DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller

Are you sure that you have the screen brightness on auto or all the way up, I can see mine in sunlight with no problem. Just thought I'd ask. :)

My first good drone, I still love it, was the Phantom 4 Pro+ with the built in screen. After I bought a Mavic 2 Zoom and tried to fly using my phone I was ready to return it. To me it was a chore to fly. The phone had to be mounted and the cable connected. After all that, even with a shade on the phone, I couldn't see the screen in sunlight. Then I got the Smart Controller and everything changed. Now all I need to do is turn on the controller and drone, tell the controller which drone I'm flying (A simple touch on the screen switches between the M2Z and the M2P, no relinking required.) and take off. And, I can see the screen in sunlight. With the Smart Controller it's a pleasure to fly the M2Z and my M2Pro. Without the Smart Controller, or possibly a Crystal Sky, I couldn't enjoy flying my Mavics. The Smart Controller was a game changer for me and well worth the money.
If you still have the phantom 4, I believe the smart controller will work with that as well provided it has the latest firmware.

Smart controller is far more enjoyable than a phone or tablet,but even with the silicon cover that has a shade I still struggled to see the screen clearly unless the sky was overcast.
I often fly my M2Z with the goggles to overcome this issue.
Last week I bought the 7" feelworld fw279 with 2200 nits,and connected it to the SC via the Hdmi...also bought the Lifthor SC holder.
Wow finally I can see the screen clearly regardless if it's very bright and sunny.
Still struggle with the mini, whether it's got the phone with a shade, or my ipad pro turned up as bright as it can go, and the shade fitted on.
I like the mini, but oh how I wish it worked with the SC., thats what put me off buying the Air 2 .
I do very similar but went for the Andycine c7 monitor (I believe the same but with a different name) I use my hdmi on my smart controller into a Vaxis atom 500 and use the monitor as a client monitor.
I’ve not had a problem with the 1000nid brightness of the SC but the 2200nid screen will certainly allow clients in Asia to view in real-time on site.

Reactions: Pushkur
Smart controller is far more enjoyable than a phone or tablet,but even with the silicon cover that has a shade I still struggled to see the screen clearly unless the sky was overcast.
I often fly my M2Z with the goggles to overcome this issue.
Last week I bought the 7" feelworld fw279 with 2200 nits,and connected it to the SC via the Hdmi...also bought the Lifthor SC holder.
Wow finally I can see the screen clearly regardless if it's very bright and sunny.
Still struggle with the mini, whether it's got the phone with a shade, or my ipad pro turned up as bright as it can go, and the shade fitted on.
I like the mini, but oh how I wish it worked with the SC., thats what put me off buying the Air 2 .
That sounds really good..

Do you know if the monitor mount will fit if the Alientech DUO conversion is on the SC ?

Is there any effect on the SC battery ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Do you know if the monitor mount will fit if the Alientech DUO conversion is on the SC ?

Thanks
Are you sure that you have the screen brightness on auto or all the way up, I can see mine in sunlight with no problem. Just thought I'd ask. :)

Thanks
Monitor has its own battery power source,if it's the monitor power you mean,I gather the Alientech has a passive,and a power,I would assume the latter comes with a battery power source,rather than feed off the SC
I'm pretty sure the mount will fit with Alientech,but..
Check with Lifthor (Google it),they will tell you for certain.
I found the FCC with parayagi 5.8 can go really far in suburbia, but maybe the Alientech works even better in town amongst severe interference ?
Just added my new skin to M2Z, about time I started improving my filming and edit videos, now that I have my rig dialled in to my liking. ?

It's compact, convenient, and the screen is great in any light. Very quick from taking it out of the case to being in the air. It's also quite a bit of money for sure. I'm glad I got mine right away with the M2Z, it was a little more reasonable that way. I was expecting future DJI quads to work with it, but so far that hasn't worked out so well. They keep saying the MA2 will, but so far nothing on that. But it sure works great with my zoom. As for is it worth it, that's pretty much a personal thing. :)
I found it excellent from the first time I used it. Well worth the money. However, having said that I have had a continuing issue with the time set. It keeps changing and although I have set it correctly when I come to use it a day later the time will have changed by a few hours which is very annoying. Still worth it for the screen and the ease of use.

Is the smart controller worth buying or just keep using a I pad.

I thought about this for a LONG time and keep being at the point where I pulled the trigger and then didn't. I finally DID buy it and wish I hadn't waited so long. For me, worth every single cent. I fly 10-15 times a week. And sometimes several hours per day. Far more convenient for me and much easier and I love not having a cable to worry about in flight. Rugged and very well built. If anything happens to this one, I would buy another without hesitation.

If you are only flying 1x or 2x per week, or a few times a month, then maybe the calculus would be different

Reactions: zeusfl
Worth every penny, its a simple efficient quality piece of kit, love it..

I share the same feeling. Even better when you can fly multiples models with it boost the controller with the Allientech duo II and you will boost all aircrafts and is very easy to use and attach in case you need that extra signal strange. Is very good from factory.

Reactions: Gary R
Thought I would add Battery Life (don't think anyone else has)
I just flew 5 batteries with the screen on maximum brightness, viewed the clips I had taken and had 18% power left, didn't think that was to shabby :)
If that isn't enough you can use a portable power bank while flying to extend your day.

Reactions: zeusfl and Gary R
I do very similar but went for the Andycine c7 monitor (I believe the same but with a different name) I use my hdmi on my smart controller into a Vaxis atom 500 and use the monitor as a client monitor.
I’ve not had a problem with the 1000nid brightness of the SC but the 2200nid screen will certainly allow clients in Asia to view in real-time on site.
Pictures of my client/directors monitor set up. Works very well in the field even in the brightness of the full sun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: zeusfl
Mine works great and I since it downloads photos from my M2Pro, I don't have to pop out the chip each time. I just zip it to my laptop using the USB connection and import photos that way. It has issues with syncing the drone photos sometimes but that is a software issue. You only have to charge the controller every 5 flights or so as its batteries last a lot longer than the drone's and if you have a mobile phone it isn't tied up when using the drone.

I've said this in other posts but one advantage of the SC is that you don't have to fumble with your phone during setup. These days, smart phones can be very expensive to repair or replace when dropped. Also, after several uses, I saw microfractures (scratches) on my screen. All-in-all, the SC is a great option if you can afford it. Like others, I bought mine as part of a refurbished model. Saved a couple of hundred bucks. Works great.

Last edited:
It's compact, convenient, and the screen is great in any light. Very quick from taking it out of the case to being in the air. It's also quite a bit of money for sure. I'm glad I got mine right away with the M2Z, it was a little more reasonable that way. I was expecting future DJI quads to work with it, but so far that hasn't worked out so well. They keep saying the MA2 will, but so far nothing on that. But it sure works great with my zoom. As for is it worth it, that's pretty much a personal thing. :)
I love mine ... screen is SUPER and it is very responsive and it doesn't tie up a phone or tablet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom