DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Snowboarding with the mavic

jsolts

Reactions
Hey guys.

I just recently picked up the mavic and will be taking it snowboarding in a couple weeks.

I have been reading up on all the forums about the Do's and don't of hitting the slopes with the mavic, and I'm pretty solid on how I'm going to use it.

But what I'm wondering is what kind of case or backpack should I be looking at ?

I'm a pretty experienced snowboarder, but even the best of us takes a good spill every now and again and the last thing I want to do is add insult to Injury and wreck the mavic in the process.

Any suggestions ?

Going to red Mountain in rossland BC Canada.
Probably going to do the back country ski via cat .
But most Riding will be done on the back side of the hill away from the crowds on the main runs.

I would almost suggest a "sling bag" that can be rotated in front of you and secure in that fashion as you are unlikely to "mousetrap" and as such the Mavic would be protected.

Reactions: rfc
But most Riding will be done on the back side of the hill away from the crowds on the main runs.

Red is nice and laid back.... but anywhere inbounds they won't let you fly, and if they catch you they'll throw you out. Backcountry stuff is usually ok as long as the other people you're with are cool with it.

My suggestions are:
-learn to hand launch and hand catch. Sometimes the powder is too soft for even a landing pad
-use a snow jacket with inside pocket room for batteries. Having them in your pack they will get cold and lose power.
-get a visor for your RC control -- it will be really bright and hard to see on the slopes
-photographer's gloves are a great idea
-you don't need a specialty pack, just protection for the drone and RC. You probably will have a backpack you're using for the backcountry stuff anyways, so use that, and put the Mavic and RC inside it, protected by these: https://www.amazon.com/Derong-Contr...771&sr=1-71&keywords=dji+mavic+protector+case

But what I'm wondering is what kind of case or backpack should I be looking at ?

Any suggestions ?
I use a small "sling" Lowepro...They make a raft of camera bags; the one I usually use for my DSLR, I just re-pack for the Mavic...plenty of room.
That said though, when I'm skiing, I think I'd favor a dual strap bag...more like a back pack that you take off to fly the bird.
This will get you started:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lowepro

Red is nice and laid back.... but anywhere inbounds they won't let you fly, and if they catch you they'll throw you out. Backcountry stuff is usually ok as long as the other people you're with are cool with it.

My suggestions are:
-learn to hand launch and hand catch. Sometimes the powder is too soft for even a landing pad
-use a snow jacket with inside pocket room for batteries. Having them in your pack they will get cold and lose power.
-get a visor for your RC control -- it will be really bright and hard to see on the slopes
-photographer's gloves are a great idea
-you don't need a specialty pack, just protection for the drone and RC. You probably will have a backpack you're using for the backcountry stuff anyways, so use that, and put the Mavic and RC inside it, protected by these: https://www.amazon.com/Derong-Contr...771&sr=1-71&keywords=dji+mavic+protector+case

I did a google search to see if there were any drone rules at red and I couldn't find anything.

Thought I'd inquire when I got there.

Have you tried using it there ?

I was thinking about tossing a couple of those hand warmers in with my batteries to keep them warm. Anyone have experience with this ? Should I avoid this for any reason ?

I have the fly more bag already. But I didn't think it would be tough enough to protect the mavic.

I also thought about wearing a bag on the front as it's a lot less likely I'll land chest down . (Notice I said a lot less)

I do like those hard cases you suggested. Maybe do both and toss them in a back pack on the front.

Anything else I should know or avoid ?

I did a google search to see if there were any drone rules at red and I couldn't find anything.

I was thinking about tossing a couple of those hand warmers in with my batteries to keep them warm. Anyone have experience with this ? Should I avoid this for any reason ?

I have the fly more bag already. But I didn't think it would be tough enough to protect the mavic.

I also thought about wearing a bag on the front as it's a lot less likely I'll land chest down . (Notice I said a lot less)

I do like those hard cases you suggested. Maybe do both and toss them in a back pack on the front.

I haven't been to Red in about 10 years ...so my time there was pre-drone. But I don't know of a single resort in North America that allows inbounds use of drones. You might want to contact them on twitter @redresort -- if they don't allow it anywhere, it might all be for naught

Hand warmers are perfectly safe to toss in your pack. I’ve even rubber-banded to the back of my phone. Only prob is they don’t seem to stay very warm when they’re exposed or just floating around in your pack, so wrap in a T-shirt or something. Also the foot ones are absolutely worthless-don’t waste your money on them.

'Just got the word back from Red Mountain: drones are prohibited. Not a big surprise -- they are verbotten, Silver Star, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, and Fernie that I know of.

I haven't been to Red in about 10 years ...so my time there was pre-drone. But I don't know of a single resort in North America that allows inbounds use of drones. You might want to contact them on twitter @redresort -- if they don't allow it anywhere, it might all be for naught
In that case, I am blessed. My little local ski resort lets me fly all the time. I've developed a relationship with them though; always notify them when I'm flying and where I'll be. They've used some of my footage for promotional purposes; I adhere to all of the rules (including some of the more stringent 107 rules); never fly during races (actually I believe FIS has written rules about UAS's). A bit of introduction and explanation can go a long way to obtain permission. Besides, worst case, most all ski resorts have rules now about mandatory helmets, don't they?;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito