DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sent my drone to thunderdrones

My question is what is it supposed to do.
Nobody knows. People have been hand catching Mavics and flipping them to stop them, but that's becasue someone at some point tried and found that it worked. It isn't specified behavior and certainly not documented so treat it as random and subject to change at any time with new verisons or devices.

In retrospect how do you stop the blades in an emergency when flopping around like a murder weapon? The button wouldn't work I had to pull the battery.
Firstly you try CSC. If that doesn't work check that CSC anytime is enabled, enable it if not then try again. If still not working throw a towel on it so that it blocks motors. Swap the last 2 steps if you do have a towel at hand already...
If nothing works then frigging leave it alone, but for sure don't throw your fingers into it... :rolleyes:

Update:

Thunderdrones received @MavicMistakes M2P on Friday afternoon September 28, 2018. Sent customer an email acknowledging receipt of the drone.

Dear Customer,

I just wanted to let you know that your repair has arrived and we should get to work on your estimate within the next 2 -3 business days.

We will email you as soon as we have come up with your estimate.

Thank you for your business.

Rob Schwartz
ThunderDrones
[email protected]

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Tilting the drone to kill the motors is unnecessary and increases risk of injury IMO - especially since the blades will speed up a lot when you tilt it as it tries to right itself before it realizes what is happening. Just keep holding the throttle stick down and approximately 1 second after your grab it, the motors shut down by themselves just like any other landing. Palm landings will stay safe and easy this way.

Here's an update to the OP's repair request. OP please let me know that this is ok to post, if not I will delete it asap.

Did an exterior exam of the OP's drone, and found some minor things that are cosmetic. Found others that were structural and will need to be addressed.

Cosmetic only; scuffs from rear props on the battery. Not a big deal.

2.jpg

As the OP mentioned, scuffed up cam filter, but lens is ok. Scuffed up body below obstacle avoidance eye. Cosmetic only. Gimbal motor assembly damaged on both sides.

6.jpg

On the Mavic 2, there are no more flaps that are attached above the rear arm joints, now if the arm overextends forward and up, the body gets the brunt of the impact. Structural component and might need to be replaced.

8.jpg

Small scratches on the back.

9.jpg

Gimbal motor assembly damaged on both sides of the pitch assembly and the roll motor. Will need replacement.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 18
Out of curiosity, what would a typical repair like that (gimbal replacement etc.) roughly cost?

Out of curiosity, what would a typical repair like that (gimbal replacement etc.) roughly cost?

It depends on how important cosmetics are to the owner. If it has to be "perfect," it will cost alot more than if the owner is willing to settle for some minor cosmetic issues, that dont affect the structure or airworthiness of the aircraft. Battery scratches, rear scratches, nose scratches, all cosmetic, but they would bother the heck out of an OCD owner.

Im glad the OP created this thread, because I have gotten to a point with his drone where I cant proceed any further with the repair without contacting the customer due to the preapproved budget I was allotted for the repair. In this case, I was allotted $150 and for me just to replace the gimbal motor assembly part will exceed that amount by itself. I will send the customer an email, letting him know that the repair cost will exceed his budget, and give him some options such as continuing the repair, sending it back to him as is, or offering to give him a trade-in credit towards a new M2P.

To summarize, these new Mavics are more expensive to buy than their predecessors, their parts are more expensive, and repairs in general will be more expensive. When giving me a budget to work with, I will always contact you before I continue with the repair if the estimated dollar amount of the repair exceeds the budget amount that you entered in your repair request form.

Thunderdrones preauthorized amount 2.jpg

Completely stripped down the gimbal, and the result was a torn LVDS video cable, bent gimbal yaw arm, and a 2 damaged motors on the gimbal motor assembly.

15 broken parts labeled.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun