DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal booster?

SXB1

Reactions
Although I've not had any problem with my mavics signal, besides the early controller connection-still not sure what it was, I was just wondering if these relatively cheap reflective dome like things you put on standard antennas make a difference?
Now don't get me wrong, I won't be flying the distances alot if you guys go to, I maybe just want a little bit extra signal, without going to the whole battery powered antenna setups some of you have.
Or are the standard antennas sufficient for just a hobbyist?

Thanks in advance.

all they do is bounce the signal that comes from the antennas towards the drone ,normally the signal comes out of the antennas in all directions ,and is called unidirectional, but with the reflector fitted it becomes omnidirectional ,it does increase range somewhat but at the same time it makes the signal much narrower ,so it is very important to have a clear line of site between the controller and the drone, and you have to make sure the antennas are facing the drone at all times really if you are not going to be flying out of line of sight which is not really a good idea, then the standard antennas are more than adequate

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
all they do is bounce the signal that comes from the antennas towards the drone ,normally the signal comes out of the antennas in all directions ,and is called unidirectional, but with the reflector fitted it becomes omnidirectional ,it does increase range somewhat but at the same time it makes the signal much narrower ,so it is very important to have a clear line of site between the controller and the drone, and you have to make sure the antennas are facing the drone at all times really if you are not going to be flying out of line of sight which is not really a good idea, then the standard antennas are more than adequate
I'll mostly be flying in open areas anyway, maybe under the odd viaduct bridge nearby, so pretty much will be in line of site.

I'll mostly be flying in open areas anyway, maybe under the odd viaduct bridge nearby, so pretty much will be in line of site.
be careful if you are flying under structures, because you can get loss of GPS and depending on the material the structure is made of compass interference as well

Reactions: Thomas B and SXB1
Although I've not had any problem with my mavics signal, besides the early controller connection-still not sure what it was, I was just wondering if these relatively cheap reflective dome like things you put on standard antennas make a difference?
Now don't get me wrong, I won't be flying the distances alot if you guys go to, I maybe just want a little bit extra signal, without going to the whole battery powered antenna setups some of you have.
Or are the standard antennas sufficient for just a hobbyist?

Thanks in advance.
I bought the antenna reflectors early on because I fly with a lot of attenuation from 120 ft trees (I live in a forest next to a national lakeshore). @old man mavic is correct in narrowing the beam. However, in my situation with the trees, I did not find them to work with any substantive signal boost. Now maybe in a direct line of sight they may show improvement, but I gave up on them and did the JKSON5 mod to improve my tree problem.

I bought the antenna reflectors early on because I fly with a lot of attenuation from 120 ft trees (I live in a forest next to a national lakeshore). @old man mavic is correct in narrowing the beam. However, in my situation with the trees, I did not find them to work with any substantive signal boost. Now maybe in a direct line of sight they may show improvement, but I gave up on them and did the JKSON5 mod to improve my tree problem.
What's the JKSON5 mod?

What's the JKSON5 mod?
JKSON5 is a modification of the AC firmware to boost the signal. Here is the link.
For forcing Mavic Pro or P4Pv2 SDR settings such as FCC, Boost, force_2.3G or force_2.5G

There are more extensive modifications that can be done, which includes the JKSON5 mod.
Super-Patcher GitHub
A custom flight controller and flasher for unlocking height limits, NFZ limits, Galileo Satellites reception, and extended parameter ranges. Supports various DJI aircraft running stock versions of newer firmware versions

First, take a look at these modifications and study them to understand their impacts. They inherently remove certain restrictions currently on DJI drones. If you choose to do these modifications, it is up to you to fly responsibly and adhere to all applicable regulations to protect our airspace, the public and not jeopardize our hobby.

JKSON5 is a modification of the AC firmware to boost the signal. Here is the link.
For forcing Mavic Pro or P4Pv2 SDR settings such as FCC, Boost, force_2.3G or force_2.5G

There are more extensive modifications that can be done, which includes the JKSON5 mod.
Super-Patcher GitHub
A custom flight controller and flasher for unlocking height limits, NFZ limits, Galileo Satellites reception, and extended parameter ranges. Supports various DJI aircraft running stock versions of newer firmware versions

First, take a look at these modifications and study them to understand their impacts. They inherently remove certain restrictions currently on DJI drones. If you choose to do these modifications, it is up to you to fly responsibly and adhere to all applicable regulations to protect our airspace, the public and not jeopardize our hobby.
I think that's abit more complex than I feel comfortable in attempting myself!

Are there any other "bolt on" type upgrades that can be done instead of going I to the program side of things?

while i have no problem with anyone who chooses to change the parameters that the fly their drone under, just remember that if the authorities discovered for what ever reason that you were not complying with the radio transmitter parameters of your county then you could be open to prosecution, this is why different countries have different standards

Actually the first post is backwards. The antennas are OMNI dipoles, that become somewhat UNI when focused with the parabolic reflectors. Not a big boost but absolutely reduces dropouts in the normal range areas. In all cases they are designed to have an unobstructed path from the side of the antenna toward the drone. Normally 45 degrees to the controller works best.

Actually the first post is backwards. The antennas are OMNI dipoles, that become somewhat UNI when focused with the parabolic reflectors. Not a big boost but absolutely reduces dropouts in the normal range areas. In all cases they are designed to have an unobstructed path from the side of the antenna toward the drone. Normally 45 degrees to the controller works best.
you will have to excuse my mistake old age i guess

Reactions: Greg Webb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart