually have new models almost ready to go, but until the major markets of the EU, UK, and US finalise their legal requirements they're going to hold out as long as possible before announcing anything just in case it essentially becomes legally obsolete within a few months because of something they could have fixed with a quick tweak to the hardware. Practical upshot; I'm not expecting and mid- to high-end model announcements until the US and European regulatory bodies all finalise their requirements, and it's anyone's guess how long that might take, so if you're going to sell now you might be without an aircraft for quite some time.

@Klavis i have to agree with most of what the previous posters have said ,here in the UK we have nearly two more years before our current Mavic pro drones become virtually obsolete other than for flying in very sparsely inhabited places, well away from any one or any thing ,i would make the most of your current drone ,fly as much as you can ,within the current world situation with regards to covid and enjoy it for what it is, all the mavic pro family of drones were, and still are at the pinnacle of the drone ladder ,and eventually DJI will bring us a new version that will be able to fly under the new rules with all that is required

I quote from the goverment:
Next year, it will be forbidden to fly your drone if you have not registered and taken out insurance. The penalty for flying unregistered is fines or imprisonment.

01.01.2021 the EU will have a common set of rules that regulate the use of drones. This means that most of the 340,000 drone owners in Norway must register, take an online course and take out insurance before they can continue flying.

The rules must ensure equal competition in the EU, increased security and improved privacy. But they will also give you more freedom and let you fly in more places.

Do not distinguish between hobby and business
One of the main drawbacks of the new rules is that it will no longer differentiate between hobby use and professional use. Today's rules have distinguished between these two categories and had two different regulations, depending on whether you are just "flying for fun" or "flying for commercial purposes".

Reactions: gppms and Droniac
I think it is really hard to second-guess DJI. While we're anticipating the Mavic 3, they could come out with something entirely different. And when? They aren't saying. You have to also remember that the Mavic Air 2 does much of what the Mavic 2 does, some things even better. What might be coming could be a total departure from the Mavic 2 and then see a replacement for the Mavic Air 2 with the Mavic Air 3. I won't even try to speculate.

As an example our inability to guess what DJI would do next, who would have thought they'd release the Mini 2 such a short time after releasing the Mini 1? It was sudden and many folks has *just* bought the Mini 1 and were surprised by that move. Additionally, who would have thought they'd build the Mini 2 controller off of the Mavic Air 2 controller???

Having said that, personally I don't think if you're going to upgrade you're going to escape the new rules and regulations in your country, eventually coming for all of us. Mercifully we in the US have a bit wider latitude for licensing and registration for recreational flyers is easy and cheap...at least for now.

@Klavis ,we have to register ourselves as a drone owner operator ,and if we wish to fly ,then we need to do a free test that lasts 5 years now, to get ourselves a Flyer ID ,that has to be carried with us when we are flying, we also have no difference between hobby and commercial any more ,other than the fact, that for commercial use insurance is required and our current drones are now classed as legacy for a period of two years as i stated in my post #5 we can also take advanced tests to allow us to fly with less restrictions ,which is something i have already done

In EU countries, we M2P owners have 22 months to fly under current law.

Then our drones are to be regarded as museum objects.

That DJI comes out with drones that meet the new requirements we all probably believe in, date, it is probably something that their marketing department struggles with, the technical solutions are more or less already in our drones, but the new law stipulates that the drone must be CE-marked and A-classified already at the time of manufacture, nothing that can be added afterwards, unless there is a change in the law.

So we continue to fly and enjoy, but it may be time to start putting away a penny for the new drone.

The requirements for flying drones over 250g, they clarify "old man mavic" in their post # 8.

Reactions: Droniac
In EU countries, we M2P owners have 22 months to fly under current law.

Then our drones are to be regarded as museum objects...
Nah ... wouldn't say it's completely game over after that, at least not in Sweden (should be pretty similar in all EU). Below is what's stated in the official sources ... in their simplified process map --> https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/4...vergangsreglerna/overgangsregler-uas-ver8.pdf

After Jan 1 2023

Drone weight between 250g - 25kg:

Only over participating people, Min. 150m from residential, commercial, industrial, or recreational areas. Remote pilot with A3 competence, Max. 120m height or +15 m over obstacles.

Drone weight less than 250g:

Read user manual. OK over people but not a crowd. Max. 50m away in follow me mode. Max. 120m height or +15 m over obstacles.

Nah ... wouldn't say it's completely game over after that, at least not in Sweden (should be pretty similar in all EU). Below is what's stated in the official sources ... in their simplified process map --> https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/4...vergangsreglerna/overgangsregler-uas-ver8.pdf

After Jan 1 2023

Drone weight between 250g - 25kg:

Only over participating people, Min. 150m from residential, commercial, industrial, or recreational areas. Remote pilot with A3 competence, Max. 120m height or +15 m over obstacles.

Drone weight less than 250g:

Read user manual. OK over people but not a crowd. Max. 50m away in follow me mode. Max. 120m height or +15 m over obstacles.

I have previously written that both EU and Swedish rules are not completely clear in my opinion, the diagram you show does not provide absolute clarity either, we have to wait and see, I fly my M2P until further notice.

So as of now in the U.S all you have to do is get the 5 dollar for 3 years license and then tape the number to your drone, right? Also when I registered my drone I was in the U.S and we recently moved to Haiti for a number of years. Should I just keep following what the U.S guidelines say because I am sure that Haiti does not have any laws for drones.

I have two questions to ask you pro mavic pilots. In my country I can now sell my mavic 2 pro for more or less the same price as I bought it for. I'm considering selling it now in anticipation of Mavic 3. what do you think? Question 2, for me the whole fun dies if I have to take drone certificate and register the drone (costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time) will mavic pro 3 potentially be able to claim things that make it impossible to fly without a certificate or registration? if that is the case then i will just keep the Mavic pro 2 becuse its hazzelfree ( until now )
KEEP YOUR 2 - until you know and it may be worth more if 3 is regulated!

It's been rumors about a Mavic 3 since the Mavic 2 was released ... & we haven't seen anything yet, your fortune teller is as good as ours I'm afraid.

And as you haven't stated which country you are referring to ... not much can be said about possible coming regulations there either.

I question if between the zoom, “hasselblat”and the enterprise if this might put a Mavic 3 at a snails pace. On the other hand I could be just thinking more like an operator than a businessman. Still having enjoyment with my MP2 waiting on some decent sky’s.

Reactions: Lear55pilot

I’d wait until DJI announces it if you don’t already have a second drone and like to fly.

I just saw that clip of the DJI unnamed mystery but show a March date. Smells like 3 to me. Or it could be my sinuses.

So as of now in the U.S all you have to do is get the 5 dollar for 3 years license and then tape the number to your drone, right? Also when I registered my drone I was in the U.S and we recently moved to Haiti for a number of years. Should I just keep following what the U.S guidelines say because I am sure that Haiti does not have any laws for drones.
True no rule published yet fo Haiti... but here’s some advice:

Can you specify what you don't think is clear in at least the Swedish official writing? (in the end of this page --> Övergångsregler gäller 1 januari 2021–31 december 2022 - Transportstyrelsen )

You're right about rules after 1/1 2023, a document that I completely missed, perhaps because it seems to have been produced in January 2021, after I took my drone card.

The rules after 1/1 2023 for non-classified drones seem to me to be so restrictive that flying my current M2P will not be relevant, and I have a hard time seeing that anyone wants to fly under these restrictions.

A new "Mavic 3" or it will be an MM2, to avoid most restrictions.

About ambiguities, yes the dispensation for M2P I think lies in the fact that it meets most of the C2-class requirements, but then there is talk of distances, 150, 50 or 5 meters (1: 1 rule), not entirely clear, in relation to A1 , A2 and A3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21