DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So do you leave blades and gimbal lock when you traveling in vehicle?

Always put both lock and cover on. Too expensive to be flapping about when transported. I have followed another users advice and have ordered remove before flight ribbons to both....

Yes always, I do frequently check the security of the blades but I don't take them off regularly. I do unfold them for updates though just in case it spins a prop there is nothing unbalanced. Also unless the drone is actively on and doing something the gimbal lock and gimbal cover are installed. Even if I were to drive a mile down the road I would install them. No reason not to, it's not exactly a time consuming task and these things are fragile enough.

I always take the props off when storing for more than a day. I think its more of a habit from tuning racing quads than anything. Im maybe overly conscious of putting any extra/uneven load on the motors as their not easily replaced.

Always put the gimbal lock on after flight. No sense in having the most delicate part of the quad flopping about.

I stopped putting on the lock because i was getting gimbal errors from forgetting to take it off before flight.

Simply tie a pc of red ribbon or something of that nature to the lock so you can't miss it . Personally I have the red Remove Before Flight tag on mine and have used them on all my gimbal locks over the years .

1 Red Linen Lanyard Remove Before Flight Pilot Bag Luggage Tag Keychain Keyrings | eBay

Just drill a small hole in the lock and attach with sewing thread as the metal ring is too stiff to use with the Mavic .

The face I make when I forget to take the gimbal lock off before starting up my MP.

Attachments

• scared_man.jpg
    scared_man.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 35
Blades always on, gimbal lock and cover always on when transporting. I was nervious the 1st couple time putting on the gimble lock, but now it is second nature to put on.

Props and lock in for me all the time and cover with the guard when it's in the case. Oh, and rubber band to keep the props closed. I still haven't perfected putting the lock in place but I think there's a YouTube video on it but I'm still doing trial and error. I feel more secure about the gimble when it's on and I like it secured when I change filters.

Reactions: Soundtekk
After landing, if i am done, first thing i do always even before folding the arms, i put on gimbal lock and dome just to avoid unecessary abuse on the gimbal itself.

Blades off for any time I power up without flying, updating etc. Blades on at all other times. Gimbal lock and dome on when not powered on. No exceptions. Too expensive to let it bounce about all willy-nilly. Found its easiest to put Gimbal lock in by holding the drone nose down. That way gravity holds the gimbal in the perfect position.

When I put on the gimbal lock I first fold the props in, turn the mavic upside down and use one hand to steady the camera so it's steady when the lock snaps into place. I keep it in a case and the lock is always in place when the mavic is stored. That lock is a tricky thing to install.

6a4002cc651955f54f898d2a0e0f4d75.jpg

Here’s what I use...it’s a cinch! And blades stay on in hard case.

d2c49a92bb660c59862b0d42c40a7dfc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: breid
Blades always on, gimbal lock and cover always on when transporting

I never take the blades off. Like...ever. They're folding blades, designed to stay on there. There they stay.

I have also always used the annoying gimbal lock DJI provided with the unit, but recently started using the cap that @NinjaNut posted above. That thing works great.
I had emailed DJI soon after purchase and they confirmed that the lock should be put on for all transport. It's not designed to bounce around like that all the time. I think it can stress/stretch the rubber bands that are part of the gimbal support. In any case, it's pretty easy to do and the cover also keeps the lens clean. I would think wrapping in a towel or anything would get lint on it.

I've reached the age when I need either written or visual reminders of what to do and when to do it. I always leave blades on and both gimbal lock and dome whenever I transport or store.

And, yes, I always fly with a written checklist......this beast is way too expensive to trust to memory.

Jake

I've reached the age when I need either written or visual reminders of what to do and when to do it. I always leave blades on and both gimbal lock and dome whenever I transport or store.

And, yes, I always fly with a written checklist......this beast is way too expensive to trust to memory.

Jake
Jake, did you remember to put on underwear today? Better check. Just to be sure. ;)

Just kidding. That's a fine looking kit you have there. Must be nice to have everything well protected and in one place. Thumbswayup

Reactions: lightbg
Jake, did you remember to put on underwear today? Better check. Just to be sure. ;)

Just kidding. That's a fine looking kit you have there. Must be nice to have everything well protected and in one place. Thumbswayup

The best part about this is the case is one of those $29.95 pick-a-part hard cases from Harbor Freight. I use 'em for cameras, other R/C's, etc. I buy one on sale and keep it in the garage just to have when I need it.

jake

The best part about this is the case is one of those $29.95 pick-a-part hard cases from Harbor Freight. I use 'em for cameras, other R/C's, etc. I buy one on sale and keep it in the garage just to have when I need it.e
Thanks! I did not even know HF sold things like this.

Reactions: lightbg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman