DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I upgrade to Air 2S from Mavic Mini?

Reactions
Currently have a Mavic Mini that I've had since it was released. Fly it all the time and love it.

Video quality, while great at first glance, has left me wanting more lately. I'm also finding myself in situation more and more where I'm in environments where wind is a little over 16mph and I just don't feel comfortable flying it.

I'm looking for something with a great increase in video quality, I dig all the photo modes. I often go out to hike to spots to do astrophotography, and like to take my drone with me to give me something to do while I hang out and wait for sunset.

I have a chunk of change from a work bonus grant and don't mind spending even more, but the more expensive drones I've looked at (mavic pro 2) don't seem to compete too well with the Air 2S. I don't want to go too too big, as sound is always a concern for me. I love the Mavic Mini because once I get up to altitude you can't hear it anymore and it doesn't bother other hikers.

Thoughts? It feels like we're getting close to the next announcement for drones.. but with nothing being formally announced, I'd like to go into the end of summer / fall with a good drone rather then waiting.

Definitely make the jump to the Air 2S..... you won't regret it. The big camera sensor, flight stability, and unbelievable range will satisfy all of your wants.

Currently have a Mavic Mini that I've had since it was released. Fly it all the time and love it.

Video quality, while great at first glance, has left me wanting more lately. I'm also finding myself in situation more and more where I'm in environments where wind is a little over 16mph and I just don't feel comfortable flying it.

I'm looking for something with a great increase in video quality, I dig all the photo modes. I often go out to hike to spots to do astrophotography, and like to take my drone with me to give me something to do while I hang out and wait for sunset.

I have a chunk of change from a work bonus grant and don't mind spending even more, but the more expensive drones I've looked at (mavic pro 2) don't seem to compete too well with the Air 2S. I don't want to go too too big, as sound is always a concern for me. I love the Mavic Mini because once I get up to altitude you can't hear it anymore and it doesn't bother other hikers.

Thoughts? It feels like we're getting close to the next announcement for drones.. but with nothing being formally announced, I'd like to go into the end of summer / fall with a good drone rather then waiting.
I actually gave my Mavic mini 1 to my nephew. I initially bought it as a trainer for myself, then gave it to him. The Air2s is a perfect replacement and upgrade from a mini1. It's decibels are the same at the mini in my opinion. It's light , compact and rugged, at least more rugged than larger drones. Easier to take on vacations too. You'll be astonished when you see the pic and video quality of the air2s.

Recently purchased the Air 2S, feeling a need to upgrade from my Mini. Only regret is I didn’t do it sooner.

Photographs and video are incredible with the 1” sensor. Mini produces good photos and video, but the Air 2S are much higher quality.

Consider you also get front and rear obstacle avoidance sensors, multiple ‘follow’ modes, auto shoot 360 panoramas, RAW photographs, and master shots - the Air 2S is more than just a ‘step up’ from the mini, it’s a whole new world.9483A587-50B2-4B12-BBC7-73777D4ED8BE.jpeg

Last edited:
yes, go for the Air2S!
for me, two big factors are (1) larger sensor and (2) major improvement in wind stability.
No question.
The Mini2 is very lonely and forgotten now.

I was going to ask the same question. I bought the Mini 2 a little over a month ago. Been flying it almost every weekend just to practice flying and getting use to the controls. I have (had) a Yuneec H+ that I bought 3 years ago but decided that it is a bit cumbersome and has a STEEP learning curve. And, a few little quirks to boot. Anyway, I sold that and thought about using the money to buy the Air 2S as sort of an upgrade. My original plan with the mini was to do international travel, which will still work. BUT, I really like the more advanced features of the Air 2S as well as having obstacle avoidance sensors for close quarters flying. And, after reading this thread I'm leaning more and more towards getting one AND have an extra couple of hundred bucks left over from the sale of my "big" drone. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

I was going to ask the same question. I bought the Mini 2 a little over a month ago. Been flying it almost every weekend just to practice flying and getting use to the controls. I have (had) a Yuneec H+ that I bought 3 years ago but decided that it is a bit cumbersome and has a STEEP learning curve. And, a few little quirks to boot. Anyway, I sold that and thought about using the money to buy the Air 2S as sort of an upgrade. My original plan with the mini was to do international travel, which will still work. BUT, I really like the more advanced features of the Air 2S as well as having obstacle avoidance sensors for close quarters flying. And, after reading this thread I'm leaning more and more towards getting one AND have an extra couple of hundred bucks left over from the sale of my "big" drone. Anyone want to talk me out of it?
DO IT!?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chorneyren