DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sharing Huge Video Files

DanaMc

Reactions
Rookie Pilot here. Fairly savvy with the internet. My “training” videos produce very large MOV files. Up to 2 Gb. How do you share them with friends? Can’t email or text them. Way too big. Is there a way to compress them? Do you use Cloud sharing? Other file sharing web sites? Thanks for any feedback.

Well, if you REALLY want to share original, unedited files (I don't know why you would want to do that), then yeah, any sharing site with size limit high enough will do, but I would suggest short edit beforehand (simple cutting out scenes which you think are less important, no enhancing or anything), export it as lower bit rate H264 or H265 files and share them then. If you don't want to edit out anything, then you should still load the original file into the editor, export as lower bit rate than original H264 or H265 file (perhaps lower the resolution, it also helps lowering the size) and share the file then. Of course, mind the bit rate, too low and the files will come out unwatchable. You need to find balance between size and quality.

Reactions: DanaMc
Rookie Pilot here. Fairly savvy with the internet. My “training” videos produce very large MOV files. Up to 2 Gb. How do you share them with friends? Can’t email or text them. Way too big. Is there a way to compress them? Do you use Cloud sharing? Other file sharing web sites? Thanks for any feedback.
Keep in mind that a video has to be quite interesting or unique - and fairly short - to maintain a viewer's interest, and I can almost guarantee that your recipients will not share the same level of interest or excitement in your videos that you do, especially if they are unedited and difficult to watch. YouTube is probably the best way to share, as the videos can simply be streamed. No one is going to want to download gigs of videos onto their hard drive, and certainly not to a mobile device.

Use We Transfer it is free up to 2gb but you can send as many 2gb's you like.

YouTube allows viewing without downloading.

As part of your training you need to learn to edit your videos. The coolness factor will wear off quickly so unless you edit together shorter clips you will lose your audience.

Reactions: DanaMc
I agree with the above advice. Even my best edited videos, usually 3-5 minutes duration with music, rarely get viewed to the very end (YouTube and Vimeo give you this data in their "Analytics"). The YouTube generation has a very short attention span from years of "surfing" through videos and TV channels. Enjoy your new hobby!

Use handbrake free transcoder.
There are presets that make easy to convert and you will not notice the difference viewing it.

My drone friend in Poland told me this: For sending large files try using WeTransfer I’m sure there will be other options. Or upload to YouTube.

I find using Google Drive works very well. 15GB free, share links with whom ever I want. They receive link via email or text, click on link, and download the file or files your sharing.

Try Google’s Wetransfer.com it’s pretty good even if you go for the free version.

Nobody has mentioned VIMEO. They have a free version with limit of GB per month. You can easily buy up to 3 larger units. I have paid for 1st level and it is worth it to me since I only publish about once a month. I think the quality is better than You Tube, but I also publish to You Tube. Drop Box has a free entry level too.

Keep in mind that a video has to be quite interesting or unique - and fairly short - to maintain a viewer's interest, and I can almost guarantee that your recipients will not share the same level of interest or excitement in your videos that you do, especially if they are unedited and difficult to watch. YouTube is probably the best way to share, as the videos can simply be streamed. No one is going to want to download gigs of videos onto their hard drive, and certainly not to a mobile device.

This is what I do. My biggest project to date was from a week long trip to Iceland with my brother and I had close to 10,000 photos and probably a couple hours worth of video. Clipping into a viewable YouTube video that family and friends would be interested in watching involved A LOT of selecting the best shots and cutting them WAY down, but the payoff is worth it. When you edit together a reasonably short, well-produced YouTube video, you get way better reactions than by trying to show off everything. Less is more!

This is what I do. My biggest project to date was from a week long trip to Iceland with my brother and I had close to 10,000 photos and probably a couple hours worth of video. Clipping into a viewable YouTube video that family and friends would be interested in watching involved A LOT of selecting the best shots and cutting them WAY down, but the payoff is worth it. When you edit together a reasonably short, well-produced YouTube video, you get way better reactions than by trying to show off everything. Less is more!
Here is my Iceland video- 14:18 minutes. It is a combination of slides (-Nikon D750-All edited in Photoshop), timelapse videos (Nikon DSLR and tripod with ND filter) , Mavic Air videos, and edited in Premiere Pro. Of course, it is a distillation of probably 600 images per day x 7 days (6000 images), and thousands of images for the timelapses. It was virtually impossible to reduce a trip of 7 days to less than 3 minutes, which is my goal for forums such as this.

Reactions: WanderDawg
Here is my Iceland video- 14:18 minutes. It is a combination of slides (-Nikon D750-All edited in Photoshop), timelapse videos (Nikon DSLR and tripod with ND filter) , Mavic Air videos, and edited in Premiere Pro. Of course, it is a distillation of probably 600 images per day x 7 days (6000 images), and thousands of images for the timelapses. It was virtually impossible to reduce a trip of 7 days to less than 3 minutes, which is my goal for forums such as this.

That's great! Looks like you were there a month after I was and drove the same route. I have to say, that trip really made me wish I had a drone, which is part of why I ended up getting one recently! Those flyover shots you have were exactly what I found myself wishing I could do lol.

That's great! Looks like you were there a month after I was and drove the same route. I have to say, that trip really made me wish I had a drone, which is part of why I ended up getting one recently! Those flyover shots you have were exactly what I found myself wishing I could do lol.
I'm afraid to mention that some of the falls flights were in no drone areas, but the temptation was just so great. I really wanted to go farther in each case but chickened out. Dettifoss was amazing- tons of spray- drone got soaked as did I. At Skogafoss I had to fly near some crowds but I did it fast and came back as fast as I could. As I was landing someone chastised me and pointed to a no drone sign which I had failed to notice. There were some places where there were no restrictions around rural falls which was great. You Tube and Vimeo are filled with Iceland falls flights. On the Iceland trip I went with a professional photo tour guide and he did not stop me from flying. (Iceland Photo Tours).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne