DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Single ND filter setup - question!

However, putting filters on and taking them off is a bit of a hassle and I have often wondered if in the process I am putting the gimbal under too much stress.
I had the same worry, so I built a small tool with my 3D printer:

Mavic 2 Pro Filter Holder

Since most people don't have a 3D printer, you should look around and see if there is a commercial equivalent.

Using this tool I am able to much more precisely hold the filter and more important, I am able to keep my fingers away from the camera and the gimbal. This is important because I realized the reason I was putting so much stress on the gimbal is that as I tried to push or pull on the filter to take it off or get it into place, and as I tried to rotate it during those operations, my fat fingers would overlap onto the camera and end up turning that as well.

sure, removing the filter is also an option. I just hate the hassle putting on / off the filter. By the way, anyone can suggest the brand? I am looking at Neewer, just because they are cheap.
I bought a set from ULTIMAX and they work well. There are 8 in total in a nice strong clear plastic box which cost me £ 41-38 in the UK inc. postage but I think are well worth the money.
I took my time in learning how to fit them to the HASSELBLAD”and I found the best way is to remove the main cover first then holding the main camera body gently between 2 fingers without too much pressure then place on the required filter slightly ccw to the front of the camera then with 3 fingers GENTLY pressing on the outer rim of the filter, rotate cw and “ bingo” it just locks on perfectly without any pressure or damage to either filter or camera. Just practice it a few times and you will find it dead simple!
From a Brit Newby Tony.

Hi, I am new to the drone world. Loving my MPP so far.

As my first video are a bit choppy on sunny days, I am starting to see the need of filter. My plan is to order a Single filter (for example ND16), to fix it with the camera for sunny days. When the exposure is not ideal, I will just modify the ISO and/or change shutter speed within a reasonable range to compensate wrong exposure. Does it sound good?

taking the filters on and off is tricky, because it's counterintuitive and requires fine motor skills.... The Polar Pro set of ND filters, which are excellent in my view, includes a tool for exchanging the filters. It's a small thing but it was worth it to me to buy to whole set.

The MPP filters are push-on/pull-off and should not require a tool, however I do recommend using the gimbal lock to hold the camera steady when installing, removing, or adjusting.

Definitely keep you ISO as close to 100 as possible. Use the exposure triangle for most uses. Recommend 4, 8, 16, and 32. I am of course in the desert sun of Arizona.
Here’s a link to the PolarPro filters available singly or in packs. They are pricey by comparison, but my experience is you get what you pay for.
Other filter brands may work fine for you. Search in the forum for threads on the topic.

May I please know what the numbers 4, 8, 16, and 32 represent? Thx.

Get a variable ND filter.

Just an example:
Variable ND(ND2-ND400) for DJI-Mavic. UltraPro Bundle Includes: Deluxe Microfiber Cleaning Cloth Amazon.com : Variable ND(ND2-ND400) for DJI-Mavic. UltraPro Bundle Includes: Deluxe Microfiber Cleaning Cloth : Camera & Photo

I like the idea, but it seems too heavy for gimbal calibration.

Indeed the concept is good, ND2 to ND400 would be amazingly usful, but like the comments on that Amazon page say, far too heavy !
It is 22.7gm, when a 1.2gm single filter is about all the MP or MPP gimbal will handle.
I'd also be VERY surprised if the thing didn't hit badly when calibrating at start up.

May I please know what the numbers 4, 8, 16, and 32 represent? Thx.
The reciprocal of the number is the resultant reduction in light admitted through the lens to the sensor. So ND 16 admits 1/16 or the light that no filter would- you would need to reduce your shutter speed or increase your ISO by 4 stops to maintain the same exposure as without the filter fitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnmeyer
The reciprocal of the number is the resultant reduction in light admitted through the lens to the sensor. So ND 16 admits 1/16 or the light that no filter would- you would need to reduce your shutter speed or increase your ISO by 4 stops to maintain the same exposure as without the filter fitted.
Got it, thanks...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman