DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Silencing the buzzer inside the Controller

The controller feedback is not the issue. It is the uncontrollable excessive volume below 15% battery, which is designed to alert anyone within 100 yards of the location of the pilot, while annoying everyone, including the pilot, who is also deliberately distracted from the primary taskof landing safely!
Likely related to product liability concerns of DJI.... a simple warning on screen and ability to silence the beeping would seem fine to me.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Likely related to product liability concerns of DJI.... a simple warning on screen and ability to silence the beeping would seem fine to me.
Indeed, plus aiding LEO's in locating the pilot!
The drilling method worked perfectly for me! One muffled RC and both an M2P and M2PZ that share the same controller and iPad!

New teardown of Mavic Mini RC shows speaker location.
I hope someone else is better at determining where this is from the outside for drilling.
4636960F-31C1-4230-84BC-09C6B7F200F4.jpeg

I just unsoldered the mini rc speaker. Problem solved. Going to do it to my M2P as well.

I just unsoldered the mini rc speaker. Problem solved. Going to do it to my M2P as well.
While that definitely silences it, the preferred method is to muffle it, with pressure applied to the vibrating speaker membrane, so that you can still barely hear it, but only you can hear it, instead of everyone within 500 feet!

My preferred method was complete silence. Very easy to accomplish. 10 minutes and done.

My preferred method was complete silence. Very easy to accomplish. 10 minutes and done.
De gustibus non est disputandum! ;)
Personally, I like hearing the video file segment recording confirmations, and other helpful sounds.

To each their own. Most sounds are in-app sounds as you described. Without the speaker you still get shutter/recording sound, low battery warning in app on your device. You just don't get those awful high pitched tones blaring from your remote controller. Just throwing out another option for those interested. Two solder points and I can always remount it in the future if I ever wish with little work and no damage. ✌?

Hello, I am planning to open my Mavic Mini controller soon to install Alientech antenna, and I am planning to completely silence my controller forever while it's open. I understand that the speaker is has shown on this picture. What is the best way to break it without damaging the controller? I am not equipped to melt solder.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.44.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.44.23 AM.png
    795.8 KB · Views: 28
Hello, I am planning to open my Mavic Mini controller soon to install Alientech antenna, and I am planning to completely silence my controller forever while it's open. I understand that the speaker is has shown on this picture. What is the best way to break it without damaging the controller? I am not equipped to melt solder.
Just stuff something inside that applies direct pressure against the silver vibrating surface, physically preventing it from vibrating. That's how we silence it on the Mavic 2 controller.

Reactions: TreeHugger
Just stuff something inside that applies direct pressure against the silver vibrating surface, physically preventing it from vibrating. That's how we silence it on the Mavic 2 controller.
Thanks for that picture way back - this is the next thing I'm doing before I fly again! (Mavic 2 controller)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Update for the RC-N1 controller used on the MA2, Mini 2 and now the Mavic 3.
Location to drill the hole depicted in the photo below the video. Middle of the line of 4 green LED's and 10 mm below it. Shiny metal visible inside on the top of the speaker needs pressure applied to it, to either muffle or silence it. I used a Q tip, stick shaved to a point, and cut it off just above the plastic surface, covered with two layers of gaffers tape to create the right amount of tension. Press hard to completely silence it. Mild pressure from the tape keeps it at a reasonable volume.

Thanks to Zolly for finding it! He took it to another level. I kept it simple, so the case didn't need to be cracked open.

A2D69C1B-833B-426D-8C0D-C0A7AA37014C.jpeg

Last edited:
Now if anyone knows where that little bugger of a speaker is inside the new RC Pro, please share!

Last edited:
I know I'm late to the party but I ended up opening the controller (RC231) and fill the buzzer with hot glue. I applied pressure with the nozzle on the buzzer to get as much glue in there as possible. Put an 1/8" layer on top and put it all back together. I barely hear it now which is exactly what I wanted. Sure, it's possible to de-solder it too but not an option I personally was interested in.

I know I'm late to the party but I ended up opening the controller (RC231) and fill the buzzer with hot glue. I applied pressure with the nozzle on the buzzer to get as much glue in there as possible. Put an 1/8" layer on top and put it all back together. I barely hear it now which is exactly what I wanted. Sure, it's possible to de-solder it too but not an option I personally was interested in.
Didn't like the drilling the hole solution in Post #112 above? It gives permanent external access to the shrill speaker membrane, so you can control the volume with variable pressure at any time, rather than gumming it up with glue, after opening up the controller, for an unreliable permanent volume change, and possibly breaking the plastic clips used to seal the controller.

Didn't like the drilling the hole solution in Post #112 above? It gives permanent external access to the shrill speaker membrane, so you can control the volume with variable pressure at any time, rather than gumming it up with glue, after opening up the controller, for an unreliable permanent volume change, and possibly breaking the plastic clips used to seal the controller.
I didn't like the option. Just a personal opinion. Opening up the control wasn't a problem for me and 'gumming' up buzzers has always worked great for me on other applications too. I wanted to keep my controller looking the way it is without having a random screw. Everybody has a different preference, mine is the hot glue option.

I didn't like the option. Just a personal opinion. Opening up the control wasn't a problem for me and 'gumming' up buzzers has always worked great for me on other applications too. I wanted to keep my controller looking the way it is without having a random screw. Everybody has a different preference, mine is the hot glue option.
What if the resulting volume still wasn't to your liking when you were done?
How would you have unmuffled it or amplified it, after using hot glue to muffle it? I didn't use a screw. Just a cut off removable Q tip stub with tape over it, allowing for unlimited volume control adjustment with mere finger pressure. Just a tiny hole drilled in the case and no risk of breaking the case during opening or reassembly. Each to their own, but if you know exactly where to drill, why not let it become a volume control?

BTW, on the RC, RC2, and RC Pro, no more need to physically silence the buzzer! Just turn the volume down to zero, and select the option to silence all sounds for the remainder of the flight flight! No more heart attack beeping when landing below 15% battery!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird