DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I fly when it's this hot?

rneiman3

Reactions
I'm a Mavic Pro user & I live in Phoenix, AZ. Summer is upon us here & the daily temps starting around 8am is around 85-90 & the temps keep going up from there. For the next 3 months, the average daily temps will be anywhere from 100 to 115.

Should I even attempt to fly in this heat? Will the high temps damage either the batteries or the internal electronics?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Will the high temps damage either the batteries or the internal electronics?
No. Just make sure you don't store the electronics in your car while the A/C is not running.

And let the batteries cool down prior to charging them.

From the specifications in the Mavic Manual

"Operating Temperature ---- 32 to 104 F (0 to 40 C)

So I try to fly within those parameters.

Reactions: tswitz65
This will be the first summer for the Mavic, at least for those in the northern hemisphere. I did hear of one guys trip to Thailand that went well except for all 3D printed accessories melted. I try to fly in the mornings or just before dark but it has not been blazing hot yet. And thank God it doesn't get Phoenix hot here in the Mojave desert.

This will be the first summer for the Mavic, at least for those in the northern hemisphere. I did hear of one guys trip to Thailand that went well except for all 3D printed accessories melted. I try to fly in the mornings or just before dark but it has not been blazing hot yet. And thank God it doesn't get Phoenix hot here in the Mojave desert.

Flying in the mornings and evenings is a good idea to avoid the heat. As an added bonus, you get better lighting when the sun lower to the horizon!

I'd be more concerned about leaving a lipo in my car during day more than anything. Last summer if I had to absolutely leave charged batts in my car I put them in a small cooler with one of those reusable ice packs wrapped in a towel. It cools off the cooler just enough.

Exactly why I avoid 3D printed materials.

Just my 2 cent worth....

I have flown a lot in real hot sunshine (35C+ temp), with clear skies. At these temperatures my black body Nikon camera (that I often do time-lapse with whilst flying the mavic) gets so hot, that I cannot hold it without feeling I be burning my fingers. The mavic is not black, but not exactly light coloured either, so it gets pretty hot too (and I guess it is near or above 40C after a 10min flight at sea level).

In fact I was thinking to put a white or silver decal on the top of it, as its really hot when I land it after 20min flight. Anyone using a white, silver coloured decal on the top? does it feel cooler?

I flew in Lake Powell where outside temp was 100°F. When I landed after a brief 10 minute flight, the motors and bottom were hot to the touch, but I didn't get any error nor warning messages via the Go 4 App.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I didn't get any warnings, but with the mavic, controller and Mini 4 all were hot, so I just gave it a little cool down time. I'm going to pack a hand towel in my cooler when I go fly and after I'm done just lay it over the bird and let it pull in the cool air for a bit. Then pack it away in the case to go home.

Reactions: snipe
So let's be realistic with this situation as far as DJI is concerned. If flying in hot weather was a major issue, the Mavic would have red flags Incorporated in the software. Such as the battery. I believe there is an area in the battery section that currently displays the batteries temp. However, that is in a section where you must dig for the info and not where it displays live like it should be. As far as the battery data goes, DJI would rather be secretive with it so they can better manipulate its data.

If I lived in Phoenix, AZ I would do my flying in the shade of a mountain if that option is available. Maybe near Baseline Road?

So I live in Mesa AZ. It was 108 yesterday and I flew just fine! Of course I wrapped my bird in White.
82b67e6bbdfd622edfa7541db44a4c30.jpg
c106f086443a75e8b426497a2e5ef2bf.jpg

I don't think it gets any hotter than on any other day. Not at least from what I can tell.

I try to get my fly time in early mornings or just before sun down. I worry more about my old arse melting in this heat then I do about my bird. Triple digits tend to keep me holed up inside with the A/C crankin'.

Reactions: ceirsik
I lived in Tempe back in the early 90s. Went to electronic school there. I was there when it hit 124 deg. Driving a brown 73 Dodge charger with no A/C... My grandparents lived in Superior. I have been back a few times but I miss the scenery and the weather. An old friend of mine told me I was crazy to leave God's country... I think we was right. Sorry memories. And I love my Mavic!!

From the specifications in the Mavic Manual

"Operating Temperature ---- 32 to 104 F (0 to 40 C)

So I try to fly within those parameters.
Good luck. That's a hilariously misleading, useless figure that they provide.

Temperature of WHAT though? They never specify. Not to mention, good luck getting your Mavic back from a flight and it not being over 110F.

Just my 2 cent worth....

I have flown a lot in real hot sunshine (35C+ temp), with clear skies. At these temperatures my black body Nikon camera (that I often do time-lapse with whilst flying the mavic) gets so hot, that I cannot hold it without feeling I be burning my fingers. The mavic is not black, but not exactly light coloured either, so it gets pretty hot too (and I guess it is near or above 40C after a 10min flight at sea level).

In fact I was thinking to put a white or silver decal on the top of it, as its really hot when I land it after 20min flight. Anyone using a white, silver coloured decal on the top? does it feel cooler?

White is good, but don't use Silver. You would think that Silver would reflect heat, but it absorbs heat better than Black.

Good luck. That's a hilariously misleading, useless figure that they provide.

Temperature of WHAT though? They never specify. Not to mention, good luck getting your Mavic back from a flight and it not being over 110F.
Ambient temp, like any other electronic device in the world is specced for...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet