DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skin or not to skin, that is the question?

GGehret

Reactions
Do skins affect the drone at all--heating up of the drone, battery, etc. Do they affect the sensors, or controller-drone connection, etc.? I'm thinking about putting a skin on my M2p and would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

they do not seem to affect the drones operating systems in any way when fitted correctly

I only installed mine to the underside n no problems. After spending 50 bucks on the skin, I now wished I hadn't. Mostly to aid in LOS n found strobes are an absolute necessity n miracle for this ole paradog. Happy flying,,,

I vote for the SKINS. So many possibilities for colors and designs. Paid about $30 and caught them on a spring holiday sale. I went with DecalGirl and very happy with quality of their product.

If you decide you want a shinny look and if it contains metallic materials there is a possibility for Radio and GPS degraded performance.

I've had not noticed and signal problems and typically get 18 to19 satellites.

image1.jpeg

For comparison....
IMG_5272.jpg

Reactions: Slade and GGehret
PS. Skins are thin and I've not noticed any heating problems. The battery bay and motors are where most of the heat builds up. The drone body inlets feed the internal cooling fans for the electronics and do a good job.

Reactions: GGehret
I only installed mine to the underside n no problems. After spending 50 bucks on the skin, I now wished I hadn't. Mostly to aid in LOS n found strobes are an absolute necessity n miracle for this ole paradog. Happy flying,,,
Yes, that's one of the reasons I thought of adding a skin too...easier to see, which is also why I fly with strobes too. :) Thanks.

PS. Skins are thin and I've not noticed any heating problems. The battery bay and motors are where most of the heat builds up. The drone body inlets feed the internal cooling fans for the electronics and do a good job.
Thanks. Yes, that area where heat builds up is where I was wondering the most for the effect of the skins. :)

I vote for the SKINS. So many possibilities for colors and designs. Paid about $30 and caught them on a spring holiday sale. I went with DecalGirl and very happy with quality of their product.

If you decide you want a shinny look and if it contains metallic materials there is a possibility for Radio and GPS degraded performance.

View attachment 78551

For comparison....
View attachment 78552
Yeah, looks great! No, not looking at shiny skins...just cool COLORS! :) THANKS!

View attachment 78551
Decal Girl ROCKS! I, also, scored on a Sale. Be prepared to spend one hour or more looking at lots of skins. Something for everyone??

For comparison....
View attachment 78552

Attachments

• F524258F-5CB8-4F69-81A2-2440BB218BD5.png
    F524258F-5CB8-4F69-81A2-2440BB218BD5.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 77
Not my cup of tea but each to their own, as for LOS remember some countries include the surroundings in the LOS. So just because you can see the drone because of the orange skin or strobes doesn't mean you'll see the power cables you about to crash into.

Once my drone gets about 50 plus feet away (or so), I can no longer see the color of the skins. Its more of a dark object against a very bright sky background. I just enjoy the way it looks close up.

if you paint it you are stuck with that colour the best thing about the skins is that they can be peeled off when you get fed up and a new one applied plus they do keep the drones finish protected that was the main reason for me to fit a skin to my MPP

I was just thinking of the company colours, so no real need to change them later on. I just didn't want to do something that may "eat away" at the integrity of the casing!

Reactions: old man mavic
I was just thinking of the company colours, so no real need to change them later on. I just didn't want to do something that may "eat away" at the integrity of the casing!
a good point some types of paint will react with the material used

if you paint it you are stuck with that colour the best thing about the skins is that they can be peeled off when you get fed up and a new one applied plus they do keep the drones finish protected that was the main reason for me to fit a skin to my MPP

Agree with protecting drone and remote controller surfaces. Another reason I like them

Do skins affect the drone at all--heating up of the drone, battery, etc. Do they affect the sensors, or controller-drone connection, etc.? I'm thinking about putting a skin on my M2p and would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

I had great luck with Decal Girl. They had a pattern I really liked but did not yet offer it for the Smart Controller. I dropped them a note and after verifying the artist pattern I liked they replied with "No problem, we can do that." My impression is they print on demand and simply laser cut to a list of known templates. Skins arrived promptly and were the vibrant color and pattern I expected!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear