DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I return my new drone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 125445
  • Start date
Just like the speed limit analogy and with it you are unlikely to get pulled over going over the speed limit by 2-3 mph let alone sometimes 5-7 mph. Should you feel like a criminal when more then 90% of the people does it?

It is a guideline set to have a base for safety and ultimately the responsibility lies with the driver/pilot to be aware of their surrounding, environment, and conditions when going out of VLOS.

Guys the topic was ...
Should I return my new drone?
It has seemed to have strayed from that. Let’s try and get
back to the op on what he asked and save the debating
for a appropriate thread.
Maybe try and reread the first post and go from there.
Thanks.

Back on track we go.... Why did you purchase the drone in the first place? For me, I want to take my photography to new heights, literally. I love the new perspective. I'm too paranoid to fly out of sight anyways, too many variables could make your drone disappear forever.

Personally I get a good kick out of simply flying the drone upward. So if you bought the drone to fly miles away, then yes return it. If not, I think this forum can help, but its a personal decision that you should make.

I guess the answer is as simple as the question

if you need to fly beyond VLOS to enjoy or to get the shots you want and flying beyond VLOS stresses you out when you do it then return it. it's a lot of money to spend on something that you can't enjoy or causes you stress.

I guess the answer is as simple as the question

if you need to fly beyond VLOS to enjoy or to get the shots you want and flying beyond VLOS stresses you out when you do it then return it. it's a lot of money to spend on something that you can't enjoy or causes you stress.

True, he could always return it for a cheaper drone, although the MA2 is superior to all those within a couple hundred dollars

Flying a drone and taking pictures/video is a hobby for most of us, and also a business for a few. If it is a hobby for you and you aren't enjoying it, return the drone and find another hobby that you do enjoy.

I can tell you from experience, as I am also a noob pilot, that as you get experience, you will get less nervous flying your drone, at least I am.

True, he could always return it for a cheaper drone, although the MA2 is superior to all those within a couple hundred dollars
I wasn't suggesting an exchange. I assume he doesn't a cheaper drone that he will have same "concerns" with. Unless he wants to get into racing drones he either needs to get over his concerns or realize how much fun he can have in VLOS.

There's different types of flying, tooling around the yard at low levels and practicing using the gimbal wheel in sync along with the sticks is not a easy thing to master and if you choose a different method of flying you may very well decide to keep it. That is if the cost of the Drone isn't the deciding factor, it is a fair amount of change. I considered that myself, I'm glad I didn't.

That is definitely a good way to think about it. Thank you for your response.....

It's not a good way to think about it at all. Driving a couple of miles above the speed limit is a bit like going a few feet above the 400 ft limit. Going beyond VLOS (well beyond if I understood your original post) is not even like driving at twice the speed limit - it's more like driving with your eyes closed since you have very little situational awareness. In the US it is only permitted with a TFR in place to prevent any chance of conflicting traffic.

It's not a good way to think about it at all. Driving a couple of miles above the speed limit is a bit like going a few feet above the 400 ft limit. Going beyond VLOS (well beyond if I understood your original post) is not even like driving at twice the speed limit - it's more like driving with your eyes closed since you have very little situational awareness. In the US it is only permitted with a TFR in place to prevent any chance of conflicting traffic.

To add to this, What if you caused and a deadly accident because you wanted to fly far? Sure this is highly unlikely, however, no footage or thrill is worth another life. If there is somewhere you want to photograph or fly over, walk or drive close to that location.

lol you kidding? Remote ID matters little on regards to LOS and I actually look forward to when it comes in 3-5 years for other reasons.

With Remote ID the FAA will have your flight log for every flight. So I don’t know what you’re talking about.

With Remote ID the FAA will have your flight log for every flight. So I don’t know what you’re talking about.
So are they gonna be able to tell if I had 15 people on the ground, each with different focal length lenses, so that I never "lost sight" of my drone? Even if it was 10 miles away...

My guess is no, unless remote ID comes with satellite surveillance.

"Uhhh, yeah, my friend with a telescope had eyes on the whole time..."

Not saying it's okay to break the law

To the OP... Try getting to an elevation that is higher than your surroundings for take off. This helps with the VLOS because you can now look down (away from the whitewashed sky and sun) to find your drone. (more than likely you are already somewhat looking down for your screen.) It's just more natural, and as an added bonus, will give you better range.

Reactions: laughingboi
So are they gonna be able to tell if I had 15 people on the ground, each with different focal length lenses, so that I never "lost sight" of my drone? Even if it was 10 miles away...

My guess is no, unless remote ID comes with satellite surveillance.

"Uhhh, yeah, my friend with a telescope had eyes on the whole time..."

Not saying it's okay to break the law

To the OP... Try getting to an elevation that is higher than your surroundings for take off. This helps with the VLOS because you can now look down (away from the whitewashed sky and sun) to find your drone. (more than likely you are already somewhat looking down for your screen.) It's just more natural, and as an added bonus, will give you better range.

You should probably brush up on the regulations. VLOS requires the pilot to be able to observe the aircraft without optical aids, let alone a team of helpers.

What about spotters? Those using goggles?

The recreational exception allows a spotter co-located with the pilot, but still requires VLOS (as opposed to LOS), which is defined as not requiring visual aids.

The recreational exception allows a spotter co-located with the pilot, but still requires VLOS (as opposed to LOS), which is defined as not requiring visual aids.
Sorry for double post, but...

Aren't glasses (like prescription glasses) considered "visual aids"?

Sorry for double post, but...

Aren't glasses (like prescription glasses) considered "visual aids"?
No. Vision correction is not considered a visual aid. Of course this is all well documented you could learn it if you wanted to.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying