DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal on mini 3 seems awful. I am getting worried.

Pretty much. I was looking at the screen in front of me while stood in the garden, so the antenna were naturally facing up anyway. The drone was right above me and visible. When I got the warnings, I tried to point it directly at the drone, but it didn't seem to improve the signal and then it started to return. Cancelled return to home and it seemed to pick up again for a while. The first drop out happened when I tried to lift it from about 59m upwards. When it reached 77m it said 'RC signal interference', at 84m 'weak signal. adjust antenna' and then started to drop. Never lost connection at this point, although it dropped height without any stick input. I must have cancelled RTH when it stopped dropping at about 53m (no messages about this on the flight recording). Then got it up to 120m, took some images, did a panorama, brought it down to 111m, then got another 'RC signal Interference' warning. 10 seconds later, 'Weak signal. Adjust antenna' followed by 'RC signal lost'. It then told me I was in an Altitude Zone (150m here), presumably as it reconnected, with 'RC signal interference'. Cancelled RTH at 104m and then brought it back down.

It had 21 satellites at the first event, rising to 26 for the second.
So many different accounts of interference with the Mini 3 Pro I don't know where I stand now. That's a worry that close for new 03 transmission system. Be interesting to see how you go in a rural area on high ground with no trees, seems the Mini 3 Pro doesn't need much to drop the single sadly. I really want to buy one but hoping to see some fix for this as noise around the interference from the community is massive, has to be something behind it...

I want this drone, but not without RC Pro support. The lack of support is allowing me to stand pat and see how all these “issues” unfold. It feels good.

Reactions: DanJ
I want this drone, but not without RC Pro support. The lack of support is allowing me to stand pat and see how all these “issues” unfold. It feels good.
How the Mavic 3 launch was handled has also probably made flyers a lot more weary, luckily I have managed to stall on both so far but closer to pushing the button on the Mini 3 Pro more so than the Mavic 3.

Reactions: thispilothere
How the Mavic 3 launch was handled has also probably made flyers a lot more weary, luckily I have managed to stall on both so far but closer to pushing the button on the Mini 3 Pro more so than the Mavic 3.
As for somebody that is new to the drone world what happen with the mavic 3 ? also is it fixed now?

It scares me spending so much money on my first drone and its kinda a dud

It is susceptible to interference but from my testing after initially getting signal dropouts flying around my residential area, as long as the path between the controller and craft is unobstructed the signal is very strong with no problems at all.

The short answer for the vast majority of operators is “no”.

The longer answer is that under the instrument there has been two categories of EVLOS (Extended Visual Line of sight) operations defined and then BVLOS (Beyond Visual Line of Site).

To engage in any of these you must hold an RePL (Remote Pilots Licence) and be operating under the auspices of a ReOC (remote operators certificate) held by either an individual or organisation who’s operations manuals contain procedures including threat and error management and risk mitigation along with procedures to actually conduct these flights that have been reviewed and approved by C.A.S.A.

Even assuming that all the above is in place for one of the categories of EVLOS and for BVLOS the RePL in question must have hold an IREX instrument rating exactly the same as that needed by a manned aerial pilot.

There is some talk of this system being streamlined over the next few years but don’t hold your breath.

So, all of that taken into account … while it is possible with great planning, all you ducks in a row and all your i’s dotted and t’s crossed to conduct EVLOS and BVLOS operations in Australia the expense, time and difficulty required in setting these operations up make the likelihood of it being done for a simple range test remote in the extreme.

For perspective, I contract as an RePL for a number of companies some of who’s manuals include procedures for these flights, have conducted sanctioned EVLOS flights and am in the process of obtaining my IREX so as to be able to conduct BVLOS if required.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Regards

Ari
Thanks for the reply, I don't want, or need to fly out of LOS, but new drone and all the concerns about connection issues I would like to see what it's capable of.
I know someone who owns a huge property, surely with his permission I could conduct a range test on his private property at low altitude.?

Thanks for the reply, I don't want, or need to fly out of LOS, but new drone and all the concerns about connection issues I would like to see what it's capable of.
I know someone who owns a huge property, surely with his permission I could conduct a range test on his private property at low altitude.?
Legally I’m afraid you can’t. Your friend owns the property. Once you are 1cm off the ground you are in airspace which is under CASA jurisdiction and they say you can’t fly beyond VLOS. There are a few dispensations given to land owners flying non commercially over their own land but that is not one of them.

I understand your frustration and I’ll grant you that there are victimless crimes and where the chances of property damage or personal injury are zero it probably seems that this would be one of them but the regulator does not allow for using your own judgment and assumes that the average individual has none.

In the end what you do is between you, your conscience and CASA. I wouldn’t be doing it but I have thousands of dollars that went into my certification at risk.

There was a time I might have, but there wasn’t many laws governing drones back then.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Jorgeo65
As for somebody that is new to the drone world what happen with the mavic 3 ? also is it fixed now?

It scares me spending so much money on my first drone and its kinda a dud
Hi there and welcome to the world of drones :) It's incredibly addictive with lots to learn but with lots of rewards.

So the biggest issue with the Mavic 3 was (and for many still is) the time it takes to get a GPS lock. Some have advised it can take over 5 mins to get a lock while other are now getting locks in 30 seconds. Something was wrong with some of the drones and there is a really mixed group of happy and not happy fliers in that group.

The other issues were given the time it took to come out (since the Mavic 2 pro) it felt rushed. Many of it's features weren't available for 2-3 months since launch but a lot are now. The standard controller it came with was just the bog standard controller you get with the Mini 2 you could order a very expensive RC Pro and there were even issues with those initially disconnecting. Unlike the Mini 3 Pro it didn't have a really cool and affordable Screen Remote so many thought for a Flagship drone that was a big omission. The Mavic 3 came with a Telephoto lens which was only a half inch sensor and touted as an "explorer" or "scouting" lens. The quality initially was really average but it gave everybody a real taste of some pretty cool perspectives you could capture with it for video and stills but you couldn't really use the results professionally. It has gotten better but you have to work hard to get it right and it still doesn't have RAW support or manual exposure controls. So basically it waved a carrot in front of a whole bunch of users that paid a lot of money for the drone but didn't quite deliver. Rumours are the next version of the Mavic 3 is already on the way with a 1" Sensor on the Tele and 4/3" Main Camera. I do worry if that happens it will still fall short unless they implement the design of the Mini 3 Pro and give you that upward pointing camera to cover 180 vertical degrees which provides a whole new perspective for video and stills plus allows for the first time (exception of the Mavic 1 and Parrot Anafi from memory) the user to make 360 x 180 panos without manually having to fill in the hole at the top which could be pretty tricky if you were somewhere that had the surroundings higher than say 30 degrees above you e.g a canyon. The previous Mavic 2 Pro had built in Waypoints which the Mavic 3 doesn't. That may come but many thought it should have had it being an expensive upgrade from the Mavic 2.

But the Mavic 3 is also awesome, has solid wind performance, great battery life, the biggest prosumer sensor available, 360 degree obstacle avoidance (though looking at the Mini 3 Pro results it's active track in trace mode may be even better than the Mavic 3!) there's other positives and I'm sure others will add those.

From what I have seen though for a beginner the Mini 3 Pro is an awesome drone. Just make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer that will have your back and support you if you have any issues.

Good luck! :)

Hi there and welcome to the world of drones :) It's incredibly addictive with lots to learn but with lots of rewards.

So the biggest issue with the Mavic 3 was (and for many still is) the time it takes to get a GPS lock. Some have advised it can take over 5 mins to get a lock while other are now getting locks in 30 seconds. Something was wrong with some of the drones and there is a really mixed group of happy and not happy fliers in that group.

The other issues were given the time it took to come out (since the Mavic 2 pro) it felt rushed. Many of it's features weren't available for 2-3 months since launch but a lot are now. The standard controller it came with was just the bog standard controller you get with the Mini 2 you could order a very expensive RC Pro and there were even issues with those initially disconnecting. Unlike the Mini 3 Pro it didn't have a really cool and affordable Screen Remote so many thought for a Flagship drone that was a big omission. The Mavic 3 came with a Telephoto lens which was only a half inch sensor and touted as an "explorer" or "scouting" lens. The quality initially was really average but it gave everybody a real taste of some pretty cool perspectives you could capture with it for video and stills but you couldn't really use the results professionally. It has gotten better but you have to work hard to get it right and it still doesn't have RAW support or manual exposure controls. So basically it waved a carrot in front of a whole bunch of users that paid a lot of money for the drone but didn't quite deliver. Rumours are the next version of the Mavic 3 is already on the way with a 1" Sensor on the Tele and 4/3" Main Camera. I do worry if that happens it will still fall short unless they implement the design of the Mini 3 Pro and give you that upward pointing camera to cover 180 vertical degrees which provides a whole new perspective for video and stills plus allows for the first time (exception of the Mavic 1 and Parrot Anafi from memory) the user to make 360 x 180 panos without manually having to fill in the hole at the top which could be pretty tricky if you were somewhere that had the surroundings higher than say 30 degrees above you e.g a canyon. The previous Mavic 2 Pro had built in Waypoints which the Mavic 3 doesn't. That may come but many thought it should have had it being an expensive upgrade from the Mavic 2.

But the Mavic 3 is also awesome, has solid wind performance, great battery life, the biggest prosumer sensor available, 360 degree obstacle avoidance (though looking at the Mini 3 Pro results it's active track in trace mode may be even better than the Mavic 3!) there's other positives and I'm sure others will add those.

From what I have seen though for a beginner the Mini 3 Pro is an awesome drone. Just make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer that will have your back and support you if you have any issues.

Good luck! :)
Thank you for all the detailed info. It seems I am gonna sit on the side for this one and maybe wait for the mini 3 standard just to see how it compares and also see if the mini 3 pro gets it bugs ironed out.

I really don't want my first drone to be a DUD but like you said having a dealer that will take it back seems the right way to go if I am not happy with it.

The remote screen that comes with the mini 3 pro is why I want it. as a farmer you spend some time on your phone with calls and have a decent rugged phone and the screen is small.

But lets hope the mini 3 pro range problem gets ironed out

Thanks again for the info

Reactions: Bussty
Thank you for all the detailed info. It seems I am gonna sit on the side for this one and maybe wait for the mini 3 standard just to see how it compares and also see if the mini 3 pro gets it bugs ironed out.

I really don't want my first drone to be a DUD but like you said having a dealer that will take it back seems the right way to go if I am not happy with it.

The remote screen that comes with the mini 3 pro is why I want it. as a farmer you spend some time on your phone with calls and have a decent rugged phone and the screen is small.

But lets hope the mini 3 pro range problem gets ironed out

Thanks again for the info
You are most welcome , I see you are in OZ so according to DJI that makes you FCC which means a stronger transmission signal, so if in the country you should be good with no interference. I'm in NZ so we are CE unfortunately :-(

6. Data is tested under FCC standards in unobstructed environments of typical interference. Only to serve as a reference and provides no guarantee as to the actual flight distance.
Max one-way communication distance of DJI Mini 3 Pro in countries/regions of different standards:
FCC: United States, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Chile, Colombia, Puerto Rico, and other regions. Max transmission range: 12 km
SRRC: Mainland China. Max transmission range: 8 km
CE: UK, Russia, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Macau, New Zealand, UAE, and other regions. Max transmission range: 8 km
MIC: Japan. Max transmission distance: 8 km

Reactions: DTBA
So many different accounts of interference with the Mini 3 Pro I don't know where I stand now. That's a worry that close for new 03 transmission system. Be interesting to see how you go in a rural area on high ground with no trees, seems the Mini 3 Pro doesn't need much to drop the single sadly. I really want to buy one but hoping to see some fix for this as noise around the interference from the community is massive, has to be something behind it...

Thanks for the reply.

Thing is, I'm in London, UK, which is where I fly and it's very built up, with lots of potential interference and obstructions. Which is why I have a drone under 250g. It's pretty much the very reason for a sub 250g drone to exist in the UK, giving the ability to fly in 'congested areas'. Otherwise, if I was flying around fields in the countryside, I'd have bought a larger drone with a bigger sensor a long time ago. I think I've only had one signal problem on the mini 2 in a year and a half, when I flew it out towards an jetty in the Thames which probably had some sort of communication equipment on it to warn boats it was there. I don't have any desire to fly it a distance, just the confidence to be able to keep in contact with it and see what it is seeing. It's hard enough to see at 120m directly overhead, if you lose it's position in the sky. Don't have enough confidence in the Mini 3 Pro atm to consider taking the mini 2 out of my photo bag.

I'm guessing a firmware update could improve it. Otherwise, there doesn't seem like much point in upgrading in my situation.

So I'm guessing you can return your Mini 3 Pro on basis it's affected by interference massively?

I really think in a situation like yours where you are consistently going to be amongst 10 Million potential Wifi/ Bluetooth users it may not be the drone for you. It's just hard to know if firmware is going to be able to improve this. The camera seems to be really nice so is a step up from the Mini 2 plus the drone has some cool features, so frustrating about the interference. Maybe the Air 3 is your next drone? Would be nice to see some some direction in this from DJI as it sounds like many are tossing up whether to buy or not buy because of the range issue and that doesn't normally happen with DJI drones. Good luck in what you decide...

The comparison is like upgrading from the Mavic to the Mavic 2 with the previous features included.
DJI has done good with designing the drone but when it came to designing the controller I think they gave the job to the janitor by closeting away the antenna.
IF you need signal you need a freekin' aerial not some stubby mobile phone clone hidden under layers of plastic.
They must've been thinking of portability but I would be more than happy with less for more

So far only had a chance to get a few flights in.

Range is definitely more dependent on controller angle and surroundings than for the mini 2. I think that the range is on par with the mini 2 IF and only if you have 100% clear line of sight and the controller pointed directly at the drone.

Seems that its a lot less tolerant of controller pointing slightly off target or trees in the way etc.

I wonder if its related to bandwidth and trying to push 1080 down a 0.4w signal, maybe DJI could (if they wanted to) drop the screen resolution in the case of bad signal link so keeping connection.

Definitely had more auto RTH kick in over the last 3 days than in a year of the mini 2 - no exaggeration.

Reactions: Bussty and SpinItUp
The comparison is like upgrading from the Mavic to the Mavic 2 with the previous features included.
DJI has done good with designing the drone but when it came to designing the controller I think they gave the job to the janitor by closeting away the antenna.
IF you need signal you need a freekin' aerial not some stubby mobile phone clone hidden under layers of plastic.
They must've been thinking of portability but I would be more than happy with less for more
Why does DJI do this? They get so close but just mess up on one key thing and must miss out on massive sales volume...

So far only had a chance to get a few flights in.

Range is definitely more dependent on controller angle and surroundings than for the mini 2. I think that the range is on par with the mini 2 IF and only if you have 100% clear line of sight and the controller pointed directly at the drone.

Seems that its a lot less tolerant of controller pointing slightly off target or trees in the way etc.

I wonder if its related to bandwidth and trying to push 1080 down a 0.4w signal, maybe DJI could (if they wanted to) drop the screen resolution in the case of bad signal link so keeping connection.

Definitely had more auto RTH kick in over the last 3 days than in a year of the mini 2 - no exaggeration.
That's a good point like switching to 480p on Youtube if the 1080 is spluttering along. That sounds like something they might be able to fix in Firmware! Quick get on the phone to DJI ha ha

So I'm guessing you can return your Mini 3 Pro on basis it's affected by interference massively?

I really think in a situation like yours where you are consistently going to be amongst 10 Million potential Wifi/ Bluetooth users it may not be the drone for you. It's just hard to know if firmware is going to be able to improve this. The camera seems to be really nice so is a step up from the Mini 2 plus the drone has some cool features, so frustrating about the interference. Maybe the Air 3 is your next drone? Would be nice to see some some direction in this from DJI as it sounds like many are tossing up whether to buy or not buy because of the range issue and that doesn't normally happen with DJI drones. Good luck in what you decide...

Cheers. I think an Air 3 would cause me too many problems to bother about, with the CAA restrictions. Not sure about my situation with returns, as bought from a third party seller and it's now been used. I'll probably do some more flight tests and see if firmware improvements come, if needed, and if not, consider reselling. I did fly it a few days earlier, with no problems and I haven't tried it with the controller I have from the mini 2 yet. Early days.

Cheers. I think an Air 3 would cause me too many problems to bother about, with the CAA restrictions. Not sure about my situation with returns, as bought from a third party seller and it's now been used. I'll probably do some more flight tests and see if firmware improvements come, if needed, and if not, consider reselling. I did fly it a few days earlier, with no problems and I haven't tried it with the controller I have from the mini 2 yet. Early days.
Indeed! Post above yours talks about DJI potentially dropping the high res feed to improve transmission. Seems like a smart option that MAY be able to be implemented via firmware?? Maybe some hope

I have so far experienced good range with mine. I was also concerned but I flew out 800m in an area with alot of trees between me and the drone and still had full bars of signal and no drop outs.

I have so far experienced good range with mine. I was also concerned but I flew out 800m in an area with alot of trees between me and the drone and still had full bars of signal and no drop outs.
residential areas with wifi, satellite dishes and whatever else thrown in seem to be a massive issue...I had this with the mini2 but nowhere near as critical as losing full control like with this mini3p

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc