DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So it’s main enemy is the Wind

Not surprising being only 249g
What would you suggest it’s max wind level?

We recently flew from inside the car with 20 mph winds the problem is at what point your camera is going to start to flip.

Wind is always going to be something you need to negotiate and more time you spend in the wind the better, learn how to fly with the wind , back wards against it to protect
the camera.

Most just obey the wind gods but the more comfortable you get with flying in the wind , the less panic, the more you can fly and capture a tornado some day. ;)

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Size/Weight is really not a direct factor in how a UAS handles constant wind, propulsion power is. However weight would be a factor in how well it can handle wind changes.
Granted there is a correlation between power and size, but that's more related to available technology. After all, who would have thought a decade ago that a small aircraft like the Mini could fly for over 20 minutes in 15 mile winds on just onboard battery power?

its main enemy, is finding itself in a situation it cant handle,because its pilot put it there ,whenever our mavs have issues of any sort its mostly down to pilot error,as @sar104 will attest to when he checks the Datt files,yes they do go wrong but not that often, its all down to how they are maintained and flown

I’m waiting for the rain to stop so I can fly in 23mph / 38mph gusts (UAV forecast), I also want to check out my new £8 special Anemometer. I just don’t understand why people are critical of the MM, I’ve been flying in wind well over the defined limits as have others on this forum and this drone is a technical marvel, yes you have to be sensible and aware of your surroundings, and yes the wind can be your enemy if you don’t respect it.

Reactions: old man mavic
So UAV forecast had 24mph, BBC 20mph, and I measured 16.3mph with some hedgerows breaking up the wind a bit. MM was bouncing around, video rock solid.
Nice photo of your anemometer and a good idea for a stocking filler. I've hinted already!!

Reactions: TDZHDTV
So UAV forecast had 24mph, BBC 20mph, and I measured 16.3mph with some hedgerows breaking up the wind a bit. MM was bouncing around, video rock solid.
great your post just blew me away,down wind of course

Size/Weight is really not a direct factor in how a UAS handles constant wind, propulsion power is. However weight would be a factor in how well it can handle wind changes.
Granted there is a correlation between power and size, but that's more related to available technology. After all, who would have thought a decade ago that a small aircraft like the Mini could fly for over 20 minutes in 15 mile winds on just onboard battery power?

If power-to-weight ratio is kept constant then smaller drones will be less wind resistant. That's because mass (therefore power) goes approximately with the cube of the linear size, while surface area (and hence drag) goes with the square of the size. So as the size decreases, the mass and power drop faster than the drag.

Power is power and you need power to counteract an external force. If anything, a smaller size/weight would produce less drag, so a smaller force would be needed.
You can have a lot of power in a small space. Harder to do, and eventually will have physical limitations but still possible.

Also consider cars. Cars with smaller in size/weight can go a lot faster/have more power than decades ago.

However weight provides inertial damping which helps in abrupt changes in wind.

Power is power and you need power to counteract an external force. If anything, a smaller size/weight would produce less drag, so a smaller force would be needed.
You can have a lot of power in a small space. Harder to do, and eventually will have physical limitations but still possible.

Also consider cars. Cars with smaller in size/weight can go a lot faster/have more power than decades ago.

However weight provides inertial damping which helps in abrupt changes in wind.

I don't think you understood my post. A smaller aircraft does have less drag but, as size decreases, weight decreases faster than drag. DJI has kept power-to-weight somewhat constant, which is why top speed across the models scales with size. That is exactly the manifestation of the drag considerations that I explained above.

Anyway - I didn't intend this to become a debate on opinions - it's basic physics, not opinion.

There's the key: DJI decided to keep power to weight ratio constant. They don't have to. I'm just saying in general, it's power that counts. It may be impractical or impossible to get the power needed in a smaller space or weight with, but it is still power that counts, and with technology developing, later it may be possible.

Reactions: javiator
There's the key: DJI decided to keep power to weight ratio constant. They don't have to. I'm just saying in general, it's power that counts. It may be impractical or impossible to get the power needed in a smaller space or weight with, but it is still power that counts, and with technology developing, later it may be possible.

It's not really an independent variable though. They certainly could increase power, but that would decrease flight time.

It's not really an independent variable though. They certainly could increase power, but that would decrease flight time.
You're missing my intent. I'm just being general/theoretical. Intuitively one would think "it's small and light so it's not possible to handle wind". Not necessarily so. After all, one would not think a 250g drone could handle 20mph wind. But it can! It has the necessary power and means to transfer that power against the wind.

You're missing my intent. I'm just being general/theoretical. Intuitively one would think "it's small and light so it's not possible to handle wind". Not necessarily so. After all, one would not think a 250g drone could handle 20mph wind. But it can! It has the necessary power and means to transfer that power against the wind.
if you put in there a 6000kv motors and a 45A ESC and a 90C lipo - yes it will handle it fine.
MM is not built like that, it is built to slowly sip power to give you a 30min flight time, but to buzz around as a miniwhoop for 5 min. so far from what i saw the max amperage it takes is the 10A under the wind in S mode and 4.5A at loiter.
my 3" mini racer burns 40A easy at max thrust.

Reactions: old man mavic
DJI specifies 8 m/s (18 mph).
i think it was really struggling when the forecast was saying it was 12mph wind in my area, it was screaming quite bad trying to keep the position. it was on .200 firmware, i didnot test it yet with .300 in the wind to see if it will show warnings or not in a similar situation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka