DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

small car dealer looking for a drone that can take video/picture walk arounds of vehicles for sale

democar1

Reactions
I am a small car dealer owner and have never had a drone. I take pictures of my vehicles with my phone and then upload the to my website. I sometimes take video walk-arounds, but I get very shaky. I was thinking about buying a drone that can do this sort if thing for me. Does anyone have any input on this? What drone and program would be best? Again very new to this and have no idea where to start. Thanks

Reactions: 4006448 and sarahb
I sometimes take video walk-arounds, but I get very shaky
Since taking videos via your phone works well, maybe use a DJI Osmo to keep it steady? Throwing a drone into that mix is probably going to greatly complicate your workflow and not add much value (if any) as it will:
  • Take a tremendous amount of skill to fly in a fluid motion around a vehicle
  • Require a Part 107 license (as this is not recreational flying)
  • Increase the amount of time it takes to generate the final product (photos/video)
  • Be a rather expensive tool for this specific job
Here's a video showing how DJI gimbals work:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I am a small car dealer owner and have never had a drone. I take pictures of my vehicles with my phone and then upload the to my website. I sometimes take video walk-arounds, but I get very shaky. I was thinking about buying a drone that can do this sort if thing for me. Does anyone have any input on this? What drone and program would be best? Again very new to this and have no idea where to start. Thanks

I think you'd be better off with a camera stabilizer rather than a drone. There would be a considerable investment of money and time to learn to fly the drone as smoothly as you can shoot with your phone. Handling the video and photo files would be more complicated. Also, you would be required to have a Part 107 FAA license to do commercial work. That's another significant investment of time and a fee roughly equal to the cost of a stabilizer for your phone.

DJI and other manufacturers offer a variety of stabilizers and small cameras with stabilizers. Here's one example.

You should hire a Part 107 certified Drone Pilot- Unless you are ready to spend lots of time and Money for a Drone and the Part 107 testing and prep you will need to do what you want. Drones also dont take magic videos. It takes a little training to get a good product.

Reactions: mneeze
I agree that buying a gimbal is the easily solution to producing better videos.

Another thought would to acquire a drone for personal use and do some practice with it and determine whether it will do what you are attempting to do and if you feel comfortable with controlling the aircraft. The 107 stuff would be secondary at that point. Mini3 Pro comes to mind and are readily available.

Since taking videos via your phone works well, maybe use a DJI Osmo to keep it steady? Throwing a drone into that mix is probably going to greatly complicate your workflow and not add much value (if any) as it will:
  • Take a tremendous amount of skill to fly in a fluid motion around a vehicle
  • Require a Part 107 license (as this is not recreational flying)
  • Increase the amount of time it takes to generate the final product (photos/video)
  • Be a rather expensive tool for this specific job
Here's a video showing how DJI gimbals work:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Or a GoPro. The newer GoPro cameras have amazing stabilization, built-in, even without a gimbal. Not sure of a drone is the most practical way to do a walk around a car. He certainly can do it, but I would think it’ll be a whole lot easier with a handheld camera on a stick.

Reactions: cneedelman
@democar1 Where in Iowa are you located? If near Cedar Rapids I could demo a quadcopter as well as an Osmo Pocket and phone stabilized gimbal to help you decide what would work best for you. Some quadcopters have a "circle" mode but generally require a higher altitude and larger radius than would show much detail of a typical vehicle.

I agree with the others here that unless you really want overhead shots, an Osmo Pocket or stabilized gimbal for a phone is likely better for you.

-Rod

Reactions: MS Coast
...and my axe ! You don't need a drone for this. Even a software stabilised action cam would be fine for it, including top down, and high angle stuff if you just put it on a long selfie stick and walk round it !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe