DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Selling Video Footage

Hiwayman

Reactions
I have been approached to sell some stock footage of my local area. I regularly undertake commercial work which of course I charge for, but would welcome thoughts on pricing stock video. (I do sell stock stills)..
I understand it will be short clips to use on social media for commercial purposes...
Any thoughts appreciated 🤔

I have been approached to sell some stock footage of my local area. I regularly undertake commercial work which of course I charge for, but would welcome thoughts on pricing stock video. (I do sell stock stills)..
I understand it will be short clips to use on social media for commercial purposes...
Any thoughts appreciated 🤔
Well if it is specific footage of a specific place I don’t really know that I would consider that “stock” footage and I think you sell yourself short by using that term. When I think of stock footage I think of footage of a barn, a city street, a building on a database somewhere where the name of the artist doesn’t matter. Not a specific barn, a specific city street, or specific building and certainly not specific clips taken by a specific artist.

Your question should really be is how much to sell a video license for. Many if not most artists make their art first and then sell it later. I don’t see why this is any different just because you’ve already created the video.

How much would you charge if someone came to you and asked you to recreate these videos? That would be a good starting point for you to come up with a number.

Well if it is specific footage of a specific place I don’t really know that I would consider that “stock” footage and I think you sell yourself short by using that term. When I think of stock footage I think of footage of a barn, a city street, a building on a database somewhere where the name of the artist doesn’t matter. Not a specific barn, a specific city street, or specific building and certainly not specific clips taken by a specific artist.

Your question should really be is how much to sell a video license for. Many if not most artists make their art first and then sell it later. I don’t see why this is any different just because you’ve already created the video.

How much would you charge if someone came to you and asked you to recreate these videos? That would be a good starting point for you to come up with a number.
Thank you...I appreciate your views 👍

I have a similar dilemma. I have footage shot for a project with maybe 5 min out of 60 actually used. I have been asked by real-estate agents selling in the area for footage and photos they can use in their ads. I have no idea how to price it. (by the minute, the project, x amount for each enhanced photo?) Extra or include some color grading as I want the work to look good. How about attribution?? I hope some of our professionals will extend their advice here.

I have a similar dilemma. I have footage shot for a project with maybe 5 min out of 60 actually used. I have been asked by real-estate agents selling in the area for footage and photos they can use in their ads. I have no idea how to price it. (by the minute, the project, x amount for each enhanced photo?) Extra or include some color grading as I want the work to look good. How about attribution?? I hope some of our professionals will extend their advice here.
Here’s the best advice I can give you. You are trying to find clients not business. If you can be the go to guy for 3 or 4 real estate agents or 1 mega agent then you have it made. 90% of my business comes from 1 super mega agent and they give me so much business and exposure I really don’t need to market myself anymore.

My advice would be base pricing would be charging $200-$350 per home for both video and photos. This would be no more than 2-3 hours or work for you including color grading and photo editing. If they want you to edit together a deliverable video then that cost substantially and you never charge less than $100 per hour of time you put into it. This is all of course assuming you can deliver the goods.

Once you break into the market and establish yourself with a few agents you can slowly work that cost up and it will all depend on the asking price for the listing. Unfortunately you can’t charge as much on a $500,000 as you could on a $10 million home even though the amount of work for you really doesn’t change. That’s just the reality of it.

I wouldn’t press on attribution. If you make this complicated they will find someone else.

Last edited:
Be sure your contract stipulates that you retain and own the footage used and it is a non-exclusive contract.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu