DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should SARS teams Use more UAV's?

Ikopta

Reactions
Hey, had a great Q on #mail about man from down under using UAV tech for search & Rescue.
Looking to see what the rest of the world is up to. Found some embrace, some ground and others keep their head in the sand. Whats your experience?

It really depends on the Rules & Regulations where you are located. Most of the world is embracing this technology because it can save time, money, and LIVES. What's key to note is that UAS are just another tool in the bag for Search & Rescue, EMS, Law Enforcement, and Public Safety. We, as responsible UAS operators want to help and in the right circumstances DO help but it needs to be part of a structured and controlled mission and not Self Deploy.

Also keep in mind that in the US of America any type of SAR, Public Safety etc flights require a Part 107 unless you're flying under a Public Use COA or something similar. Search & Rescue is in no way a Hobby/Recreational/Part 101 operation.

I’m currently navigating the rules in regs for drone use for my SAR team in Washington state. It really is a PITA. Great technology, but lots of small regulations to wade through. Liability is the biggest hurdle for volunteer SAR, does the state take on liability since they activated you, or does the SAR team assume their own? Other regulatory issues include: COA vs part 107, VLOS vs BLOS flying, and various county legislation if operating outside of home county.

BLUF, they have awesome capability if you have a team willing to wade through the minutiae to do it right

@PsiFox I have gone down this road and actually teach this to LEO/EMS/FD on a national level here in the southeastern US (NC, SC, Tn, Va).

Are you trying to figure this out on your own or as an agency? There are some great resources available if you ask the right people but PLEASE keep in mind.. there is a lot of bad information on the internet so be sure to know your sources.

@PsiFox I have gone down this road and actually teach this to LEO/EMS/FD on a national level here in the southeastern US (NC, SC, Tn, Va).

Are you trying to figure this out on your own or as an agency? There are some great resources available if you ask the right people but PLEASE keep in mind.. there is a lot of bad information on the internet so be sure to know your sources.

I’m setting it up for my agency, I have some help from groups around me so not totally flying solo! Any and all information is welcome though if you have it

Reactions: BigAl07
I’m setting it up for my agency, I have some help from groups around me so not totally flying solo! Any and all information is welcome though if you have it
If you need any help or resources feel free to drop me a note.

Allen

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54