DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SIM card needed for my tablet to work properly with my RC?

Harold Morgan

Reactions
I have a Samsung tablet and have been trying to make it work instead of my phone. DJI 4 and Mavic Air. Navigation doesn't seem to be working properly on-screen. I thought I read somewhere that some functions require I have a working SIM card. I de-provisioned my SIM a couple months ago since I didn't think I needed to spend the extra $10 a month when I always used the tablet with my WIFI. Anyone knows if a SIM is needed for anything?

I use an iPad without a sim all the time. Question is do you have a GPS module on the tablet? The iPad does and my phone of course does when I use it. If the tablet does not have native GPS then it would not know where it is at any particular time.

Reactions: Dan C
I use an iPad without a sim all the time. Question is do you have a GPS module on the tablet? The iPad does and my phone of course does when I use it. If the tablet does not have native GPS then it would not know where it is at any particular time.

Is correct, you do not need an active data plan, but you do need a device with GPS. Also, you could make your phone a hotspot and tether that way.

What type of tablet are you running?

I checked the tablet and under location services I have 3 choices (1) GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks (2) Wi-Fi and mobile networks and (3) GPS onlu. Option (1) is currently checked. Good suggestion though. At least now I know it's not the lack of a SIM.

I checked the tablet and under location services I have 3 choices (1) GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks (2) Wi-Fi and mobile networks and (3) GPS onlu. Option (1) is currently checked. Good suggestion though. At least now I know it's not the lack of a SIM.
I would try it on 3 if you don't have sim currently in use.

You do not need GPS on a mobile device for Go to work. It does help in that it will show your location on the map before you get a chance to connect your AC, but not required. It is required only if you want to use Follow Me mode (not to be confused with Active Track) or you want to update your home point to where your RC is rather than where the AC is.

Mobile devices can act strange without a SIM card installed as opposed to a SIM card installed without active service.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5e and haven't had any problems. The map view shows me where I'm at and where the Mavic is at on the map. On the main screen of the Go app one of the menus allowed me to download offline maps of the areas I fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon