DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

selling my soul

Nick-su

Reactions
Ive only just joined and asked for help about android tablets, lots of people keep telling me ipad mini 4
Now i dont like apple but was prepared to look, and it came as no suprise that apple made having gps a substantial upgrade. now i fully understand that i would only realy need gps in the ipad if i moved my homepoint mid flight and needed to hit the return to home button or have the drone auto return of its own choice. as far as maps go a wifi only tablet could be linked via a hotspot on my phone (i have 20 gig a month data) so incase i do sell my soul to the devil and buy apple ( oh another reason was the fact it fits just with no addapter required) a couple of questions
1, is the mini 4 up to the job of receiving the video from a mavic2pro
2, what spec is required storage wise, this would be a drone only tablet so dji go 4 and any other apps , 15gig, 32 gig , 64 gig?
3, is the cellular/gps version needed or not, did you buy the lesser and regret it?

I cant believe im genuinly asking this ?

Bear in mind that the video recording at high quality, is done to the SD card in the Mavic itself, so don't look at your 'pad as being the storage mechanism for your flight video's. If you are doing a 'local cache' the video will be low quality and you should delete it regularly ... I use a Huawei P10 phone as my controller unit and have had zero issues using Android with my Mavic Pro.

it should be, id go for the 64gig , you cant upgrade it later , just get the wifi version. I use an ipad pro 11 and a ipad pro 12.9. both give flawless performance

Yes

2, what spec is required storage wise, this would be a drone only tablet so dji go 4 and any other apps , 15gig, 32 gig , 64 gig?
Depending on what 'other' apps you want to have on the iPad mini 4, minimum should be 32 GB, better 64 GB ...

3, is the cellular/gps version needed or not, did you buy the lesser and regret it?
I have more than 1 iPad, the one which stays at home is the one without Cellular.

Reactions: Nick-su
is the mini 4 up to the job of receiving the video from a mavic2pro
Yes, lots of people are still using the iPad Mini 4 (as you can see here). If your budget allows for it, the iPad Mini 5 is another great option (if you're going Apple). It's brighter and faster.

what spec is required storage wise, this would be a drone only tablet so dji go 4 and any other apps , 15gig, 32 gig , 64 gig?
Drone only and you're not going to store lots of photos/videos on it? 16GB would be plenty of space.

is the cellular/gps version needed or not, did you buy the lesser and regret it?
I bought it just in case. I don't use GPS-related features much.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Nick-su
I get gps , on my wifi only the gps is supplied by the drone as far as I know

on my wifi only the gps is supplied by the drone as far as I know
All DJI drones contain a GPS receiver to find the location of the drone.

Some features of DJI GO require the location of the mobile device. For example, you might want to set the home point to your current location. That won't be possible if you're only able to find the current location of the drone (via the drone's GPS receiver).

I wouldn't dismiss Android devices if that's what you prefer as there's plenty that work well it's just there's such a wide range of Android devices there are some, particularly underspecced budget devices that don't work well with DJI Go. I did almost buy an Apple device even though I can't stand them but glad I didn't, I went for a much better specced Android device which has had no issues and a useful device in general. It's worth bearing in mind that while this forum is incredibly quick to bash Android devices and praise Apple devices because the latter never have any issues, people seem to have very short and selective memories:

Admittedly that's a general thing with Apple I've found though.

Reactions: Dedal
I wouldn't dismiss Android devices if that's what you prefer as there's plenty that work well it's just there's such a wide range of Android devices there are some, particularly underspecced budget devices that don't work well with DJI Go. I did almost buy an Apple device even though I can't stand them but glad I didn't, I went for a much better specced Android device which has had no issues and a useful device in general. It's worth bearing in mind that while this forum is incredibly quick to bash Android devices and praise Apple devices because the latter never have any issues, people seem to have very short and selective memories:

Admittedly that's a general thing with Apple I've found though.
Trust me im no apple liker, having watched a few videos of the mini4 just fitting into the mp2 controller, very snugly you would almost think it was designed just for that tablet. I too prefer android but im not so sure on the addapters to make them fit. from an ergonomis view point i would like full uninterupted view of the controller with the tablet either below or above just not infront of

Ive only just joined and asked for help about android tablets, lots of people keep telling me ipad mini 4
The Apple people love to tell you that you need Apple devices to fly but it's a myth.
If you don't like Apple devices, you don't have to use them.
I recommended two superb Android devices in your previous post.
Perhaps a late model Apple device would run the DJI app as well but it couldn't run it any better.
now i fully understand that i would only realy need gps in the ipad if i moved my homepoint mid flight and needed to hit the return to home button or have the drone auto return of its own choice. as far as maps go a wifi only tablet could be linked via a hotspot on my phone
Hardly any flyers ever reset their home point or need to.
But if you tried to using an Apple device, it wouldn't work anyway.
There's been a bug that has prevented it with Apple devices for the last two years.

Maps aren't necessary at all but you can easily cache your maps at home if you really want them.
It's not necessary at all and as mentioned above, you still couldn't reset home to the current location of the controller with an Apple device.

Reactions: Dedal
Like you Nick-su
I noticed all the hype for iPads so I got a used iPad Air 2, hate the thing, not that it doesn't work I just hate the OS.
I now use an Android Samsung Galaxy S5e and love it especially after fitting an anti glair tempered glass screen protector.
I may have put up with an iPad if I could have got hold of a mini at a reasonable price and only used it to fly, if I knew anyone with one I would give it a test run before splashing for one.

Click THIS for Samsung S5e specifications & THIS for the iPad Mini.

Like you Nick-su
I noticed all the hype for iPads so I got a used iPad Air 2, hate the thing, not that it doesn't work I just hate the OS.
I now use an Android Samsung Galaxy S5e and love it especially after fitting an anti glair tempered glass screen protector.
I may have put up with an iPad if I could have got hold of a mini at a reasonable price and only used it to fly, if I knew anyone with one I would give it a test run before splashing for one.

Click THIS for Samsung S5e specifications & THIS for the iPad Mini.
it was th os that made me get rid of my one and only apple product years ago. i had an iphone 4 for 6 months (I fell for the hype) ok my soul is safe, back to android that we love :)

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I went with the ipad mini 4 as I tried for weeks to get my Samsung tab S2 to work , certain models of the S2 will not work , the S2 is 8 inch , perfect size , mini 4 is 8 inches , Samsung no longer makes 8 inch tablets , the newer 10 inch ones are built different and work .

Now i dont like apple but was prepared to look, and it came as no suprise that apple made having gps a substantial upgrade. now i fully understand that i would only realy need gps in the ipad if i moved my homepoint mid flight and needed to hit the return to home button or have the drone auto return of its own choice. as far as maps go a wifi only tablet could be linked via a hotspot on my phone (i have 20 gig a month data) so incase i do sell my soul to the devil and buy apple ( oh another reason was the fact it fits just with no addapter required) a couple of questions

I have a iPad mini 4 with 128 gb. Wifi only and works great

Everyone said Ipad Mini was the perfect tablet for the Mavic. I got sucked into the vortex and bought one, a used Mini 4 with cellular ability. I was very disappointed. The screen was not bright enough and the aspect ratio was wrong for 16:9. Lots of wasted space on the screen with black bars top and bottom and the tablet has wide bezels. I sold it after 2 flights and bought a Samsung S5e. It is bigger brighter and has proper aspect ratio. It comes with GPS. No need to buy a cellular model. It is a better tablet in every way except it does not fit in the arms without a mount.

Dude, these are just tools. Get the one that you need for the job. Especially if you will only / mostly use this tablet for flying, you shouldn't have to feel dirty choosing one or the other.

My PCs at home are all Windows, always have been. But I use an iPad with my drone (non-cellular, I honestly don't know if it has GPS because I don't care, since the aircraft has GPS and that does all I want and need).

I dislike Android tablets and would never chose one for the drone if I had a choice, but guess what: I own one of those too. It's useful for what I got it for and still use it for (non-drone use).

Get the tool that works for your purpose.

Chris

don't forget to tell OP about the worst part of Android which is the discharge of battery on the controller and the crappy usb selections !

don't forget to tell OP about the worst part of Android which is the discharge of battery on the controller and the crappy usb selections !
I don't get that problem with mine - as it just pop's a window to select a data connection when the controller is attached. Even if it did drain a little battery, going Apple just would not give me the value in the price difference in my opinion!

If you download your maps ahead of time and want to have GPS. Garmin Makes a Bluetooth GPS unit that works just fine. I have one and am happy as pie with the 2019 iPad 10.2 model that's been on sale a lot. If I forget the maps I just hop onto a wifi hotspot from my phone briefly to get the map and then disconnect once I have the map. I loved flying with my Pixel 3 but had a few app crashes during waypoint missions I mostly went to the iPad for a bigger screen and to see if the app really is more stable (so far it is). Never caused any real issues since the drone just kept going on its mission unless I stopped it with the remote. Now I have the smart controller and will use the iPad on the original remote as a trainer/live client view.

Meh. They both have their pluses and minuses so whatever floats your boat is my philosophy.

I am no expert but I use a 9.5 inch iPad 32 GB and I do not write to the cache (turned off). All of my data goes to the SD card. I have never had a problem. The iPad was originally used form my old Mavic Air before I sold that and went to the Mavic 2 Pro. The iPad adapted immediately. Don't need any storage on the pad since you are writing to the card. Use DJI Go4 without any problem

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan