DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should my drone photography company buy general liability insurance?

Ace79

Reactions
So, I just passed my FAA 107 this past Thursday (woohoo!)

I am looking to use my Mavic Air for real estate photography just on the side. My big goal here is to minimize my overhead as much as possible because I really don't know how much money I'll make with it. I have a full time job, kids, a wife, a house, etc to keep me busy. So, if I make $1000 bucks extra a year I'll honestly be okay with it.

I am going to form an LLC because it seems like the smart thing to do, but where I am not sure is if I should buy general liability insurance for my company. Basically, an LLC will not protect you personally from injuries if they are caused by negligence. I'm worried if somehow my drone goes crazy on me and smashes through a window or into someone, are they going to get lawyers that can "prove" negligence. I don't want to lose my house!

I guess my question is, it is my understanding that the drone keeps logs of what is happening during operation. If it were to truly lose linking and it was not my fault, is this something I can prove with this?

Check out Verifly - it's an on-demand online service, where you can buy a million dollars worth of liability insurance for a low fee (about $25) that provides coverage for an hour or so of flight time. The policy is based on the specific flight parameters: location, time of day, and weather conditions. It's all done through an app on your smart device.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Verifly only provides liability, not hull insurance. I'd investigate getting full coverage insurance in case you're shooting a real estate gig, and your drone gets damaged. Otherwise, you are on your own to replace your drone unless you have DJI Care.

Here in Maryland, I've been quoted mid-700 dollars per year for liability and hull from three different insurance agents. I've seen forum posts that say State Farm (who I have) covers drones, but my State Farm guy told me no. It could just be a Maryland thing.

It's a great idea to incorporate as an LLC, and look at the different insurance options that may also cover your drone and equipment.

Good luck!

So, I just passed my FAA 107 this past Thursday (woohoo!)

I am looking to use my Mavic Air for real estate photography just on the side. My big goal here is to minimize my overhead as much as possible because I really don't know how much money I'll make with it. I have a full time job, kids, a wife, a house, etc to keep me busy. So, if I make $1000 bucks extra a year I'll honestly be okay with it.

I am going to form an LLC because it seems like the smart thing to do, but where I am not sure is if I should buy general liability insurance for my company. Basically, an LLC will not protect you personally from injuries if they are caused by negligence. I'm worried if somehow my drone goes crazy on me and smashes through a window or into someone, are they going to get lawyers that can "prove" negligence. I don't want to lose my house!

I guess my question is, it is my understanding that the drone keeps logs of what is happening during operation. If it were to truly lose linking and it was not my fault, is this something I can prove with this?
If you are going to do any work where you will be near anyone else's property or person that could be damaged or harmed by your drone flight, then yes, you should get liability insurance.

You can check out Verifly as noted above.

Also, AMA offers commercial drone insurance. It's typically around $900 for the year.

The way it works is;
If you buy insurance, you'll probably NEVER need to use it.
If you DONT buy it, you will probably find out you should have had it.
Play it safe, buy the insurance. That would be my recommendation.

If your equipment is involved in an accident, regardless of the reason why, you're responsible or at fault.

Yes to both LLC and Insurance, without a doubt. Most companies I shoot for will not hire you unless you are insured, some require 1 mil minimum.
Same.... plus it's more professional.

Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000