DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller anti virus protection?

Roger_that

Reactions
I broke down and bought the smart controller and because it is an android base unit does it need anti virus protection or is it built in? I'm used to iOS and not well versed with android.

I broke down and bought the smart controller and because it is an android base unit does it need anti virus protection or is it built in? I'm used to iOS and not well versed with android.
I may be risking life and limb but I've no virus/malware protection on my Android phone and so, none on the Smart Controller. More to the point - if you are really only using the SC for flying and not really downloading much else (no email which could be contaminated or oddball 3rd party apps), then unless DJI accidentally blows security on an upgrade, you should be safe. I do recall reading that someone was concerned about the included Browser. Who was the programmer, where are they located? I thought I recall that that person (programmer) actually responded but could not recall where!

Of course, since DJI is a China based company - one could be suspicious of them! Siphoning off images near air fields or power lines or a tin foil factory! (g)

Reactions: TampaTC
You really shouldn't need any for it. Just don't do any online banking with it, lol.
It don't have direct access to the internet, you have to connect to a hotspot from you phone or secure wifi preferably. If your looking to stream to or Facebook, YouTube, ECT it is highly unlikely of any viruses to occur. Since not many apps will be added to the controller you can always factory reset easily if every on doubt.

ITs debatable if virus detection is worthwhile or effective on any android platform.
If you use the SC as intended and dont force load random unknown software on it then its fine.
This is a controller for a drone and not designed as a general purpose phone/tablet. As a result it should be kept clean with minimum bloat for that task.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman