DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Single LAANC source?

Is their somewhere a single source of guidance to enter the LAANC process? I am not having success trying to get in through a couple of approved apps. What I am looking for is a step-by-step set of directions for non-techie.

I mean it’s pretty straight forward really. I’ll just use AirMap for example.

In my example here I want to fly over a golf course that’s within SLC Class B airspace so I just find the location on the map and long press on the map to highlight the position. 72355

I make sure I have my rules set to FAA-107 and check the advisories.
?oh no it’s controlled airspace that requires authorization! I have a commercial I’m suppose to shoot in 10 minutes what ever will I do!

Not to worry because I tells me that automated authorization is available below 200 feet AGL.

So I click on the “Next” button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

It now asks me a series of questions about me and my bird and when I will he flying and for how long.

Before I submit AirMap gives me the likelihood Ill be approved and if it doesn’t think I’ll be approved why. I’m good here and it says it thinks I’ll be approved so I hit submit

What do you know the FAA sends me a text message with my confirmation number and I’m off to the races!

It's important to also note that some of them are not instant... depending on the location and level of danger they can take longer to get notification. We flew at Greer International (inside joke) recently and authorization took about 30 minutes but we were requesting 150' in a ZERO grid. They gave us 100' which was just enough to do what we needed for that company.

In case you were wondering a person named Brett 8883 did just receive a LAANC authorization from the FAA.... If he can do it anybody can lol
How did you get informed of your authorization? I have been looking at texts on my phone and email for 30 minutes and see nothing. Airmap said my submission was successfully submitted.

It's important to also note that some of them are not instant... depending on the location and level of danger they can take longer to get notification. We flew at Greer International (inside joke) recently and authorization took about 30 minutes but we were requesting 150' in a ZERO grid. They gave us 100' which was just enough to do what we needed for that company.
What is a more typical time? I've been waiting 30 minutes.

What is a more typical time? I've been waiting 30 minutes.

Most of them are less than 2min (at least in my experience). If it requires a more in-depth review by people at ATC it could take days.

Also keep in mind it could get DENIED if they don't feel it's a safe endeavor. Submitting is not a guaranteed approval.

Reactions: Thomas B
How did you get informed of your authorization? I have been looking at texts on my phone and email for 30 minutes and see nothing. Airmap said my submission was successfully submitted.
They texted me. Even when I put in a submission for flying 200 feet in a 0 they still texted me right away saying that they had received my application for manual authorization and it could take up to 30 days for approval.

I get it mostly through the AirMap app. Includes a timer for the time requested
Requests that take a few minutes send a code via text... then there are a few places that are as described immediately above.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here is a link to AirMap, a near instantaneous and FAA approved way to get flight clearance.
Here’s the FAA’s current approved list of LAANC clearance providers:
I use AirMap, you might choose another.
I got AirMap to work, and it sent, by text an AirMap Verification Token: 555123 (phony number). So what does this mean? Has my local ATC approved my flight? Is it a reference to something else so that my authorization can be checked by a lawful authority? Is more coming? Thanks for help.

I got AirMap to work, and it sent, by text an AirMap Verification Token: 555123 (phony number). So what does this mean? Has my local ATC approved my flight? Is it a reference to something else so that my authorization can be checked by a lawful authority? Is more coming? Thanks for help.
No it won’t be ambiguous @Montana John.

Look Brett 8883 just got manual a authorization to fly 100 ft. in a 0 ft zone for tomorrow! (I can’t believe it, even I don’t have a 107 license and Brett 8883 is clearly a fictional persona) this is right up against SLC international too.

So it took several hours to get that one.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78