DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small plane above my house....

This is really quite funny, real pilots & people are atraid of drones & here's a drone pilot afraid of a real plane :rolleyes:

Reactions: GavieboyDji
This is really quite funny, real pilots & people are atraid of drones & here's a drone pilot afraid of a real plane :rolleyes:
Different for sure, but if the plane is <400ft(which I doubt) and a collision occurred it could still be a multimillion dollar problem. I agree with trying to get a tail number and contacting the pilot. If that is not possible be sure your efforts are documented.

There's quite often a small single engine plane flying over my house, they seem lower than 400ft. If it collided with my drone, whose at fault? I'm getting no flight warnings on the app. There's a small airfield a few miles away.

Have you tried an app like Flightradar24? It the aircraft is using ADS-B technology the app or their online site FlightRadar24 will give the altitude. I use it regularly for situation awareness. It would be worth a try since it is free. It will also identify the aircraft by Make, model and tail number.

Last edited:
Always hard to tell from a pic, but I’d say he is at 1000’

That's a cell phone camera with a likely FOV of 65 - 75°. Assuming the high end of the range (75°) and a wingspan of 10 m, that's an aircraft 375 m (1230 ft) away. If the angle of view were only 45° above the horizon that would be at an altitude of 265 m (870 ft), but it looks closer to 60° which would put it at 325 m (1070 ft) AGL.

That's a cell phone camera with a likely FOV of 65 - 75°. Assuming the high end of the range (75°) and a wingspan of 10 m, that's an aircraft 375 m (1230 ft) away. If the angle of view were only 45° above the horizon that would be at an altitude of 265 m (870 ft), but it looks closer to 60° which would put it at 325 m (1070 ft) AGL.
I just went by how big it looks compared to an aircraft in a circuit

Reactions: sar104
Elementary...!

Have you tried an app like Flightradar24? It the aircraft is using ADS-B technology the app or their online site FlightRadar24 will give the altitude. I use it regularly for situation awareness. It would be worth a try since it is free. It will also identify the aircraft by Make, model and tail number.

While that's a great ap and I think you should make sure it's in your "toolbox" we need to also note that it's possible that it's only showing roughly +/-33% of the actual planes in the air. I don't have the link to support that I just remember it from a few months ago. In time it will get a LOT better but if you use it understand it's limitations.

Reactions: AnzacJack
There's a small airfield a few miles away.
Sounds to me like it is a flight school that may be there. You could take a drive over and ask if they are training and ask at what height they are flying when they fly over your home,. You could also ask them out of courtesy to avoid your area. Let them know you are a registered drone pilot with all the necessary paperwork and you are concerned for safety. Worth a try

If it’s a flight school and they are maintaining correct attitudes which I’m sure they are, it’s unlikely they will change their procedures. If it’s a single operator, then they may move somewhere else. Never hurts to communicate.
Are you 107 guys required to carry/use a radio?

While that's a great ap and I think you should make sure it's in your "toolbox" we need to also note that it's possible that it's only showing roughly +/-33% of the actual planes in the air. I don't have the link to support that I just remember it from a few months ago. In time it will get a LOT better but if you use it understand it's limitations.
Nice to see another old Phantom member over here Al!
Well, that’s interesting. Here in the UK, unless the AC doesn’t have an ADS-B transponder or it’s blocked on FR24 by the owner, or it’s Police or Military, FR24 shows 95% of operating AC of all types, including Gliders. However, we do have exceptional ADS-B coverage in Blighty.

Nice to see another old Phantom member over here Al!
Well, that’s interesting. Here in the UK, unless the AC doesn’t have an ADS-B transponder or it’s blocked on FR24 by the owner, or it’s Police or Military, FR24 shows 95% of operating AC of all types, including Gliders. However, we do have exceptional ADS-B coverage in Blighty.

I bounce around all over the forums LOL! Never know where I might be posting or researching :) I say I'm an enthusiast but my wife says I have a DRONE addiction... that's until the paychecks come rolling from our drone company then it's OK!!

As of March of 2019 this comment was current but like anything else "on the internet" take it with a grain of salt:

"Currently,[when?] about 65% of aircraft in Europe are equipped with ADS-B but only 35% in the US "

Flightradar24 - Wikipedia

Big models rockets, aka missiles ?
Reminds me of the time we scared away a spotter plane with a 1000' signal flare because he kept buzzing us - these were army days and some idiot colonel was trying to find us in a combat zone, when we did not want to be found. The pilot thought he had been fired at with a SAM and got the hell outta there. We heard the stories in the bar later on ?
Then there was another incident where a pilot in a spotter plane chased away enemy tanks with smoke rockets. These rockets were wing mounted and used to mark targets for the fighter bomber fly boys. The tankers must have thought they were real rockets.
Sorry, I digress.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
There's quite often a small single engine plane flying over my house, they seem lower than 400ft. If it collided with my drone, whose at fault? I'm getting no flight warnings on the app. There's a small airfield a few miles away.

I live a few miles from a small airfield too. At 400 feet I’ve seen them as low as my drone, but they are a good quarter of a mile maybe further from where I’m flying. If you live within 5 million from an airport you’re supposed to notify the tower before you fly. That’s the rule here in the US anyway.

I live a few miles from a small airfield too. At 400 feet I’ve seen them as low as my drone, but they are a good quarter of a mile maybe further from where I’m flying. If you live within 5 million from an airport you’re supposed to notify the tower before you fly. That’s the rule here in the US anyway.

Within 5 million? These laws are getting ridiculous...¡

Gosh! Im sorry to say this.
Why even bother about who is right who is wrong when human lifes are at stake?

You could have bring the plane down with a collision.
If im you, i will stop flying immediately. And get whatever rules and laws u have in your place regarding the airspace there is sorted out before i even charge my batt again.

I mean u could easily kill someone, even if im in the right in the eyes or law or watever, i still dont know how i will live for the rest of my life knowing i took that chance, just to fly my drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS