DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shipping Batteries? Do you follow the rules?

Starz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I recently had the pleasure of dealing with a friendly neighborhood postal employee. I totally understand now how a few of them have had issues in the past. What I was attempting to do was send two mp1 batteries in one box to an individual in another state. Yes, by ground transportation.
Sending batteries by way of air transport is regulated very heavily and is certainly understandable with all that has gone on in the past.
Being the honest and upstanding person that I am, ( yes, I return purses and wallets when I find them)I told the person behind the counter that the box contained said batteries. He looked at me like I was the devil himself! He then turned and left, returning with the higher up. The HU proceeded to explain what his rules were regarding moving batteries around through his organization. In simple terms it boiled down to a four cell limit per box by his line of thinking and some literature that was retrieved from the back room. The HU was doing his job and was very polite in the manner he presented his information. I asked if something had changed recently since I had not encountered this in previous dealings and his response was that they follow FAA guidelines regarding Lipo batteries. Four cells total per box. No more than two batteries per box.
I have since found that his information was a bit off in total cell count per box. As with any rule cast down through a governmental authority, it depends on who you talk to. The magic number is eight cells max per box for two individual batteries without the device they power. So now I have one post office telling me four cells and another one eight cells. I’m hoping to get some form of conformation from a third postal employee that I acquired a phone number for that supposedly has the insight needed to get this answered and I’ll report back when done.
With all that went on that morning as I was trying to get out of town, I stopped at the local mom and pop shipping store and sent the box by way of fedex ground. They didn’t ask what was in the box.
If, after reading all this, you have any pertinent information, please share.

Reactions: jimlips
I have also experienced issues with uninformed employees when shipping batteries (via FedEx). The shipping carrier of your choice should have documentation online that explains how to ship them safely. If you're following those requirements, you shouldn't have to double-check anything with employees when you drop off your package.

For example, here are FedEx's lithium battery requirements:

Reactions: janvhaarlem
Reading through those rules, they keep mentioning "properly installed in the equipment they are intended to operate".

Why is this? The only thing I can think of is to keep the contacts from shorting out and the unit catching fire. But that would apply to all batteries, not just LiPo. The dangerous thing about LiPos is piercing the case and it exploding when exposed to oxygen.

I follow Bill Clinton's approach to g*y service members:
"Don't ask, don't tell."

Reading through those rules, they keep mentioning "properly installed in the equipment they are intended to operate".

Why is this? The only thing I can think of is to keep the contacts from shorting out and the unit catching fire. But that would apply to all batteries, not just LiPo. The dangerous thing about LiPos is piercing the case and it exploding when exposed to oxygen.
As opposed to "improperly installed in the equipment they are intended to operate"?

Contact shorting a LiPO pack will have a like or similar effect to puncturing the cell pouch. It is the heat generated from the high current flow that leads to the electrolyte catching fine- not oxygen finding its way in. You are likely confusing the potential risks with Lithium metal batteries.

A few different ways to ship batteries.
1. Installed in the device that they are intended to power.
2. Not installed, but shipped with the device.
3. Individual battery.(no device)
And the list of other criteria includes how to package and the appropriate labeling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redulus