DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I return my new drone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 125445
  • Start date
No. Vision correction is not considered a visual aid. Of course this is all well documented you could learn it if you wanted to.
So vision correction, and visual aid are "different"... Got it.

It should be better defined.

So glass in front of my eyes (to help me see better), is different than the glass in my binoculars (to help me see better)... How?

What about multiple spotters placed throughout the flight path?

No - as I mentioned above the spotter must be co-located with the pilot:

44809 (a) (3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of
the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located
and in direct communication with the operator.

No - as I mentioned above the spotter must be co-located with the pilot:

44809 (a) (3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of
the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located
and in direct communication with the operator.
Co-located could be defined as located in the flight trajectory/path, no?

Direct communication is as easy as a cell phone.

So vision correction, and visual aid are "different"... Got it.

It should be better defined.

So glass in front of my eyes (to help me see better), is different than the glass in my binoculars (to help me see better)... How?

Because one is simply to correct defects in your vision, while the other is providing enhanced imaging by optical magnification. But you are arguing just for the sake of arguing now - yes? If not then I suggest that you write to the FAA to see if you can get them to change their policy on the basis that they never realized that telescopes and eyeglasses perform the same purpose.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Because one is simply to correct defects in your vision, while the other is providing enhanced imaging by optical magnification. But you are arguing just for the sake of arguing now - yes? If not then I suggest that you write to the FAA to see if you can get them to change their policy on the basis that they never realized that telescopes and eyeglasses perform the same purpose.
I'm not arguing to argue, sorry if it seems that way.

I'm just taken aback by this information.

I'm a very smart individual, and thought I had a good understanding. Also, it should not be on me to figure out what they mean. It should be clearly written for all to understand. Otherwise there should be an IQ test given with the FAA registration.

OK - this is getting very silly now. Co-located with the pilot means at the pilot's location.
Where is that defined?

If I have to email the FAA for that information, then the laws should be edited to alleviate any misunderstanding.

Again, not arguing to be an ***.

I enjoy debating.

Where is that defined?

If I have to email the FAA for that information, then the laws should be edited to alleviate any misunderstanding.

Again, not arguing to be an ***.

I enjoy debating.

OK - well fair enough. But if you are questioning the definition of "co-located" then all you need is a dictionary. And there may be other reasons for your misunderstanding than that the regulations are poorly written. Regulations don't generally include a comprehensive glossary of every term used - they expect some level of familiarity by the reader.

I just went out for a short flight. I wanted to see how far out I could actually 'see' the Mini. Not a cloud in the sky, bright sunshine. at approx. 75 feet up I could still see the drone out to 1200 feet away.Will be interesting doing the same in cloudy conditions and when I receive my strobe which is supposed to be today.

But they do, one is just a gazillion times stronger. They both refract light in such a way that it makes it easier for you to see something that would otherwise be a challenge.

No - one is intended to magnify an image, while the other is intended to correct an image. It's clearly defined in 14 CFR 107.31, and 49 U.S.C. §44809 doesn't provide relief from that definition.

Regulations don't generally include a comprehensive glossary of every term used - they expect some level of familiarity by the reader.

100% understood

But here's the Webster dictionary definition of "co-locate".Screenshot_20200601-091024_Chrome.jpg

As defined here, "fog signals" (read: Lighthouses (?)) Are considered "co-located" when referring to their relationship with other signaling devices (miles away) so you can navigate safely near the shore.

No need to be nearby.

I just went out for a short flight. I wanted to see how far out I could actually 'see' the Mini. Not a cloud in the sky, bright sunshine. at approx. 75 feet up I could still see the drone out to 1200 feet away.Will be interesting doing the same in cloudy conditions and when I receive my strobe which is supposed to be today.

The 107.31 definition of VLOS includes more than just being able to see it:

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.​
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:​
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;​
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;​
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and​
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.​

While for the most part, unless something bad happens, I suspect that being able to see the aircraft may be good enough, the other requirements are worth keeping in mind.

100% understood

But here's the Webster dictionary definition of "co-locate".View attachment 103227

As defined here, "fog signals" (read: Lighthouses (?)) Are considered "co-located" when referring to their relationship with other signaling devices (miles away) so you can navigate safely near the shore.

No need to be nearby.

That's not debating - that's pure sophistry and you are better than that. Co-located means at the same location.

I have the same problem, Old Man Mavic, what type/brand of strobes would you recommend for my MA2?
i have a white strobe on each front arm which help me with knowing which way the drone is flying in relation to my position firehouse seem to be very good ,as they are quite light weight

Thank you Sar. Me thinks that is all lawyer speak as if one can keep in visual contact with the drone then the 4 sub-parts are easily, at least where I' flying, followed.
I'd also think that if 107.31were strictly followed there would be very few pilots.

Thank you Sar. Me thinks that is all lawyer speak as if one can keep in visual contact with the drone then the 4 sub-parts are easily, at least where I' flying, followed.
I'd also think that if 107.31were strictly followed there would be very few pilots.

That's an interesting point, and I think that many (maybe most) recreational pilots break the VLOS rule. Part 107 I'm not so sure, at least not intentionally, since the use cases often don't require it. I've flown way beyond VLOS, but only in a TFR.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet