DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smelly motor after crash

lflondonol

Reactions
Hi,

Yesterday I crashed my Mavic Pro against a little hill. The drone and the gimbal are ok, just some little scratches, but now the back right motor has a burnt smell. I have reviewed that motor looking for blacked cooper wires but they look ok. I also have tried to hovering the drone at low altitude without an issue.

My question is: Which other tests should I do to ensure that the motor is ok?

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
I would ask @Thunderdrones. Also if you want to post the dat. file your device from when you hover tested it, we could probably look and see how it compares to the other motors.
Thanks for your help. I manage to extract the DAT file but I have no idea what I have to look in it. Here are the DAT file and the CSV version of it.

DAT File - Google Drive

Reactions: Former Member
Thanks for your help. I manage to extract the DAT file but I have no idea what I have to look in it. Here are the DAT file and the CSV version of it.

DAT File - Google Drive
Doesn't look like there is anything especially wrong with it. Both the current draw, and the RPMs seem compatible with the other motors. No ESC overheating that I see either. I would still wait for @Thunderdrones to comment to make sure I'm not giving you bad info.
Here in the graph you see motor current in comparison to RPMs in the two back motors.Smelly Motor.PNG

Doesn't look like there is anything especially wrong with it. Both the current draw, and the RPMs seem compatible with the other motors. No ESC overheating that I see either. I would still wait for @Thunderdrones to comment to make sure I'm not giving you bad info.
Here in the graph you see motor current in comparison to RPMs in the two back motors.View attachment 36190
Thank you so much for the time and effort :) This is a relief for me. I still will wait for @Thunderdrones comments. Thanks again.

Which other tests should I do to ensure that the motor is ok?

@MavicCF found that the rpms and current draw are within specs, so I would hover at eye height and see if the blades to the damaged motor are keeping track with the others. Also, feel if the motors are all around the same temperature after hovering for 5 or more minutes. If you have a temperature gauge, that would be helpful. You should also turn the motor with your hand to feel for scratchiness or any resistance more than the other motors. Lastly, you should take the prop off and examine the inner tabs and the top of the motor for any broken parts.

If it were me, and I smelled or saw smoke, I would replace the arm and motor just for safetys sake. If you didnt see any smoke, then it's up to you.

@MavicCF found that the rpms and current draw are within specs, so I would hover at eye height and see if the blades to the damaged motor are keeping track with the others. Also, feel if the motors are all around the same temperature after hovering for 5 or more minutes. If you have a temperature gauge, that would be helpful. You should also turn the motor with your hand to feel for scratchiness or any resistance more than the other motors. Lastly, you should take the prop off and examine the inner tabs and the top of the motor for any broken parts.

If it were me, and I smelled or saw smoke, I would replace the arm and motor just for safetys sake. If you didnt see any smoke, then it's up to you.
Thanks. I will test tomorrow and will post the results :)

Reactions: MavicCF
After two more flights, the drone is doing great. As far as I saw, no excessive high temperature in the motor. I will download the DAT files for those tests and will try to create that chats to compare both back motors.

Thank you all for your help :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan