DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Snow Canyon Park Utah

Very nice vid with good colors and good shots you show us the beautiful majestic landscape.
Music is also very good and helps the great shots to a kind of epicness.
Good work!

Ciao Rob

Thanks. I'm trying to teach myself how to fly. How to get good shots. And how to piece it together for good videos. Steep learning curve!

Enjoyed your video. Keep learning. Each time you will learn new stuff. You go up expecting to see one thing and your footage gives you something else. Helps you learn and be creative.

Nice video ,I love the color great editing I could tell you used nd filter ?

Nd32pl

I knew it. Nice work

I seem to keep the 32 on all the time. Occasionally a 64.

Going to Utah tomorrow. Thought that Snow Canyon was off limits? Has the new rule of a 5 dollar a day permit come into force?

Going to Utah tomorrow. Thought that Snow Canyon was off limits? Has the new rule of a 5 dollar a day permit come into force?

Unfortunately, you may be out of luck. The latest info I see online for Snow Canyon requires people to apply for a permit at least 2 weeks in advance. Here’s what I found.https://site.utah.gov/stateparks/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2017/08/Drone-Use-in-Snow-Canyon.pdf

But, not to worry! There are many, many places near there that are Federal BLM land and are very beautiful. Hope you’re able to find a nice place to fly while you’re in the area.

Unfortunately, you may be out of luck. The latest info I see online for Snow Canyon requires people to apply for a permit at least 2 weeks in advance. Here’s what I found.https://site.utah.gov/stateparks/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2017/08/Drone-Use-in-Snow-Canyon.pdf

But, not to worry! There are many, many places near there that are Federal BLM land and are very beautiful. Hope you’re able to find a nice place to fly while you’re in the area.

There's another attempt to regulate inconsistently with federal law:

This prohibition extends to any devices launched or operated from State Park property, as well as any launched from private property outside of the State Park boundaries.

I'm not from the US, and have been breaking my head on trying to find an app which will tell me where it is legal to fly. Any suggestions?

There's another attempt to regulate inconsistently with federal law:

This prohibition extends to any devices launched or operated from State Park property, as well as any launched from private property outside of the State Park boundaries.

Yup! Don’t even get me started on the rules in Utah state parks. I could rant for days. Inconsistent, even from park to park, and often the rules have clauses that overstep, like the one you mention. Sigh.

I'm not from the US, and have been breaking my head on trying to find an app which will tell me where it is legal to fly. Any suggestions?

There are two reasons why you might not be able to fly in a specific location. One is controlled or special-use airspace, which can be seen on any of the usual apps. The other is local or federal restrictions on takeoff and landing (flight operations). That's not an airspace issue and there is no app that I've seen that has assembled a comprehensive list. National Parks and all kinds of designated wilderness are easy - prohibited, but state and local parks, etc., are more complicated - you have to check their websites.

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
I feel your pain, my friend! I live here and it still breaks my brain. Try starting with AirMap or KittyHawk but don’t stop there. Google info for state parks to find the latest rules and just plan on national parks being out of bounds. Sorry we’re such a mess over here.

‎AirMap for Drones

‎Kittyhawk: Drone Flight Ops

Reactions: deepakvrao
There are two reasons why you might not be able to fly in a specific location. One is controlled or special-use airspace, which can be seen on any of the usual apps. The other is local or federal restrictions on takeoff and landing (flight operations). That's not an airspace issue and there is no app that I've seen that has assembled a comprehensive list. National Parks and all kinds of designated wilderness are easy - prohibited, but state and local parks, etc., are more complicated - you have to check their websites.

What if I am outside all parks, not in an area which is shown as restricted by Airmap, and I dont fly over the parks? That should be legal right? Then, I need some app that tells me the boundaries of parks. Is something like that available?

What if I am outside all parks, not in an area which is shown as restricted by Airmap, and I dont fly over the parks? That should be legal right? Then, I need some app that tells me the boundaries of parks. Is something like that available?

It depends on the land ownership and rules. In fact flying over the parks is legal - they have no jurisdiction over the airspace above them.

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking

As you Google the state parks to see their operations rules you’ll find maps of their boundaries. If you’re staying near St. George you’ll mainly want to be aware of Snow Canyon and maybe Sand Hollow. But most other open areas near there are public lands where operations are permitted. Maybe do a search on US public lands near St. George for some good ideas. [emoji106] I’m sure you’ll find some nice locations. It’s beautiful down there.

As you Google the state parks to see their operations rules you’ll find maps of their boundaries. If you’re staying near St. George you’ll mainly want to be aware of Snow Canyon and maybe Sand Hollow. But most other open areas near there are public lands where operations are permitted. Maybe do a search on US public lands near St. George for some good ideas. [emoji106] I’m sure you’ll find some nice locations. It’s beautiful down there.

Sorry to be a total noob, but on this map, I have no idea which would be legal to fly on. The yellow marked 'bureau of land management lands'?Screenshot_72.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c