DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller FW Update

I had a problem connecting my SC to laptop. Usb wasn’t recognized. I entered developer mode on SC and turned USB debugging on and then it worked.

Just for a check, you are using DJI Assitant 2 for Mavic Ver. 2.0.14? I have a newer gaming laptop so I know all my USB ports are all good...but for some reason I had to switch ports a few times, then the animated connection slid to connected and all went well for my update. Insure you don't allow any of the update to go over WiFi once your cache is clear or you have done the factory reset before stating upgrade.

This update pretty much is reported to work best using Asst. 2 and not the WiFi over the air method. Also for some reason it wants to remain Charge only vice transfer files on USB connection protocol.

Actually, I use version 2.0.12. I wasn't aware of a newer version, but will try it. My USB-ports are ok with other devices so I don't think the problem lies there. And indeed, the USB stays in charge-mode and the SC doesn't turn up in Device Manager. So I have no other options than using Wifi. How can I check that the cache is clear or make it clear?

Actually, I use version 2.0.12. I wasn't aware of a newer version, but will try it. My USB-ports are ok with other devices so I don't think the problem lies there. And indeed, the USB stays in charge-mode and the SC doesn't turn up in Device Manager. So I have no other options than using Wifi. How can I check that the cache is clear or make it clear?
First You need to update Asst. 2. And as I said my USB ports are fine as well, but perhaps it just wanted to address the SC and multiple connections did the trick to get it to do so, which is why I mentioned it. IF your not getting a option to address the SC (Which we know) it's not going to show up in Device manager...in all actuality it should be showing in "Your Computer" as a drive, but to each their own on how they view and use their computers ;). How to clear memory has been discussed ad nauseam in multiple threads so I won't repeat...see post above. :)

Last edited:
Just for a check, you are using DJI Assitant 2 for Mavic Ver. 2.0.14? I have a newer gaming laptop so I know all my USB ports are all good...but for some reason I had to switch ports a few times, then the animated connection slid to connected and all went well for my update. Insure you don't allow any of the update to go over WiFi once your cache is clear or you have done the factory reset before stating upgrade.

This update pretty much is reported to work best using Asst. 2 and not the WiFi over the air method. Also for some reason it wants to remain Charge only vice transfer files on USB connection protocol.
DJI made it really clear in the release notes that the update should ONLY be done via DJI Assistance 2 (latest version). Why are people continually trying WiFi???

DJI made it really clear in the release notes that the update should ONLY be done via DJI Assistance 2 (latest version). Why are people continually trying WiFi???

It is not mentioned in the release note (attached) and my SC won't connect over USB.

Attachments

• DJI+Assistant+2+For+Mavic+2.0.14 Release Notes.pdf
    367.3 KB · Views: 2
It is not mentioned in the release note (attached) and my SC won't connect over USB.
Well it is in these:

We need to explain that may people are confuse because DJI faults. Let me explain.
DJI has 2 different applications.
1- DJI assistance 2 = This application is OUTDATED not supported anymore (Just for old devices)
2- DJI assistance 2 for Mavic = This one is the correct one for all Mavics including Smart Controller

You need to download the correct one.

This is the incorrect one DO NOT USE.

First You need to update Asst. 2. And as I said my USB ports are fine as well, but perhaps it just wanted to address the SC and multiple connections did the trick to get it to do so, which is why I mentioned it. IF your not getting a option to address the SC (Which we know) it's not going to show up in Device manager...in all actuality it should be showing in "Your Computer" as a drive, but to each their own on how they view and use their computers ;). How to clear memory has been discussed ad nauseam in multiple threads so I won't repeat...see post above. :)

Ok, thanks for all your help. I installed DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic V.2.0.14. I succeeded in switching-on Developers Mode in the SC. In the SC under Developer Options I switched on " USB debugging" and under "Select USB Configuration" I switched-on "MTP (Media transfer Protocol)". Now when I connect the SC to the PC, I get a selection window where I can select to use the USB connection to transfer files. And on the PC in the Device Manager the RC shows up under "Portable Devices" as "rm500" [but not under " Ports (COM and LPT)", but that may not be necessary]". In spite of all this DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic still doesn't see the RC.

Well it is in these:

Thanks for the information.
It says: " A Smart Controller with a firmware version of v01.00.04.75 or earlier must be updated using DJI Assistant 2."

My SC has firmware version V01.00.0700.

Ok, thanks for all your help. I installed DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic V.2.0.14. I succeeded in switching-on Developers Mode in the SC. In the SC under Developer Options I switched on " USB debugging" and under "Select USB Configuration" I switched-on "MTP (Media transfer Protocol)". Now when I connect the SC to the PC, I get a selection window where I can select to use the USB connection to transfer files. And on the PC in the Device Manager the RC shows up under "Portable Devices" as "rm500" [but not under " Ports (COM and LPT)", but that may not be necessary]". In spite of all this DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic still doesn't see the RC.

See red above.
For this update do not select transfer protocol, leave it in charge only...Who knows? That is how this update/ Asst. 2 wants it. ;)RM500 is the SC Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: TreeHugger
That’ll be in the “earlier” bracket then
No that would be more current and last (that is the April update), and needs Asst. 2 for Mavic. ;)

Should read "v01.00.0475" in that description line. One too many "Dots" :)

See red above.
For this update do not select transfer protocol, leave it in charge only...Who knows? That is how this update/ Asst. 2 wants it. ;)RM500 is the SC Thumbswayup

I know the rm500 is the SC. It doesn't matter whether I put the USB-connection in Charge-mode or MTP-mode. In either case DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic doesn't see the SC. In Charge-mode the SC doesn't even turn up in Windows Device Manager and that means (imho) that no Windows application (or Desktop-program) can make contact with it.

Just select usb debugging and leave everything else off in developer mode.

When given the options on the SC choose charge only

Reactions: TreeHugger
I updated yesterday afternoon with zero problems via Assistant. Since I had previously sideloaded Google Play and some other apps, I prepared by removing the SD card and doing a factory reset. The new update installed fine, but horribly slow, and I linked to both the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Zoom with no problems. I reset all my flight settings such as RTH and altitude limits and flew both for around 15 minutes each. Both flights synced perfectly with both DJI and AirData. So far so good, but will need to fly some more to spot any potential errors.
Thank you in arrears. After an hour of jacking around trying to update I finally was successful only after doing a factory reset. My errors were similar to those where "stopping @ 99%" and "Low Space" had been reported elsewhere.

Today installed the Google Installer 2.0 with the new firmware and is not having the framework stop working error like before. It installed without errors and is stable. I used for about 4 hours today perfectly. I will try to use Litchi tomorrow and see how behave in the new FW.
I took the opportunity to go with the Amazon version of Litchi. Glad I did. Less overhead not needing to DL Google Play + it seems to be "better" in certain areas. Anyway, my missions fly perfectly and I'm thrilled. Ended up buying Litchi again, not a biggie.

Reactions: zeusfl
Just select usb debugging and leave everything else off in developer mode.

When given the options on the SC choose charge only

Developer mode did not help with my circumstance - the software did not care. It was about raw storage space - I got tired of manually deleting things so I did the reset, which worked fine. Took a while to get my settings back the way I needed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25